Mounting Shimano SPD-SL on SIDI Genius shoes?

Old October 25th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TomYoung

Default Mounting Shimano SPD-SL on SIDI Genius shoes?

Hi all:

I'm switching pedal systems from the old-style Look setup to Shimano
Ultegra PP-6610 pedals that use SPD-SL cleats. The shoes are older (~
year 2000) SIDI Genius shoes and I'm finding that the mounting screws
for the SPD-SL cleats are too short to engage the female thread in the
shoe's sole. I can mount the cleats OK using the screws that came
with the Look cleats, but I'm surprised I have to resort to that. Am
I missing something here? Some adjustment to the shoe I'm supposed to
make, a different adapter plate, or something else?

TIA.

Tom Young
Old October 26th 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"TomYoung" wrote in message
Hi all:

I'm switching pedal systems from the old-style Look setup to Shimano
Ultegra PP-6610 pedals that use SPD-SL cleats. The shoes are older (~
year 2000) SIDI Genius shoes and I'm finding that the mounting screws
for the SPD-SL cleats are too short to engage the female thread in the
shoe's sole. I can mount the cleats OK using the screws that came
with the Look cleats, but I'm surprised I have to resort to that. Am
I missing something here? Some adjustment to the shoe I'm supposed to
make, a different adapter plate, or something else?

TIA.

Tom Young

Shimano has a special set of SPD-SL mounting screws for Sidi shoes. They
run about $7 if I recall correctly.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old October 28th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TomYoung

On Oct 25, 11:34*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
"TomYoung" wrote in message

Hi all:

I'm switching pedal systems from the old-style Look setup to Shimano
Ultegra PP-6610 pedals that use SPD-SL cleats. *The shoes are older (~
year 2000) SIDI Genius shoes and I'm finding that the mounting screws
for the SPD-SL cleats are too short to engage the female thread in the
shoe's sole. *I can mount the cleats OK using the screws that came
with the Look cleats, but I'm surprised I have to resort to that. *Am
I missing something here? *Some adjustment to the shoe I'm supposed to
make, a different adapter plate, or something else?

TIA.

Tom Young

Shimano has a special set of SPD-SL mounting screws for Sidi shoes. They
run about $7 if I recall correctly.

--Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike:

Thanks for the info. I've found the screws and I'll order a set if
needed, but the Look screws seem to be working OK.

Tom Young
Old October 28th 08, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 26, 1:34*am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
"TomYoung" wrote in message

I'm switching pedal systems from the old-style Look setup to Shimano
Ultegra PP-6610 pedals that use SPD-SL cleats. *The shoes are older (~
year 2000) SIDI Genius shoes and I'm finding that the mounting screws
for the SPD-SL cleats are too short to engage the female thread in the
shoe's sole. *I can mount the cleats OK using the screws that came
with the Look cleats, but I'm surprised I have to resort to that. *Am
I missing something here? *Some adjustment to the shoe I'm supposed to
make, a different adapter plate, or something else?

TIA.

Tom Young

Shimano has a special set of SPD-SL mounting screws for Sidi shoes. They
run about $7 if I recall correctly.

Well, I looked via google and wow, what a mess! Someone said they
bought the Shimano screw pack and the screws were too long.

Wailing, and gnashing of teeth. Buncha crybabies. Expecting ShimaNo to
supply spare parts in the first place, let alone screws to fit
non-ShimaNo shoes?!?!?! What were they thinking? If at all?

"Should I get a machinist to make me some?" Damn, no wonder the global
economy is down the tubes!

OK, OK, to show what a great guy I am, I took a couple of the screws
out of my spare Gen. IV's with the yellow (float) SPD-SL cleats on
them, that work with the 6610 pedals.

The stock ShimaNo steel inserts are used, along with Sidi plastic
adapter plates. Variables and unknowns covered?

I looked through my bag of saved cleat screws (Campy, Sidi mostly I
guess) when I put these cleats on and came up with a dark Sidi screw
for the toe. It's some kind of pan head combination Phillips/slot (use
the slot), that has 15mm of thread on it, for the toe-position screw.
The paired aft-position screws are shiny silver, also supposedly
combination head but really slot. Tuff stuff, I can't read any label
marks on those (thinking IRT a trip to your local BS, helping them by
knowing what you're after), but I see 10mm of thread on them,
measuring from the base of the screw head to the end of the screw,
measured as with the 15'ers. So, two 10's, one 15.

Those have lots of engagement, but seem to be just short of raising
the footbed when lubed and run home hard, and retightened at least
once after riding. YMMV; I have a fair number of Look screws too and
didn't use those for some reason, perhaps remembering the time I
subbed one of those for a lost (duh) Campy or Sidi screw on my new
Campy ProFit cleats and then the cleat wouldn't release at the first
stop light and I could have been badly injured or killed, with only
myself to blame had I survived in the first place, for being a
dumbbell and not making sure I could unclip before riding, and keeping
the OEM items tight in the first place so they didn't get lost! Live
and learn g! --D-y