Upgrade from SPD to ?

Old September 4th 03, 02:30 AM
Mark Heiple

Default Upgrade from SPD to ?

I currently have SPD pedals and double sided mountain bike pedals,
mountain bike shoes (recessed cleat).

I want to upgrade to a real road pedal, probably Look or Time.

My main reason for upgrading is the SPDs are a pain to click into. The
cleat & pedal are so small, I have a hard time getting in. I have to
hunt around until it finally clicks in. I usually have to pull up to
make sure I'm really clicked in. Lately, I've had a few occasions where
they have pulled out, both when climbing a hill and when my pedal stroke
gets sloppy from being tired. On the plus side, I can walk in the shoes
(about the only plus).

So I'm looking for something that I can step into and go easily, or at
least pedal without my foot slipping off (like the SPDs do) if I'm not
fully engaged. The large platform of Look or Time might solve this.

I also need a system where the cleat can be adjusted for turned out
feet. Both of my feet turn out, my right more than my left. My right
cleat is turned to about the limit of its range on my shoe.

I'm looking mostly at Look and Time, and from past posts, these are my
impressions:

Look advantages: lower cost, adjustable cleat, possibly easier
entry/exit than time.

Look disadvantages: replacing those plastic cleats, squeaks, durability?

Time advantages: lower profile (closer to spindle), more float in more
directions, more rugged cleat, my biking buddy likes them.

Time disadvantages: expensive, not many shoe options (Time only?), can't
mount cleat to compensate for turned out feet (but float compensates for
this?). A little harder to walk in than Look.

I think both are weighted to hang in a consistant position, so I
wouldn't have to worry about flipping the pedal over with my toe before
clicking in.

I also looked at speedplay, but it looks like they are much harder walk
in than look or time, since the mechanism is in the cleat instead of
pedal. How do you get out of them with large amount of float they have?

I would get new shoes along with the pedals, so compatibility with an
existing shoe is not an issue. Weight is irrelevant. I'm willing pay
extra for Time if the system is better.

Thanks.
Old September 4th 03, 03:36 AM
Zeen

I would go with the Looks. I tried the SPD's and found it hard to engage
the pedal compared to Look. My feet also turn out and I adjusted the cleats
with no problem. Of course you don't want your ankle bone to hit the crank
so be careful.
I periodically wipe some hand cream on the cleats and I have had no squeaks.
As for durability, I've had cleats last 2 years. I occasionally sand down
the rough edges but no problem at all. Look pedals have come down in weight
too.
I bought mine on EBay. There are some great deals there.

Old September 4th 03, 01:46 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Mark- I currently have SPD pedals and double sided mountain bike pedals,
mountain bike shoes (recessed cleat).

I want to upgrade to a real road pedal, probably Look or Time. BRBR

Look is a good choice, Time, we are three for three with problems of these...

Mark My main reason for upgrading is the SPDs are a pain to click into.
BRBR

Speedplay, specifically the Zero-

Mark I also need a system where the cleat can be adjusted for turned out
feet. Both of my feet turn out, my right more than my left. BRBR

Adjustable in both directions, floatwise-

Mark- Time advantages: lower profile (closer to spindle), more float in more
directions, more rugged cleat, my biking buddy likes them. BRBR

Does he have the Impact? if so, durable cleat isn't one of them.

Mark- I also looked at speedplay, but it looks like they are much harder walk

in than look or time, since the mechanism is in the cleat instead of
pedal. How do you get out of them with large amount of float they have?
BRBR

Not tru, use covers, don't judge a road pedal by walking ease..also Look at
ZERO model.

Mark Weight is irrelevant. I'm willing pay
extra for Time if the system is better. BRBR

Older Time isgone, all are Impact now and not a great pedal, IMO-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 4th 03, 04:13 PM
Jeff Starr

Mark Heiple wrote in message ...
I currently have SPD pedals and double sided mountain bike pedals,
mountain bike shoes (recessed cleat).

I want to upgrade to a real road pedal, probably Look or Time.

Hi, I went from an SPD [Shimano 324] to a road bike pedal and shoes. I
now have the 324s on my old road bike. I never had much problem with
entry, after the first couple hundred miles, but did experience hot
spots. Could be the fault of my shoes. Anyway, after reading a bunch
of reviews on http://www.roadbikereview.com/Homecrx.aspx
I went from my first choice of Look, to the Shimano SPD-SL PD-R600. I
got them at my LBS, but as dookie mentioned, they can be purchased on
Ebay for $87, plus shipping. In the reviews that I read, some people
who had gone from Look to Shimanos, said that the SPD-SL cleats were a
little easier to walk in and no one mentioned squeeking. I have had
some bird noises come from my 324s and it really bothered me. So I
wanted a quiet pedal.
I have had no problems of pulling out when unexpected and I have them
adjusted to the least tension.
As for shoes, I got a good deal on a pair of Pearl Izumi Vortex, which
I like a lot. And with the Shimano or Look, you won't need an adaptor.
I've got 565 miles on the pedals and shoes, with no problems, noise,
etc. So count me as another vote for the Shimano SPD-SL.
Life is Good!
Jeff

Old September 4th 03, 07:24 PM
Sidi

Mark Heiple wrote:
I currently have SPD pedals and double sided mountain bike pedals,
mountain bike shoes (recessed cleat).
Thanks.

