Unicycles on the plane (long instructions)

Old January 5th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

Default Unicycles on the plane (long instructions)

I still think that the worst airline for fees, is SAS, Scandinavian
airlines.

When I was flying from Tokyo to Copenhagen, they were the only airline
I have ever had that weighed Carry On!!

I spent all summer flying almost every week, and I was usually right at
the 20 KG limit I would max out my carry on, and they wouldn't weigh it
as long as I didn't have more than the two carry on bag limit (if anyone
argues that you are only allowed 1 bag carry on I have found a
loophole).

They weighed my carry on and then sprung the 30 euro per KG in fees. I
ended up spending about 350 dollars or about 200 and something euros
just in baggage fees!

So at this point most people's horror stories sound affordable and
leniant.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old January 5th 09, 10:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

These weight & size horror stories serve as a good reminder to make sure
you know your airline's rules on luggage *before* you pack. Better yet,
before you buy your tickets because if you're flying with unicycles or
other big/heavy stuff, it can be a deal-breaker. Though fuel prices are
low for the moment, anything can happen to make the airlines paranoid
again, and fee-happy.

So go to your airline's web site and read carefully. Maybe even keep a
copy of this information to show to check-in persons if you don't think
they're going by the rules.

After all this, I still prefer my method of using normal-looking
luggage when possible, and keeping it within the weight limits (also
when possible). Much less hassle that way.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper
Old January 5th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

For bringing a 20 in a carry on luggage bag: Does anyone know the exact
diameter for the rim? My Muni is 21", so I'm guessing 17?

For this and my last two trips to visit my Mom here in Boston, MA, I
put my 24" DX in a wheel box from my LBS. This time United charged $15
for the first bag and a bunch more for the second (I forget how much)
The box was a bit bigger than in the past and ended up at 66 lbs and
they wanted to charge me w/ a $125 over weight fee (now I had my 16"
too). So I spent nearly a hour reorganizing things.

I managed to fit my 16" w/ it's tire removed, both frames, posts,
seats, pedals, and tools in my 2000cc backpack. Then I put back in
clothes into the box and got it down to 58 lbs (the max per bag is 60).

Carrying the box has always been hard but now it's impossible for me to
go more than a few feet. I had to resort to sliding it on the ground.

I'm going to try to get a large luggage case w/ wheels for the trip
back.

Tak;1164741 wrote:
Probably we would have considered carrying on if we'd known that they
weren't making any attempt to enforce their posted 9"x14"x22" maximum
carryon size.

+1
I saw quite a few people w/ carry-ons bigger than that, I'm guessing
the largest was ~ 11X17X24".

Tak;1164741 wrote:
For us, the issue wasn't weight, it was size - the maximum size item one
can check domestically without being hit with a $175-each-way fee is 62
linear inches, which -might- just barely fit a 29" wheelset with no
additional hardware.

I read about a guy who made himself a box out of plywood for his 29er
mtb. He put both wheels w/ tires removed and cloths for padding and got
just under the 62" total (I think it was 61"). He had another box for
his frame w/ bars, fork, and pedals removed (I don't remember if he made
that one too), w/ cloths for padding again. On both it was challenging
for him to stay under the weight max. I think he also told them they
were just sports equipment.
I think I remember how he made it if you want to know.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old January 5th 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jeremy R

i packed my trials in right with my clothes.

--
Jeremy R

'661' (http://www.sixsixone.com/)
'MountainUni' (http://www.mountainuni.com/splash.asp)