Carbon fiber seatpost, aluminum frame and a workstand...

Old July 7th 03, 08:07 PM
David L

Default Carbon fiber seatpost, aluminum frame and a workstand...

"Chris Hughes" wrote in message
Simple solution get a quick release for you seat post clamp and a cheap
takeoff seatpost, many bike shops have a box full of these. Use the cheap
seatpost when you clamp into the stand.

Second-ed, this is the only way to go without damaging your stuff.

Dave

Chris
"Spider" wrote in message
om...
OK, I know I'm not supposed to clamp the aluminum frame into the
workstand (due to the possibility of crushing damage, I imagine.)

I'm supposed to clamp onto the seatpost. Great! Problem solved (or
avoided, at least.) But wait - I have a carbon fiber seat post. Is
it OK to clamp onto that? What are the dangers to me, my bike and/or
my seatpost?

TIA,

Spider

Old July 7th 03, 09:21 PM
Bob M

On 7 Jul 2003 13:16:04 -0700, Spider wrote:

OK, I know I'm not supposed to clamp the aluminum frame into the
workstand (due to the possibility of crushing damage, I imagine.)

I'm supposed to clamp onto the seatpost. Great! Problem solved (or
avoided, at least.) But wait - I have a carbon fiber seat post. Is
it OK to clamp onto that? What are the dangers to me, my bike and/or
my seatpost?

TIA,

Spider

I don't know -- I own two aluminum bikes (one racing, one mountain) and
I've always clamped them in the workstand. I'd rather clamp an aluminum
tube than a carbon fiber seatpost.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply

Old July 8th 03, 02:03 AM
Sorni

Spider" wrote in message
om...
OK, I know I'm not supposed to clamp the aluminum frame into the
workstand (due to the possibility of crushing damage, I imagine.)

I'm supposed to clamp onto the seatpost. Great! Problem solved (or
avoided, at least.) But wait - I have a carbon fiber seat post. Is
it OK to clamp onto that? What are the dangers to me, my bike and/or
my seatpost?

I wrap a shop rag around my seatposts (regardless of type) before clamping
in stand. I also let the saddle and front wheel take most of the bike's
weight, as usually I only need the rear wheel/drivetrain elevated to work on
stuff.

Bill "still, if the post ain't strong enough for a workstand, DON'T RIDE IT"
S.

Old July 8th 03, 12:34 PM
Shaun Rimmer

Spider wrote in message
om...
OK, I know I'm not supposed to clamp the aluminum frame into the
workstand (due to the possibility of crushing damage, I imagine.)

I'm supposed to clamp onto the seatpost. Great! Problem solved (or
avoided, at least.) But wait - I have a carbon fiber seat post. Is
it OK to clamp onto that? What are the dangers to me, my bike and/or
my seatpost?

TIA,

Spider

What's wrong with clamping around the top of the _seat tube_ with post fully
inserted? That should be plenty tough enough, surely?

Shaun aRe

Old July 8th 03, 03:51 PM
Bruce

"Spider" wrote in message
om...
OK, I know I'm not supposed to clamp the aluminum frame into the
workstand (due to the possibility of crushing damage, I imagine.)

I'm supposed to clamp onto the seatpost. Great! Problem solved (or
avoided, at least.) But wait - I have a carbon fiber seat post. Is
it OK to clamp onto that? What are the dangers to me, my bike and/or
my seatpost?

TIA,

Spider

You should have no problem clamping the carbon seatpost in your stand. Just
make sure that the jaws of the clamp don't have any pieces of dirt, metal,
etc. stuck in them.

The relatively soft jaws and large clamping area don't pose a problem for a
carbon seatpost. The force applied to the post by the seat tube clamp on
your bike is far greater than a workstand bike clamp. I used to clamp my
carbon post all the time.

Having said all of that.....I don't like carbon posts. I've never seen one
break, but I also never want to see that.

Old July 9th 03, 09:49 AM
Shaun Rimmer

Mark Hickey wrote in message
"Shaun Rimmer" wrote:

What's wrong with clamping around the top of the _seat tube_ with post

fully
inserted? That should be plenty tough enough, surely?

Some frames (like mine for example) have inserts in the top of the
seat tube. The seat post will only make contact with the frame for
the length of these inserts - and they're not all that long (don't
have to be).

Heh - that's why I specifically enquired: 'What's wrong with clamping
around the top of....' ',;~}~

Habaneros have 7cm inserts - long enough to beef up the
top tube/seat tube/seat stay junction, and more than long enough to
handle the seat post.

Of course, I also don't worry about clamping my frames in ANY
workstand. As BTO woulda said (about a million years ago), they're
"not fragile".

Spammer! ',;~P~

I wouldn't be the slightest bit concerned about clamping my (alu) frame by
any part of it either - it's certainly tough.

Shaun aRe

Steel Frame vs Aluminum Frame w/ Carbon seat stays and carbon fork ydm9 General 6 April 12th 04 09:42 PM
Aluminum bike w/ Carbon seat stays and fork SUGGESTIONS ydm9 General 10 April 6th 04 05:26 PM
carbon fiber W.S. O'Neal Off Road 3 September 15th 03 11:35 PM
Carbon fiber seatpost, aluminum frame and a workstand... David L Mountain Biking 14 July 10th 03 12:29 PM