Please stay on topic?

Old July 26th 05, 12:08 AM
Jordan Hukee

Default Please stay on topic?

Threads about Lance¹s personal life and ³what bike should I buy² threads are
not supposed to be posted here in the Marketplace...

Come on, people.

Thanks,

Jordan

Old July 26th 05, 02:09 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jordan Hukee wrote:
Threads about Lance¹s personal life and ³what bike should I buy² threads are
not supposed to be posted here in the Marketplace...

Come on, people.

Thanks,

Jordan

'not supposed to be'...funny. I like to think of these NGs as a bunch
of people standing artound in a circle, yaking about whatever.
Sometimes on bikes, sometimes on something else...so what.

read, ya might learn something about something else 'sides toys, I
certainly have.

Old July 26th 05, 02:18 PM
MStuartev

Qui Si
if you want to chit chat blah blah
subscribe to rec.bicycles.misc
(serious... serious blah blah blah over there)

if you want to post stuff for sale/WTB etc, then use this NG

I agree, there is a bit of 'everyman' on the NG's, but some organization
is nice...save a lot of WASTED TIME

Old July 27th 05, 02:22 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

MStuartev wrote:
Qui Si
if you want to chit chat blah blah
subscribe to rec.bicycles.misc
(serious... serious blah blah blah over there)

if you want to post stuff for sale/WTB etc, then use this NG

I agree, there is a bit of 'everyman' on the NG's, but some organization
is nice...save a lot of WASTED TIME

Well, whatever blows yer skirt up but this is a NG about toys,
afterall. Time importance in general, since they are 'toys'.

Old July 27th 05, 06:42 PM
Fritz

On 26 Jul 2005 06:09:08 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:

Jordan Hukee wrote:
Threads about Lance¹s personal life and ³what bike should I buy² threads are
not supposed to be posted here in the Marketplace...

Come on, people.

Thanks,

Jordan

'not supposed to be'...funny. I like to think of these NGs as a bunch
of people standing artound in a circle, yaking about whatever.
Sometimes on bikes, sometimes on something else...so what.

read, ya might learn something about something else 'sides toys, I
certainly have.

U da Man Peter! Well put.
Old July 27th 05, 09:18 PM
Jordan Hukee

I wouldn't disagree with Peter's statements IF this were a general
discussion newsgroup that also just happened to be a forum for selling.

But there are several rec.bicycles bulletin boards that are tailored for
different uses. I think most people come to marketplace to see what is for
sale, not to read bickering about subjects that are covered ad nauseum in
rec.bicycles.racing and others. If you are into this sort of discourse (I
admit it is sometimes entertaining) you owe it to yourself to visit RBR.
They have taken things to levels unimaginable on RBM. But I digress...

The "guidelines" for posting are established to keep the forum from
degenerating until it is no longer a valuable medium. Eventually people who
really want to buy and sell will stop coming. Maybe just a few at a time,
but after a while they will be missed.

Then you can talk about Lance all you want, but it might be tough to reach
people who want to buy or sell bike parts. =)

Jordan

I On 7/27/05 10:42 AM, in article

Old July 28th 05, 02:12 PM
Brian Nystrom

MStuartev wrote:
Qui Si
if you want to chit chat blah blah
subscribe to rec.bicycles.misc
(serious... serious blah blah blah over there)

if you want to post stuff for sale/WTB etc, then use this NG

I agree, there is a bit of 'everyman' on the NG's, but some organization
is nice...save a lot of WASTED TIME

There are several ways to deal with this. First off, set your newsreader
to display messages in a threaded fashion instead of individually. That
dramatically condenses the list of posts and makes it easy to ignore
threads that you have no interest in.

If that's not good enough for you, all you have to do is click on any
message in the "offending" thread and and hit the "k" key to kill the
thread. You won't see it again. Problem solved.

If there are particular people who's posts you don't want to see, it's a
simple procedure to create a filter. Check the Help for your newsreader
for details.

If you happen to bd using a lame newsreader that doesn't offer these
features, download Mozilla Thunderbird. It's free and it's an excellent
mail/news program. www.mozilla.org
Old July 28th 05, 03:46 PM

Jordan Hukee wrote:

If you are into this sort of discourse (I
admit it is sometimes entertaining) you owe it to yourself to visit RBR.
They have taken things to levels unimaginable on RBM. But I digress...

So do they (I). "Yakking", other.

The "guidelines" for posting are established to keep the forum from
degenerating until it is no longer a valuable medium. Eventually people who
really want to buy and sell will stop coming. Maybe just a few at a time,
but after a while they will be missed.

Then you can talk about Lance all you want, but it might be tough to reach
people who want to buy or sell bike parts. =)

Well, someone crossposted the "Lance left his family" crap to rbm and
rbr. You're right, IMHO, about rbm being polluted to some extent (it'll
flush) but hey, I gotta say: Subject Line.
"I've got my nose up Lance Armstrong's ass" doesn't indicate a "parts
for money/trade" for all the OP/crossposter might have been trying to
sell something here. "Don't click on it here, go over to rbr" g

A K.P. low yield thermonuclear reminder to the cross poster? Completely
in order AFAIC. Over n' out. --TP