Got wood? And yes, it is ON topic...

Old October 24th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

Default Got wood? And yes, it is ON topic...

Check out these gorgeous wood monococque bicycle frames. Oh yeah,
frames are 3.5 to 4.5 lbs!

http://www.renovobikes.com

I want one!

D'ohBoy
Old October 24th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

D'ohBoy wrote:
Check out these gorgeous wood monococque bicycle frames. Oh yeah,
frames are 3.5 to 4.5 lbs!

http://www.renovobikes.com

The curly maple is beautiful, but I could never bring myself to ride it,
it would have to be hung on the wall.

And anyway, I have 5 bikes now and its getting diffilcult to justify more...
Old October 24th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Tosspot:
And anyway, I have 5 bikes now and its getting diffilcult to justify more...

My experience with windsurfing equipment has been that once the
pile gets big enough that nobody else in the house notices
additions, you're home free.
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 25th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Per Tosspot:
And anyway, I have 5 bikes now and its getting diffilcult to justify more...

My experience with windsurfing equipment has been that once the
pile gets big enough that nobody else in the house notices
additions, you're home free.

That's totally true. Even I've lost track of my bikes at this point; my
lovely and patient wife has no chance at all.

When people ask me how many bikes I have, I can no longer compose a
reasonable answer,

Old October 25th 08, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:02:05 -0700, D'ohBoy wrote:

Check out these gorgeous wood monococque bicycle frames. Oh yeah,
frames are 3.5 to 4.5 lbs!

http://www.renovobikes.com

I want one!

D'ohBoy

wood frame but carbon stays??? pointless. and the frame could be
lighter with laminates since they offer better strength-to-weight ratio.
Old October 25th 08, 12:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kinky Cowboy

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 22:33:55 +0200, Tosspot
wrote:

And anyway, I have 5 bikes now and its getting diffilcult to justify more...

How can anybody manage with just 5 bikes?
Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary
Old October 25th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

On 10/24/2008 1:02 PM D'ohBoy wrote:

Check out these gorgeous wood monococque bicycle frames. Oh yeah,
frames are 3.5 to 4.5 lbs!

http://www.renovobikes.com

Purty.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old October 25th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

wrote:

And anyway, I have 5 bikes now and its getting diffilcult to justify more...

How can anybody manage with just 5 bikes?

I make do with only 5, since I also have a tadpole trike.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.
Old October 25th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

D'ohBoy wrote:
Check out these gorgeous wood monococque bicycle frames.

Those look really nice. I toyed with the idea of wood frames about 10
years ago... but only plywood... not hogged out solid wood. I can't
believe that these would hold up at those weights. The fibers of a
tree lie in a line so they are good in bending, but poor in torsion...
and there is a lot of torsion in a bike frame.
Old October 25th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

wrote:

And anyway, I have 5 bikes now and its getting diffilcult to justify
more...

How can anybody manage with just 5 bikes?

I make do with only 5, since I also have a tadpole trike.

Ah! See, you got the same problem as me, which is an odd number of
wheels, now that really grates.