Cyclist, 82, becomes first Briton to pedal one MILLION miles

Old November 9th 19, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Cyclist, 82, becomes first Briton to pedal one MILLION miles

Well done that man!

QUOTE:
An 82-year-old man who has become the first person in the UK to cycle a million miles has declared he has a million miles yet to go before he dies.

Russ Mantle has kept meticulous log books of every ride he has completed in the past 68 years, completing an average of 14,700 miles a year.

The former carpenter and joiner, from Aldershot, Hampshire, completed his millionth mile to the cheers of well-wishers at the Canal Cafe at Mytchett.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...onth-mile.html

Old November 9th 19, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 09/11/2019 18:18, Simon Mason wrote:

Well done that man!

QUOTE:
An 82-year-old man who has become the first person in the UK to cycle a million miles has declared he has a million miles yet to go before he dies.

Russ Mantle has kept meticulous log books of every ride he has completed in the past 68 years, completing an average of 14,700 miles a year.

The former carpenter and joiner, from Aldershot, Hampshire, completed his millionth mile to the cheers of well-wishers at the Canal Cafe at Mytchett.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...onth-mile.html

Unless he manages to drastically increase his annual mileage, fe'll have
to live to an age of at least 150 in order to achieve it, but good luck
to him.

Old November 9th 19, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 09/11/2019 18:35, JNugent wrote:
On 09/11/2019 18:18, Simon Mason wrote:

Well done that man!

QUOTE:
An 82-year-old man who has become the first person in the UK to cycle
a million miles has declared he has a million miles yet to go before
he dies.

Russ Mantle has kept meticulous log books of every ride he has
completed in the past 68 years, completing an average of 14,700 miles
a year.

The former carpenter and joiner, from Aldershot, Hampshire, completed
his millionth mile to the cheers of well-wishers at the Canal Cafe at
Mytchett.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...onth-mile.html

Unless he manages to drastically increase his annual mileage, fe'll have
to live to an age of at least 150 in order to achieve it, but good luck
to him.

He must have had a private income, 14700 a year at 8 mph would take 229
8 hour days per year to complete. or maybe his records are exaggerated.
Old November 9th 19, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 6:18:36 PM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
Well done that man!

QUOTE:
An 82-year-old man who has become the first person in the UK to cycle a million miles has declared he has a million miles yet to go before he dies.

Russ Mantle has kept meticulous log books of every ride he has completed in the past 68 years, completing an average of 14,700 miles a year.

The former carpenter and joiner, from Aldershot, Hampshire, completed his millionth mile to the cheers of well-wishers at the Canal Cafe at Mytchett.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...onth-mile.html

And all Pounder will be interested in is whether or not he shaves his legs.
Old November 10th 19, 01:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 09/11/2019 19:05, MrCheerful wrote:

He must have had a private income, 14700 a year at 8 mph would take 229
8 hour days per year to complete. or maybe his records are exaggerated.

....or he was able to do more than 8mph. It takes a lot of effort to go
that slowly.
Old November 10th 19, 02:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 09/11/2019 18:45, Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, November 9, 2019 at 6:28:33 PM UTC, Bod wrote:
On 09/11/2019 18:18, Simon Mason wrote:
Well done that man!

QUOTE:
An 82-year-old man who has become the first person in the UK to cycle a million miles has declared he has a million miles yet to go before he dies.

Russ Mantle has kept meticulous log books of every ride he has completed in the past 68 years, completing an average of 14,700 miles a year.

The former carpenter and joiner, from Aldershot, Hampshire, completed his millionth mile to the cheers of well-wishers at the Canal Cafe at Mytchett.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...onth-mile.html

Impressive.

--
Bod

QUOTE:

Explaining why he does not wear a helmet, Mr Mantle said he cannot put it in his pocket, and added: 'Even though I have been unconscious for four of my serious accidents, I still won't wear a helmet, I must have a hard head I suppose, I can still remember things clearly, all those accidents haven't affected my memory.

'I always bounce back as if it hadn't happened. The most serious one was probably when I was knocked unconscious for three days in Southampton hospital by a lorry that smashed my arm in two places but I have got full movement.'

Makes one proud to be British :-)

--
Bod
Old November 10th 19, 02:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 10/11/2019 00:11, TMS320 wrote:
On 09/11/2019 19:05, MrCheerful wrote:

He must have had a private income, 14700 a year at 8 mph would take
229 8 hour days per year to complete. or maybe his records are
exaggerated.

...or he was able to do more than 8mph. It takes a lot of effort to go
that slowly.

Indeed, 8mph is less than 3 times walking speed.

--
Bod
Old November 10th 19, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 1:09:12 AM UTC, Bod wrote:
....or he was able to do more than 8mph. It takes a lot of effort to go
that slowly.

Indeed, 8mph is less than 3 times walking speed.

My average was 17mph on my commute.

£5 million compo for injured cyclist Alycidon UK 4 December 5th 15 03:07 PM
Cyclist kills 60 million Tarcap UK 3 November 6th 15 10:44 AM
14 million for injured cyclist Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 2 September 19th 10 02:58 PM
cyclist awarded 2.5 million rob kercher Social Issues 1 April 17th 05 02:21 AM
Briton's spending less on cycle helmets? Danny Colyer UK 4 March 22nd 05 12:31 PM