London Taxi Attempted Assault

Old July 9th 04, 02:51 PM
Jon Senior

Default London Taxi Attempted Assault

Sorry to hear about this. If you fail with your attempts to get a
response and get nowhere with other groups such as the CTC I would
suggest "releasing" the numberplate so that other cyclists can "stay
away"... if you catch my drift!

Actually, it might be worth contacting the council since I believe they
should be able to revoke his taxi status.

Jon
Old July 9th 04, 02:54 PM
Matt G

Any advice anyone can give me on how to pursue a rather nasty incident
that happened to me last night? The police say that since the
witnesses' names and addresses were not collected there is nothing
they can do. The Public Carriage Office - well, the response I got
from them on the phone reminded me that they're really just a
professional association looking to protect the interests of their
white, male, members, and therefore wholly uninterested in dealing
with complaints using a proper, formal process. If anyone's had any
success through any channels in having this sort of thing addressed
properly, advice much appreciated.

I was cycling along a quiet road in central London and noticed that a
black cab travelling in front of me and in the same direction had
pulled over to the side of the road. I don't remember whether the
vehicle indicated or not. As I started to pull around the vehicle the
drivers side door opened and the driver stepped out. I had to swerve
to avoid him, and the door. This is such a common incident in London
– drivers not checking the road to ensure that it is traffic-free
before opening doors onto the road – that I didn't stop to complain.
About 20 seconds later, I realised that a vehicle had pulled up
alongside me and was trying to force me off the road. I had to swerve
onto the pavement. It's a high kerb there so to mount the kerb in
such a hurry made me almost fall off my bike. I have no doubt that he
was trying to hit me. The vehicle then drove off in the same
direction, turning right at the next T junction. I shouted at him,
noted his license plate number, and then turned left at the
T-junction.

A further 20 seconds later, I realised that the same vehicle was
pulling up behind me and that the driver was hurling abuse at me
through the open window. Terrified, I pulled my bicycle onto the kerb
again, in fear that he would attempt to run me down, and called 999 on
my mobile as quickly as possible. He then did a U turn and headed
south along the Outer Circle. All I can remember about what he
shouted was one line: "You don't like it much when someone tries it on
you, do you, you ****?" He also spat at me through the open window.

Matt
Old July 9th 04, 03:08 PM
PK

Jon Senior wrote:
Actually, it might be worth contacting the council since I believe

they should be able to revoke his taxi status.

Not without witnesses.

pk

Old July 9th 04, 03:24 PM
Steve Peake

On 9 Jul 2004 06:54:11 -0700, Matt G wrote:

A further 20 seconds later, I realised that the same vehicle was
pulling up behind me and that the driver was hurling abuse at me
through the open window. Terrified, I pulled my bicycle onto the kerb
again, in fear that he would attempt to run me down, and called 999 on
my mobile as quickly as possible. He then did a U turn and headed
south along the Outer Circle. All I can remember about what he
shouted was one line: "You don't like it much when someone tries it on
you, do you, you ****?" He also spat at me through the open window.

Did you get the plate?

Without it theres little that can be done.

With it, you should make sure its reported to the police, and insist on a
crime number, with a few follow up phone calls to chase them for a
response. Also report it and ask for a written responce from the PCO.

Steve
Old July 9th 04, 04:05 PM
Nick Drew

"PK" wrote in message
Jon Senior wrote:
Actually, it might be worth contacting the council since I believe

they should be able to revoke his taxi status.

Not without witnesses.

pk

But with a crime report number from the police, surely even raising the
issue with the council would start a brief enquiry? They can't just ignore
it out of hand, can they?

Nick

Old July 9th 04, 05:07 PM
J. Chisholm

PK wrote:

Jon Senior wrote:
Actually, it might be worth contacting the council since I believe

they should be able to revoke his taxi status.

Not without witnesses.

BUT it IS worth reporting to to council as they may put a mark on his
record and if another incident is reported then action is more likely to
be taken.

Jim Chisholm
Old July 9th 04, 05:19 PM
anonymous coward

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:51:56 +0100, Jon Senior wrote:

Sorry to hear about this. If you fail with your attempts to get a
response and get nowhere with other groups such as the CTC I would
suggest "releasing" the numberplate so that other cyclists can "stay
away"... if you catch my drift!

Maybe the driver sold the car, or shares it with another driver (days /
nights - I don't know if this is possible). It doesn't sound a good idea
to me.

Actually, it might be worth contacting the council since I believe they
should be able to revoke his taxi status.

How are taxis regulated? A particular company often beeps their horn
outside my window as late as 3.00 AM, so I have an interest. I've got as
far as the yellow pages, but didn't find anything that looked like a
regulatory agency.

AC
Old July 9th 04, 05:38 PM
tony R

"anonymous coward" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:51:56 +0100, Jon Senior wrote:

Sorry to hear about this. If you fail with your attempts to get a
response and get nowhere with other groups such as the CTC I would
suggest "releasing" the numberplate so that other cyclists can "stay
away"... if you catch my drift!

Maybe the driver sold the car, or shares it with another driver (days /
nights - I don't know if this is possible). It doesn't sound a good idea
to me.

Actually, it might be worth contacting the council since I believe they
should be able to revoke his taxi status.

How are taxis regulated? A particular company often beeps their horn
outside my window as late as 3.00 AM, so I have an interest. I've got as
far as the yellow pages, but didn't find anything that looked like a
regulatory agency.

I think this case involved a black cab rather than a mini cab.

tony R.

Old July 9th 04, 06:47 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Matt G wrote:

A further 20 seconds later, I realised that the same vehicle was
pulling up behind me and that the driver was hurling abuse at me
through the open window. Terrified, I pulled my bicycle onto the kerb
again, in fear that he would attempt to run me down, and called 999 on
my mobile as quickly as possible. He then did a U turn and headed
south along the Outer Circle. All I can remember about what he
shouted was one line: "You don't like it much when someone tries it on
you, do you, you ****?" He also spat at me through the open window.

Given the state of physical fitness of the average London cabby, I think
I'd have gone somewhere he couldn't follow in the cab, then hoped he'd
get out for a fight.

RR: Tri-Geek Supreme (attempted assault on the track) Carla A-G Mountain Biking 19 June 25th 04 03:49 PM
Today I are been mostly in London Just zis Guy, you know? UK 21 June 14th 04 03:59 PM
Putting cyclists at risk Wallace Shackleton UK 25 March 19th 04 11:51 AM
London Calling Derek White UK 16 March 17th 04 02:40 PM
London design Standards for Cycling Jeremy Parker UK 3 February 3rd 04 06:19 PM