Take a good look at any system that willl allow you to move you foot
laterally. SPD's are very rigid and do not allow much movement at all
but are very good for the powerstroke in my case since i pull up as well
as push the pedal down. This motion is possible with other pedals but
Speedplays system has been described as "walking on ice" at times. In my
17 years of cycling i have tried it all from toestraps to Look, Time,
SPD, Speedplay - and it does feel like a slippery piece of soap you are
walking. Don't judge a system by how it will "walk" sine the least
amount of time is spent walking.

Old September 4th 03, 09:39 PM
Matt

I went from spds(sucked) to spd-rs(sucked more) to speed plays(which are
very nice but I started wearing grooves in them) to the "lance" dura ace
pedal. The lance pedal is awesome but if you want speedplays get the zero
model. The zero cleat is different and won't wear grooves in your axle like
my X2 cleat did.

Old September 5th 03, 12:35 AM

Mark Heiple wrote:
: I currently have SPD pedals and double sided mountain bike pedals,
: mountain bike shoes (recessed cleat).

I have 1-sided SPD pedals, few problems. Only on recumbents with
low bottom bracket I get some hot foot syndrome.

Maybe you could try road type SPD pedals. I have also cheap
mountain type SPD pedals, which release incredibly easily. (I use
the sPD cleat that came with my first pedals, not the one that
came with these.)

: I want to upgrade to a real road pedal, probably Look or Time.

Looking forward to riding Look here.

: Look disadvantages: replacing those plastic cleats, squeaks, durability?

A pair of Look cleats can go for $8. For $14 you can get covers
for the cleats, so walking is easier.

Cheapest Look pedals I saw were just $40.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi
Old September 5th 03, 01:07 AM
Mike S.

"Mark Heiple" wrote in message
In article ,
(Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

Look is a good choice, Time, we are three for three with problems of

these...

What problems are you seeing with Time? Durability, or function
(problems clicking in/out, float, etc.?)

Speedplay, specifically the Zero-

I just checked roadbikereview.com, and there were some complaints about
durability of the pedals/cleats (started pulling out), and a smallish
contact area. The "pedaling on ice" part sounded like it might take
some getting used to. Would it contribute to knee or ankle problems by
allowing bad knee/ankle positions?

The benefit of Speedplay (X1-3) is that your feet/knees find their "natural"
position without fighting springs/retention devices. When I was selling
them I used to warn people about the riding on ball bearings feeling. It
takes about 7-10 rides for the feeling to disappear. After the initial
learning curve, they're one of the best pedals for entry/exit. Being
two-sided, all you have to do is find the cleat and step. No flipping, no
squirming. The X series have light spring tension holding you in, so all
you do is turn far enough, and pop! you're out. I was training on the road
and racing these pedals at the track for a while and never had a problem
pulling out. If your pedaling motion is all funky, you may.

I've never tried the Zeros. I changed to SPD-Rs right before they came out.
If I'd known... I really don't care for the SPD-Rs, but I have 3 pair of
them, so am stuck for the time being. The Zeros probably don't have as big
a problem with the pedaling on ball bearings feeling 'cause they don't have
as much float. Again, I haven't ridden this model, so am assuming here.

If you are concerned about "walkability" the Speedplays aren't the best.
They're susceptible to problems if you get dirt in the mechanism. The
answer is either a. don't get off in the dirt, or b. covers.

I'm trying to decide between the Zeros and SPD-SLs for my road/track bikes.
I'm leaning towards the SPD-SLs just because I've got D/A everything else...

Mike

Old September 5th 03, 05:22 AM
Mark Wolfe

Check out bebops. I picked up a set from Hitech bikes and love them.
I have the mounted to Shimano T092 "touring" shoes because I have to walk
about 100 yards during my commute. I really like the setup, the float
takes a bit of getting used to (20 degrees), otherwise I haven't had
problems with them. They're pretty darn light too.

http://www.bebop.com

http://www.hi-techbikes.com/cgi/list.cgi?cat=Components

Mark Heiple wrote:

[...]

Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org
gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71
"The bad reputation UNIX has gotten is totally undeserved, laid on by people
who don't understand, who have not gotten in there and tried anything."
- Jim Joyce, former computer science lecturer at the University of
California

Wanna upgrade my bike ... advice needed. Daniel Crispin General 3 June 29th 04 02:37 PM
buy or upgrade? newbie has q's? Melissa Leyva-Brown General 54 May 27th 04 10:56 PM
Trail-a-bike upgrade Shayne General 11 September 18th 03 02:50 PM
Trek 6700 Upgrade Paulie Walnuts Mountain Biking 1 August 28th 03 10:22 PM