Cyclefest

Old August 9th 04, 08:16 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default Cyclefest

A typical British Summer event: most days it hardly rained at all :-)

We drove up on Thursday, managing to be right in the thick of the
"occasional showers" (i.e. torrential downpours with ankle-deep
standing water) almost all the way, but luckily it was not raining or
windy as we pitched, greatly assisted by the light from the adjacent
floodlit football pitch.

Friday was about getting bitten by insects on a canal-side ride to
Hest Bank, with lunch at a top cafe on the seafront behind the signal
box. From there we went to Morecambe, rode along the seafront past
the Grand Hotel which is an absolute wreck, barely recognisable from
the pictures of the earlier Cyclefest based there. Friday evening was
about getting into Lancaster, finding Milletts and buying some Deet...

On Saturday we went on a "social ride" (should we perhaps organise a
URC antisocial ride? "What you riding one of them for? I had one of
them, it was crap."). It was a bit shambolic at times, due in no
small part to idiots like me running off the front following someone I
thought was the leader, We rescued a waif along the way, her bike was
in need of a bit of emergency fettling. Michael took turns riding her
bike and letting her ride the middle seat of the triplet.

We missed entry for the hillclimbing contest (which was just as well
as I'd have been wiped out, having ridden for a mile with the drag
brake on by accident), but the boys cheered enthusiastically as a
succession of mad people thrashed up a short but steep hill. There
was then a barbecue and conspicuous consumption of Beer. Tony Raven
appeared and then vanished before pints could be exchanged (family
obligations, y'know), but Carol was there with Rob (waves: Hello
Carol).

On Sunday we rode to Morecabe, had tea on the pier with Wobbly John
url:http://2x4.xntrick.co.uk/ and his trick bikes there as well. I
rode the wobblebike, which was a challenge. We then rode to Salt Ayre
for racing. Once again we were too late to enter the race I should
have been in, although we did manage to arrive before the end so I
could see Carol's much discussed racing technique (Carol, I might be
wrong but I think you're not supposed to wave back to the cheering
crowd except on the victory lap), so I foolishly entered the next
race. Mr Burrows advised me that racing is "horrible." Only when we
lined up at the start did I realise that I was the only one riding my
commuting bike - everybody else had at least a tailbox! And most of
them were, as far as I could see, not fitted with racks, dynamos or
lights...

At least I gave Mike Burrows the satisfaction of lapping someone and
telling me as he passed: "see? I told you it was horrible!" My lap
times were averaging about 2:20, I think; I found out that the Stinger
will corner much harder than I have been trusting it to, which was
good.

After that were the fun races. Michael rode the children's race and
won, we (Michael, Peter and I on the triplet) entered the tandem race
and were narrowly beaten by a back-to-back recumbent ridden by two
adults, and in the all-comers race we also gave a good account of
ourselves. A splendid time was had by all. Then came cream teas,
clowning from Bo the Clown, who some of you might know from York
Rally, who later did an absolutely superb talk about his act, starting
in his secret identity of actor Derek Carpenter and making up on
stage, which as far as I know he hasn't done before. It was as much
stand-up comedy as clowning, really, and very funnny indeed.

Today we drove back also in torrential rain almost all the way,
stopping at Warwick and not visiting the castle because even an hour
and a half before closing time they wanted to charge us FORTY QUID for
entry. So we went and had a nice Italian supper instead.

And now we're back, with one wet tent to dry out somehow, several wet
bikes dryign out in the bike shed, and two very tired boys.

No Cyclefest next year, so see you at Cycle Feast in Northumbria.

And next year we'll try to remember the cameras.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old August 9th 04, 09:52 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 20:50:32 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Watkin"
wrote in message
:

Tell me about Cycle Feast in Northumbria please

No details yet other than that it was being touted as an alternative
to Cyclefest, whose organisers are taking a sabbatical after ten
years.

Old August 10th 04, 12:00 AM
redshift

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 20:16:58 +0100, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

A typical British Summer event: most days it hardly rained at all :-)

Well, I had a jolly good time, with riding, and cream teas and everyfing.
Oh, and pictures too. Some of them are even in focus!

