"Whites Only"?

Old March 13th 05, 12:25 PM
RonSonic

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:47:42 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:

RonSonic wrote:

Ya know it doesn't have the aerobic element of cycling, but in every other way
is an excellent sport for any man or woman to take up, recommended over stick
and ball games by no less than Thomas Jefferson, I speak of the shooting sports.
Moderate physical exercise combined with unparalleled exercise of the mind and
body control....

Can I bring this to the local shooting range
http://members.cox.net/johnahamill/armorrail.jpg?

Ah, I see you do bench rest shooting.

Ron

Old March 13th 05, 06:40 PM
Neil Cherry

On 13 Mar 2005 08:12:50 -0800, wrote:

Neil Cherry wrote:
On 12 Mar 2005 11:20:35 -0800,
wrote:

I'm riding 27" x 1 1/8" tires on Weinmann A-129 rims, ordinary

Shimano
hubs and butted DT spokes. These things date from the late 1970s!

OK, now here's the weird thing, I took one of my shot rims and put a
Weinmann rim on it (so I built it on reused parts) and that one is in
good condition. One of these days I'm going to take it off the 32
hole, 7 speed an move it up to one of my 32 hole 9 speed wrecks. That
rim is great!

Hmm. It occurs to me, I'm running 36 spokes. I wonder how much
difference that makes?

I throw 36 spoke wheels out of true as fast I as throw 32 spoke wheels
out of true. The 36 spoke wheel generally have a heavier/boxier rim
which holds up better (except for that one bunny hops, grrr ;-). The
Weinman I have is a weird looking rim. It's shinny! Even it's brake
surfaces but I have no problems with stopping. One of the problems I
may have with wheels is that I'm abusive to them. I throw on a back
pack with an extra 30 - 40lbs and ride to work. Or I'll throw on the
trailer and throw everything in there. I had 5 laptops (needed to load
new OS's for lab use) plus everything else (hey I have to eat too
;-). BTW, I weigh in at 190 lb in the early season.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry

http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
http://hcs.sourceforge.net/ (HCS II)
http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
Old March 13th 05, 06:47 PM
Tom Sherman

Neil Cherry wrote:

I throw 36 spoke wheels out of true as fast I as throw 32 spoke wheels
out of true. The 36 spoke wheel generally have a heavier/boxier rim
which holds up better (except for that one bunny hops, grrr ;-). The
Weinman I have is a weird looking rim. It's shinny! Even it's brake
surfaces but I have no problems with stopping. One of the problems I
may have with wheels is that I'm abusive to them. I throw on a back
pack with an extra 30 - 40lbs and ride to work. Or I'll throw on the
trailer and throw everything in there. I had 5 laptops (needed to load
new OS's for lab use) plus everything else (hey I have to eat too
;-). BTW, I weigh in at 190 lb in the early season.

Get a bicycle that uses ISO 559-mm wheels (26" MTB). Have a competent
wheel builder make up a set of 36-spoke wheels with Sun Mammoth (or
equivalent free ride/downhill) rims and high spoke tension. Use 60-559
Schwalbe Big Apple street tires.

If that does not work, consider having a machinist carve you a set of
disc wheels from an aluminium alloy billet.

--
Tom Sherman – Earth (Illinois)

Old March 13th 05, 11:33 PM
Neil Cherry

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:47:50 -0600, Tom Sherman wrote:
Neil Cherry wrote:

[...]

I am considering having a local wheel builder build me a good commuter
wheel. It'll cost me twice as much but if it lasts longer then it will
be worth it. I'd really like to build a good touring bike for my
commutes. One thing at a time.