Are Shimano 11-34 7-speed freewheels gone for good?

Old October 25th 08, 07:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Default Are Shimano 11-34 7-speed freewheels gone for good?

I recently undertook a search for a new freewheel for a cargo bike I'm
setting up, and much to my dismay it seems that Shimano's 11-34 and
11-28 7-speed freewheels have vanished from the scene. Other sizes
were looking much scarcer than usual, too.

Does anybody know whether these freewheels or some reasonable
substitutes are going to return to market anytime soon? I have a lot
of 7-speed freewheel equipped bikes whose wheels are just fine the way
they are, and freehub bodies have a poor life expectancy in my
custody. I'd rather not revert from 11-34 to 14-28 gearing just to
keep my bikes operational.

Chalo

Old October 25th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zog The Undeniable

Chalo wrote:
I recently undertook a search for a new freewheel for a cargo bike I'm
setting up, and much to my dismay it seems that Shimano's 11-34 and
11-28 7-speed freewheels have vanished from the scene. Other sizes
were looking much scarcer than usual, too.

Does anybody know whether these freewheels or some reasonable
substitutes are going to return to market anytime soon? I have a lot
of 7-speed freewheel equipped bikes whose wheels are just fine the way
they are, and freehub bodies have a poor life expectancy in my
custody. I'd rather not revert from 11-34 to 14-28 gearing just to
keep my bikes operational.

I'd also be interested - a group of us are building up a bike from
donated parts and (as all we have is an MTB chainset with a 42T big
ring) a top gear of 78" is a bit limiting for the descents.
Old October 25th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
It's Chris

What kind of freehub are you using, Chalo? you might try ThirdHand to
see if they have replacement cogs and or bodies that you can piece
together.
Its a "MacGyver or die" world for any cyclist these days who is not a
latest-techno-racer-wanna-be.

In the future, when you find a product that suits your need, keep a
weather eye on the market, and stock up at the first sign of trouble for
what you like.

I have years worth of spare BioPace chainrings, UniGlide cogs, tires and
other "Designed for my needs" items that were once available.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Old October 25th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
It's Chris

Or try Harris Cyclery

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/index.html

- -

Old October 25th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zog The Undeniable

Chalo wrote:
I recently undertook a search for a new freewheel for a cargo bike I'm
setting up, and much to my dismay it seems that Shimano's 11-34 and
11-28 7-speed freewheels have vanished from the scene. Other sizes
were looking much scarcer than usual, too.

Does anybody know whether these freewheels or some reasonable
substitutes are going to return to market anytime soon? I have a lot
of 7-speed freewheel equipped bikes whose wheels are just fine the way
they are, and freehub bodies have a poor life expectancy in my
custody. I'd rather not revert from 11-34 to 14-28 gearing just to
keep my bikes operational.

Anyway, answering the original question, they seem to be available in
the UK, and with the value of sterling plummeting against the dollar,
it's probably worth having a couple shipped:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productD...productID=4422

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/p_details.aspx?id=2520

Old October 25th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_2_]

It's Chris wrote:
What kind of freehub are you using, Chalo? you might try ThirdHand to
see if they have replacement cogs and or bodies that you can piece
together.
Its a "MacGyver or die" world for any cyclist these days who is not a
latest-techno-racer-wanna-be.

Between 'freehub' and 'latest-techno-racer-wanna-be' lies a whole galaxy.

Lou
Old October 26th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 25, 1:41*am, Chalo wrote:
I recently undertook a search for a new freewheel for a cargo bike I'm
setting up, and much to my dismay it seems that Shimano's 11-34 and
11-28 7-speed freewheels have vanished from the scene. *Other sizes
were looking much scarcer than usual, too.

Doesn't Harris still stock 11-28?
Old October 26th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 25, 1:41*am, Chalo wrote:
I recently undertook a search for a new freewheel for a cargo bike I'm
setting up, and much to my dismay it seems that Shimano's 11-34 and
11-28 7-speed freewheels have vanished from the scene. *Other sizes
were looking much scarcer than usual, too.

14-34 7spd Megarange Shimano HG-40 freewheels seem to be readily
available.

Old October 26th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
cmcanulty

Here is one, I have dealt with them and they are great, this is a
sunrace though

Old October 27th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 25, 1:41*am, Chalo wrote:
I recently undertook a search for a new freewheel for a cargo bike I'm
setting up, and much to my dismay it seems that Shimano's 11-34 and
11-28 7-speed freewheels have vanished from the scene. *Other sizes
were looking much scarcer than usual, too.

Does anybody know whether these freewheels or some reasonable
substitutes are going to return to market anytime soon? *I have a lot
of 7-speed freewheel equipped bikes whose wheels are just fine the way
they are, and freehub bodies have a poor life expectancy in my
custody. *I'd rather not revert from 11-34 to 14-28 gearing just to
keep my bikes operational.

Chalo

Nashbar lists its house brand 7 speed freewheel with 13-32. Not
11-34, but pretty close on the low end and the high end doesn't matter
anyway. Unless you're sprinting downhill with a tailwind. IRD also
makes a 13-32 7 speed freewheel.