spacer behind right cup in octolink bb?

Old October 27th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mtb Dad

Default spacer behind right cup in octolink bb?

I'm putting an ultegra road crank on a cross frame with a 68-109 bb.
The 39 ring brushes the chainstay. 68-118, the next size available,
puts the crank 7-8 mm right of the chain line.

Anyone have experience putting a 1 or 2 mm spacer behind the right
cup? If this leaves the left cup loose, is there a way to pack it out
a bit (ie between cup and cartridge?)

Thanks

Lister
Old October 28th 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 27, 12:18*pm, mtb Dad wrote:
I'm putting an ultegra road crank on a cross frame with a 68-109 bb.
The 39 ring brushes the chainstay. *68-118, the next size available,
puts the crank 7-8 mm right of the chain line.

Anyone have experience putting a 1 or 2 mm spacer behind the right
cup? *If this leaves the left cup loose, is there a way to pack it out
a bit (ie between cup and cartridge?)

Thanks

Lister

Yes, add a wee spacer under the RH cup but remember it moves the left
arm inboard. OR get a rod or big socket and a hammer and 'modify' the
RH stay a wee bit if the material will allow it(steel or aluminum).
Old October 28th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mtb Dad

On Oct 28, 5:27*am, Qui si parla Campagnolo
wrote:
On Oct 27, 12:18*pm, mtb Dad wrote:

I'm putting an ultegra road crank on a cross frame with a 68-109 bb.
The 39 ring brushes the chainstay. *68-118, the next size available,
puts the crank 7-8 mm right of the chain line.

Anyone have experience putting a 1 or 2 mm spacer behind the right
cup? *If this leaves the left cup loose, is there a way to pack it out
a bit (ie between cup and cartridge?)

Thanks

Lister

Yes, add a wee spacer under the RH cup but remember it moves the left
arm inboard. OR get a rod or big socket and a hammer and 'modify' the
RH stay a wee bit if the material will allow it(steel or aluminum).

Thanks. I've got the bb in with a 1mm washer, and have the
clearance. Seems snug, but hasn't been ridden yet. Just wondered at
what point the left cup isn't snug enough on the cartridge. It has a
shoulder (agaisnt the shell) which prevents it snugging up to the
cartridge as much as it did without the washer.

The frame is aluminum. Ok to dent?
Old October 29th 08, 09:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bernhard Agthe

Hi,

mtb Dad wrote:
Thanks. I've got the bb in with a 1mm washer, and have the
clearance. Seems snug, but hasn't been ridden yet. Just wondered at
what point the left cup isn't snug enough on the cartridge. It has a
shoulder (agaisnt the shell) which prevents it snugging up to the
cartridge as much as it did without the washer.

In some cases the bottom bracket comes with washers by default. The
manual says "mount washers A left and B and C right" - in my case
they're all on the left side by now. In most cases a washer of 1mm is
not a problem, as long as the *larger* part of the threads is still
inside the bottom bracket tube.

The frame is aluminum. Ok to dent?

Try to avoid it - I wouldn't do it personally on aluminium frames. I
wouldn't even with a steel frame - there is always a way ;-)

Have fun ;-)

Old October 29th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

[...]

Yes as long as the 'dent' is round, not creased. Why you use a big
socket and hammer. Not a big deal, manufacturers do it all the time.
Old October 29th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

mtb Dad wrote:

I'm putting an ultegra road crank on a cross frame with a 68-109 bb.
The 39 ring brushes the chainstay. 68-118, the next size available,
puts the crank 7-8 mm right of the chain line.

Anyone have experience putting a 1 or 2 mm spacer behind the right
cup? If this leaves the left cup loose, is there a way to pack it out
a bit (ie between cup and cartridge?)

Yes, I used a spacer/ring from a Mavic wheel for that purpose on my Empella
CX bike.

Derk
Old October 29th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mtb Dad

Thanks all.

Still wondering at what point the cartridge starts moving around in
the left cup (or the right), and what you can do if it happens. Shim
the inside of the left cup? I still have a millimeter or two of room
for the crank and spindle to move right if I need more room, but don't
want the cartridge to begin clunking around between the cups.

Thx L

Profile spacer I.D. and O.D./ CF Seatbases. madmattunipro Unicycling 6 January 4th 07 05:00 AM
Spacer in those Aheadset Artoi Techniques 28 September 19th 06 10:06 AM
1 mm bb spacer dfcas Marketplace 0 July 14th 05 10:14 PM
WTB: 1mm BB Spacer Wasatch Marketplace 3 July 14th 05 09:03 PM
cassette spacer 7sp+1>8/9 hub [email protected] Techniques 0 January 11th 05 07:31 PM