Klein Airheadset

Old September 5th 03, 01:24 AM
Tim McTeague

Default Klein Airheadset

I have a 1999 Klein Mantra Pro and was going to upgrade the Manitou SX fork.
As you may know, the MC3 Airheadset does not use a 1 1/8" fork so
aftermarket forks are non-existent. In addition, Klein no longer make the
adapters that allow the use of standard forks. You now have to go to a
German company that makes replacement bearings that fit 1 /18". These cost
about $80.00, plus $56.00 shipping. And, they don't take credit cards so
the buyer has to transfer bank funds and pick up that expense as well.
After some back and forth Klein are going to see if they can locate some old
adapters but this still requires new bearings. Has anyone made this switch
and had good luck. Overall, I like the bike, after a lot of trial and error
with new bars, seatpost and sag settings. Mantras are pretty dead now so
resale is not good so I may just get some more life from the old SX fork.
However, if the fork dies I am SOL when it comes to buying a replacement.
Ugh, I should have known better.

Tim McTeague

Old September 5th 03, 04:56 PM
Dion Dock

Have you looked through the headset section of a QBP catalog? Maybe you
should visit your local shop. I found a Klein to 1 1/8" reducer:

Problem Solvers
Reduces Klein headtubes to 34mm, fits Klein models with 2" headtube I.D.
(HD9903)
$52.99

-Dion

Old September 6th 03, 12:05 AM
Frank Jaworski

The German product is excellent both in function and quality. I have one on
my Adroit and highly recommend it. Yes it was a pain in the arse to get but
it was worth it! Reset Racing is the company. I think I still have a bag
full of parts (the Klein conversion kit) that I removed from my bike when I
upgraded. Their kit is for use with the stock bearings. There is a big
aluminum sleeve that slides on the fork (where the headset race would be but
it's about 1.5 - 1.75 inches tall..........really a grotesque looking piece
of machinery.

Old September 6th 03, 01:35 AM
Tim McTeague

Thanks, Frank, this is the kind of info I was looking for. Did you install
the Reset parts yourself or is it a dealer job? Did you go from an 80mm to
100mm travel fork and if so how did it affect the handling?

Tim McTeague

Old September 6th 03, 10:18 AM
Frank Jaworski

I installed it myself. Actually I have a 63 mm Sid on mine as it's my race
bike. Handles like a dream. Good luck!

Frank

Old September 6th 03, 07:19 PM
Per Löwdin

You now have to go to a
German company that makes replacement bearings that fit 1 /18". These

cost
about $80.00, plus $56.00 shipping. And, they don't take credit cards

so
the buyer has to transfer bank funds and pick up that expense as well.
After some back and forth Klein are going to see if they can locate some

old
adapters but this still requires new bearings. Has anyone made this

switch
and had good luck.

We tried this summer with my wife´s Adroit but gave up. But winded up buying
a Titus Riddler frame, buying a new fork, headset, stem, saddle post and
front dr.

Per
http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB.html

Old September 6th 03, 08:06 PM
Tim McTeague

Why did you give up? Was the assy too difficult or just that the parts were
unavailable? Maybe I should keep the Manitou SX and forget the upgrade as I
am not ready for a new Mt bike after buying a custom Seven Axiom road frame
last year. I just worry that if my current fork breaks I may not be able to
find any adapters. If I go with the Reset bearings I know I can throw on a
new fork at any time. May help with whatever resale Mantras have these
days.

Tim McTeague

Old September 8th 03, 12:28 PM
Carsten

Tim,

being a Klein freak in Germany i know the Reset stuff pretty well. the
head sets are very well made, no doubt. i bought this set for a Klein
buddy in the US a while ago, he has installed it himself and had no
problems. i will try to hook you up with him if i find his email
address. for more info: http://www.reset-racing.de/reset/reset2.htm
i just see that they accept PayPal now, so no extreme bank fees.
btw, i am NOT related to them!

it should still be possible to get simple head set reducers (aluminum
rings) from Trek that allow you to run 1 1/8 forks. they need to be
loctited into the original bearings, thats all. simple but very
effective! if they are not around anymore it should be easy to let
them reproduce.

as an alternative you may want to get such a Manitou fork:

they will fit into your Mantra Pro and i am sure they are worth the
money.

bottom line, i dont like the Klein airhead set bashing. yes, it is
very special, just as all the Klein bikes, but you get back more than
just trouble if you know how to deal with them.

Cheers, Carsten

btw, check out www.wundel.com

Old September 8th 03, 11:02 PM
Tim McTeague

Carsten,

Thanks. I think I'll pass on the Mars fork on e-bay as I want to enable the
bike to take any fork in the future. Getting that model does not change the
situation in which I currently find myself. My Manitou SX works OK but I
don't know how much longer adapters will be made. What bugs me about the
Reset stuff is the $55.00 shipping charge from Germany to the US. Way too
high if you ask me. I hate to be gouged. All things considered, it appears
as if I will go ahead with the Reset parts. Even if Klein find some old
spacers they say that their use still requires new bearings so the cost is
similar. As a "make up", a Klein rep offered to give me $100 credit in my
local shop to help defray costs of parts and assembly so that seems pretty
fair. Still, they should support this technology for longer than a year or
two.

Tim McTeague

Carsten wrote:
[...]

Please abuse me (I like a klein) Monique Y. Mudama Mountain Biking 72 June 8th 04 05:45 PM
Rear disc brake on 2001 Klein Attitude? Rocketman Mountain Biking 7 January 9th 04 10:18 PM
Rear disc brake on 2001 Klein Attitude? Rocketman Off Road 6 January 9th 04 10:18 PM
Klein vs. Trek Lester Long Racing 22 September 29th 03 06:47 PM
Klein dealers in Colorado MattB Mountain Biking 2 July 1st 03 02:22 PM