Then I came home in the rain, which cooled my sunburn, so I didn't mind
too much.

http://www.redshift.uklinux.net/
Windcheetah No.176
Linux Counter No. 275325
*Remove Spamcatcher and x for email reply

Old August 10th 04, 09:05 AM
Tony Raven

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Tony Raven
appeared and then vanished before pints could be exchanged (family
obligations, y'know)

Sorry 'bout that - family obligations y'know dictated I attempt
carbonising some chicken over some smouldering charcoal to feed the
starving offspring. Had planned to return for the folding ride but
thought "too hot" but went off-roading in the Lakes on Sunday instead
finishing just before the weather broke.

Things of interest - saw my first Go-bike in the flesh. Often commented
on as a larger wheeled Brompton, it looked more like a Birdy on
steroids. A rather bulky inelegant machine. Mike Burrows recumbent
with offset rear wheel and steerable front hub - yep, the axle stayed
fixed and the hub turned to steer. Steve Parry explaining his lastest B
mods and his own bike design to Mike Burrows.....

Oh and seeing Guy and family with his interestingly coloured luxury
motorised bike transporter. Good job I'm red/green colour blind is all
I can say ;-)

Pity its the last Cyclefest

Tony
Old August 10th 04, 12:19 PM
Rebecca Taylor

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
Tell me about Cycle Feast in Northumbria please

No details yet other than that it was being touted as an alternative
to Cyclefest, whose organisers are taking a sabbatical after ten
years.

As someone whose first Cyclefest appears to have been her last, I'll
keep an eye on the Northumbria proposal. If I can find it in me, I
might even try riding there. I enjoyed this year's event a lot, met
many interesting people, and the final CF race at the track was fun -
though if my overtaking technique looked questionable, it was because
I'd never actually raced before.

I suppose this marks the end of URC lurker status for me too. Guy,
somewhere within my rolls of film are probably two or three pics of
you racing at Salt Ayre. If any of them turned out half-decent I'll
let you know.

Becky
--
Windcheetah 202

Old August 10th 04, 01:22 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Rebecca Taylor wrote:

As someone whose first Cyclefest appears to have been her last, I'll
keep an eye on the Northumbria proposal.

waves Hello Becky, I didn't recognise you without your nickname ;-)

I suppose this marks the end of URC lurker status for me too. Guy,
somewhere within my rolls of film are probably two or three pics of
you racing at Salt Ayre. If any of them turned out half-decent I'll
let you know.

Hurrah! Did you join in the all comers race?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
University

Old August 10th 04, 02:10 PM
Arellcat

Just zis Guy wrote
waves Hello Becky, I didn't recognise you without your nickname

;-)

Ah yes, as soon as I posted I realised I hadn't set the e-mail program
to display it.

Hurrah! Did you join in the all comers race?

Yes I did, I started a few rows back, did half a lap of getting the
feel of the track and some speed, and then decided that one couldn't
have a Windcheetah going slowly, so I gave it my best shot. Mine was
the one with a yellowish flag and red reflective chevrons on the back
of the seat, and I think I remember overtaking a red bike that had
three riders!

Becky
--
Windcheetah 202

Old August 10th 04, 04:38 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Arellcat wrote:

Hurrah! Did you join in the all comers race?

Yes I did, I started a few rows back, did half a lap of getting the
feel of the track and some speed, and then decided that one couldn't
have a Windcheetah going slowly, so I gave it my best shot. Mine was
the one with a yellowish flag and red reflective chevrons on the back
of the seat, and I think I remember overtaking a red bike that had
three riders!

When you've seen one speedy you've seen them all. Or at least all the ones
which went zooming past in the last straight ;-)

I was too busy listening to Peter - turns out he was expressing indignation
at having been overtaken by a Brompton. We had our "sub" stokid (excuses,
excuses).

Old August 10th 04, 06:29 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 23:00:54 GMT, redshift
wrote in message
:

Well, I had a jolly good time, with riding, and cream teas and everyfing.
Oh, and pictures too. Some of them are even in focus!

Yes indeedy, the only really rainy days were Thursday as I drove up
and Monday driving back. The tent is wet, though, so we'll have to
work out some way to dry it...