Want to convert Dura-Ace 12-23 to 12-27

Old October 21st 08, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

Default Want to convert Dura-Ace 12-23 to 12-27

I have looked everywhere and cannot find anyplace that sells
individual cogs. That is, I'd like to keep the 12, 13, 14, 15 and
replace the 16-17 with a 17-19 and the 19-21-23 with the 21-24-27.

This cassette is very low mileage, so, adding the new cogs to the
slightly used 12, 13, 14, 15 should not be an issue. But, I cannot
find these for sale anywhere. I'm thinking it may be best to buy a
new Ultegra 12-27. :-(

Does anybody know where a guy can purchase individual cogs for Shimano
cassettes?

Thanks.
--
Marty
Old October 21st 08, 06:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:25:09 -0700 (PDT), Marty
wrote:

I have looked everywhere and cannot find anyplace that sells
individual cogs. That is, I'd like to keep the 12, 13, 14, 15 and
replace the 16-17 with a 17-19 and the 19-21-23 with the 21-24-27.

This cassette is very low mileage, so, adding the new cogs to the
slightly used 12, 13, 14, 15 should not be an issue. But, I cannot
find these for sale anywhere. I'm thinking it may be best to buy a
new Ultegra 12-27. :-(

Does anybody know where a guy can purchase individual cogs for Shimano
cassettes?

Thanks.

Dear Marty,

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#sprockets

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 21st 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 20, 10:25*pm, Marty wrote:
I have looked everywhere and cannot find anyplace that sells
individual cogs. *That is, I'd like to keep the 12, 13, 14, 15 and
replace the 16-17 with a 17-19 and the 19-21-23 with the 21-24-27.

This cassette is very low mileage, so, adding the new cogs to the
slightly used 12, 13, 14, 15 should not be an issue. *But, I cannot
find these for sale anywhere. *I'm thinking it may be best to buy a
new Ultegra 12-27. *:-(

Does anybody know where a guy can purchase individual cogs for Shimano
cassettes?

Thanks.
--
Marty

As Carl has pointed out, Sheldonbrown sells these cogs but for about
$50, you can get a new 12-27 shimano 9s cogset as compared to about
$40 for the 2 sections you need.
Old October 22nd 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

On Oct 21, 11:32*am, RS wrote:
In article a6c7ee87-9e6d-4a31-9ec0-
,
says...

I have looked everywhere and cannot find anyplace that sells
individual cogs. *That is, I'd like to keep the 12, 13, 14, 15 and
replace the 16-17 with a 17-19 and the 19-21-23 with the 21-24-27.

This cassette is very low mileage, so, adding the new cogs to the
slightly used 12, 13, 14, 15 should not be an issue. *But, I cannot
find these for sale anywhere. *I'm thinking it may be best to buy a
new Ultegra 12-27. *:-(

Does anybody know where a guy can purchase individual cogs for Shimano
cassettes?

Thanks.
--
Marty

Another option is a SRAM PG950 11-28. *Will weigh about 20 grams more
but cost less than $30 shipped from online sellers. *If using a compact crank
the 11 is especially usefull and IMHO necesary. *- Hide quoted text -

Thanks all. Great feedback and now I have yet another great option to
weigh - the SRAM. I see that they have a 11-26 - THAT just might be
perfect as this will be paired with a compact (50/34) crank. I like
the idea of having the 11 with the 50. Will have to use the gear inch
calculator from Sheldon to compare the options.

Thanks again.
--
Marty
Old October 25th 08, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

Another option is a SRAM PG950 11-28. Will weigh about 20 grams more
but cost less than $30 shipped from online sellers. If using a
compact crank
the 11 is especially usefull and IMHO necesary.

I've got a compact (50/34) with a 12-27 (110 gear inches) and no
temptation whatsoever to go for an 11. Heck, I managed to race just fine
for a number of years with no gear higher than a 13/52 (105 gear
inches).

90 rpm with a 50/12 gets you 29.3 mph, and 110rpm gets you to 36mph.
Certainly fast enough for anything on the flats, short of a tail wind in
excess of maybe 25mph. For descending, I find it faster to tuck in than
pedal when the grade is steep enough to be exceeding 35mph. And, for
what it's worth, if I have a "specialty" on my bike, it's sprinting.
When I lose a sprint, it's not because I don't have a tall enough gear.

If you're motorpacing, or drafting behind cars or trucks on a descent
that allows for very high speeds, a higher gear makes a lot of sense.
But as a general rule, a 50/12 is plenty high enough for general purpose
use. And yes, I've perhaps become jaded from hearing so many of my
customers say the only thing that keeps them from going faster (on a
flat road) is having a higher gear.

As for SRAM cassettes in general, they now shift pretty well, but they
remain quite a bit noisier than their Shimano cousins. That's an issue
for some of our customers, and not for others.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

. ..

Old October 26th 08, 12:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 25, 12:00*am, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
[...]

"RS" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

Agree 110% Mike. 50/11 is a gigantic gear and really nobody around
here can push that on the flats. If they can, GO TO EUROPE, FIND A
TEAM!

Sram cogsets are disappointments, their low price being their only
strong point and they ARE noisy. A Compact, perhaps with a 36 small
ring and a 12-27(shimano) works well. Samo for the Chorus 11s we have
sold..great range and a 16t to boot.
Old October 28th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

"RS" wrote in message

[...]

sold..great range and a *16t to boot.- Hide quoted text -

Yea, I also agree. After the 11/28 recommendation, I went out and
looked at the gear inch number for 50/11 which is larger than my
current 53/12. 50/12 would be fine for me. May actually use the 12
more with a 50. :-)

Also, thanks for the extra data point regarding SRAM cassettes and
noise. I hate noise!

Speaking of noise, anybody want to buy set of lightly used Mavic Open
Pros with Dura Ace 7700 hubs? Freakin' noisy-ass eyelets (ping, ping,
ting, ping, ting, ping, %&*$!).
--
Marty
Old October 28th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marty

[...]

How do I convert my bike Paul Borg[_2_] Techniques 12 October 10th 07 08:43 PM
Potential convert? Bypass UK 15 April 18th 07 01:22 PM
Dura-Ace 10v wheels: convert to 8/9/10 with freehub transplant? Ryan Cousineau Techniques 14 March 15th 07 12:30 PM
Another journo convert. Simon Mason UK 1 September 12th 06 01:27 PM
A Double Convert [Not Responding] UK 5 December 16th 04 11:31 PM