Another Mountain Biker Dies from a Heart Attack

Old September 7th 09, 07:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default Another Mountain Biker Dies from a Heart Attack

So much for the alleged "health benefits" of mountain biking....

Mike

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/naza...070.xml&coll=3

Brian Hahl, Stockertown cyclist who raised multiple sclerosis
awareness for 20 years, died

Saturday, July 11, 2009
By COLIN MCEVOY
The Express-Times

Brian Hahl, a 50-year-old teacher and cyclist from Stockertown, died
Thursday afternoon after suffering a heart attack during a bicycle
ride.

Hahl, who had been a science teacher for 27 years at Hillsborough
Middle School in Somerset County, N.J., was preparing to participate
in his 20th consecutive bicycle run to raise funds and awareness for
multiple sclerosis.

Jim Durham, a teaching colleague and friend who planned to ride
alongside Hahl, said Hahl's teammates will now be riding in his
honor.

"He completely inspired me," said Durham, 41, who has multiple
sclerosis but rode 50 miles alongside Hahl last year.

"He pushed me to ride when I said that I couldn't do it," said Durham,
who plans to ride 150 miles this year. "He knew that I could do it,
and I'm so grateful to him for that."

Hahl was planning to lead the Lehigh Valley-based team MS Milestones
in the National MS Society's annual PA Dutch 2009, a July 18-19
cycling event expected to raise $325,000 to battle the chronic
disease.

Linda Ruzanski, a former teaching colleague of Hahl who has multiple
sclerosis, said Hahl looked forward to the event every year, and
worked hard to raise money and awareness to fight the disease.

"He was just a good man with a good heart, and his students absolutely
loved him, just loved him," said Ruzanski, 58, of New Hope, who knew
Hahl for 24 years. "He will be missed in more ways than one."

Hahl was also a member of the local Lehigh Wheelmen Association and
rode for 14 years in the Pennsylvania Perimeter Ride Against Cancer in
honor of his father, who died of cancer.

When Hahl first started riding in the National MS Society's PA Dutch
event, he did not know anyone with multiple sclerosis, nor had he even
ridden a bicycle seriously before....
Old September 7th 09, 08:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

There is NOTHING in that story that indicates a mountain bike event.

We've taken up a collection for you to get a brain transplant to double your
IQ. We are looking for the donor chicken now. We can't find one smart
enough.

Old September 8th 09, 04:56 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Sep 7, 12:07*pm, "Jeff Strickland" wrote:
There is NOTHING in that story that indicates a mountain bike event.

We've taken up a collection for you to get a brain transplant to double your
IQ. We are looking for the donor chicken now. We can't find one smart
enough.

The only thing you know how to collect is dust.
Old September 8th 09, 02:10 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Kayak44

On Sep 7, 11:56*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Sep 7, 12:07*pm, "Jeff Strickland" wrote:

There is NOTHING in that story that indicates a mountain bike event.

We've taken up a collection for you to get a brain transplant to double your
IQ. We are looking for the donor chicken now. We can't find one smart
enough.

The only thing you know how to collect is dust.

Mike collects frequent flyer miles even though he claims that
airplanes are "just "convenient" for people who don't care
about the environment."
Old September 10th 09, 05:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mint[_2_]

On Sep 7, 2:07*pm, "Jeff Strickland" wrote:
There is NOTHING in that story that indicates a mountain bike event.

We've taken up a collection for you to get a brain transplant to double your
IQ. We are looking for the donor chicken now. We can't find one smart
enough.

We don't know all of the health conditions of the rider either.

Just a joke - I could be wrong, but 2 X 0 = 0 :-)

Take care.
Old September 11th 09, 03:26 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
JP

Default More LIES from Michael Vandeman

An incorrigible liar and flame baiter.
Yes he is a hypocrite.

And that's the reason he tries to spread his toxic crap here.
All serious organizations and publications ignore him.

Kill any more cats lately MikeyBoy???
Old September 11th 09, 05:01 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry
Last Post

On Sep 7, 2:17*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
So much for the alleged "health benefits" of mountain biking....

Please keep your biking crap out of the sci.* groups

Thank you.

Old September 11th 09, 09:59 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry
di

"Last Post" wrote in message
On Sep 7, 2:17 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
So much for the alleged "health benefits" of mountain biking....

Please keep your biking crap out of the sci.* groups

Thank you.

Please keep it out of the biking groups also

Old September 12th 09, 06:59 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

DI who? wrote:
"Last Post" wrote in message
On Sep 7, 2:17 pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
So much for the alleged "health benefits" of mountain biking....

Please keep your biking crap out of the sci.* groups[.]

Thank you.

Please keep it out of the biking groups also[.]

If only.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Old September 13th 09, 03:44 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Len McDougall, Outdoor Writer

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/naza...e/news-0/12472...

Saturday, July 11, 2009
By COLIN MCEVOY
[...]

"This is the true joy of living. This being used for a purpose
recognized by yourself as a mighty one. This being thoroughly used up
before being thrown on the scrap heap. This being a force of nature
instead of a feverish, selfish little clod, full of ailments and
grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to
making you happy." G. B. Shaw

Do you recognize that quote Mikey I-only-pretend-to-have-a-Phd.
Vandeman? You quoted it. Maybe you should abide by its wisdom. Or
maybe you can just improve your reading comprehension to help avoid
shooting yourself in the foot that always seems to be in that
exaggerated mouth of yours.

Len McDougall, author of the books: Tracking & Reading Sign *
Practical Outdoor Survival, 2nd Edition * The Encyclopedia of Tracks &
Scats * The Log Cabin: An Adventure in Self Reliance, Individualism,
and Cabin Building * The Field & Stream Wilderness Survival Handbook *
The Complete Tracker * Practical Outdoor Projects * Practical Outdoor
Survival * The Snowshoe Handbook * The Outdoors Almanac * Made for the
Outdoors
Contributor to: Consumers Digest * Tactical Knives * Woods-N-Water
News * Fur-Fish-Game * Michigan Country Lines * Backwoods Home, Modern
Survival, and other fine magazines.
Wilderness Guide/Survival Instructor for Timberwolf Wilderness
Adventures, Paradise, Michigan USA