Which Road Pedals Should I Get?

Old September 1st 09, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fullerton Bike Rider (Colin Campbell)

Default Which Road Pedals Should I Get?

I have two bikes with Campagnolo ProFit pedals. The pedals are worn,
and need repair. My LBS was able to get new springs, but had a heck
of a time finding new plates which go over the springs. And they're
being told that the plates do not include the screws needed to secure
them to the pedals. (How does Campy make new pedals? You'd think
they'd have the screws....) The parts prices are outrageous, too.

Besides that, the industry has caught up with Campy on low weight (270
g was great a few years back, but it's heavy now).

So, I'm going to replace the two sets of pedals and the cleats on four
pairs of shoes. I'm leaning toward Look Keo Carbon / Steel pedals,
though I've had one suggestion of Dura Ace (mechanic at LBS), and one
of Speedplay (only response to a similar question in
rec.bicycles.tech).

I've heard that the Keo pedals may have a durability issue, and I'm a
daily, long distance rider. I've read that there is a Keo 2 Max
version of the Look pedals, which is supposed to be longer lasting at
a minimal weight increase.

What do you folks use, and what would you suggest for my needs?
Old September 1st 09, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jeanette

On Aug 31, 8:37*pm, "Fullerton Bike Rider (Colin Campbell)"
wrote:
[...]

What is an LBS? Did you mean LDS as in Latter Day Saint? Just get
the Keo peddles and be done with it and watch this video...
http://www.lookcycle.com/look_dev/keo2max/video-en.php
Old September 1st 09, 06:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:
[...]

What are your needs?

Most people need pedals that are reliable, fit the
shoes they like, don't cause hotspots, and have
replacement cleats available in most bikeshops.

Based on your previous set of pedals and your inclination
towards Look Keo Carbon, Dura-Ace etc etc, it seems your
needs also include cost of $200 and up per pair. I'm not
really qualified to advise on that. Although I'd suggest
avoiding the really expensive Speedplay model because
they have titanium axles and though I'm sure they're
wonderful, Ti pedal axles are a stupid idea if you're not
an anorexic 12K dreamer.

I got a pair of Shimano Look copies for $5 at a
swap meet once. But I'm not sure those fit your
criteria. On the other hand, the Dura-Ace Look copy
collector's items that LANCE used to ride have probably
gotten a lot cheaper since he switched away from
them. Ha.

Ben
Old September 1st 09, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
bar

wrote:
[...]

grab some stainless steel axle speedplay zeros ... double-sided entry,
widely adjustable rotation, and the cleats last A LOT longer than
looks or look clones like shimano
Old September 1st 09, 09:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ed Raket

Fullerton Bike Rider (Colin Campbell) wrote:
What do you folks use, and what would you suggest for my needs?

Dura Ace SPD-R (that's not SPD and not SPD-SL). They're the bestest. Try
and grab a pair on Ebay.
Old September 1st 09, 10:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:37:56 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

Apart from Speedplays and Eggbeaters, are there any road pedals that
have the center of float rotation roughly ove the pedal axle, as
opposed to at the front of the cleat.

I had some old Look pedals that I liked but it seemed they allowed
float centered on the front of the cleat, which I didn't like.

I'm looking for a pedal with a larger cleat surface area, but
rotation over the axle. Does that exist?
Old September 1st 09, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

"Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT" wrote
in message ...
wrote:

[...]

If the bottom of your shoe doesn't flex in ways it shouldn't, then the
cleat surface area shouldn't make much, if any, difference. The whole
pedal/cleat/shoes is, as they say, a system. (Some people try Speedplay
MTB pedals and think the road pedals will feel the same, but there is
more play in the MTB system.)

-S-

Old September 1st 09, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"bar" wrote in message

grab some stainless steel axle speedplay zeros ... double-sided entry,
widely adjustable rotation, and the cleats last A LOT longer than
looks or look clones like shimano

Keo's are the best operational pedals but indeed the Speedplays have a lot
better cleat wear. Be sure to buy a couple of sets of replacement
clips/spings.

Old September 1st 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark J.

wrote:
[...]

Yup, they sure are. All sorts of near-new Look delta-cleated pedals on
Ebay for a song. They still work just fine. The cleats are /not/ great
for walking, even with covers. Very nice for riding.

Mark J.
Old September 1st 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark J.

Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT wrote:
Apart from Speedplays and Eggbeaters, are there any road pedals that
have the center of float rotation roughly ove the pedal axle, as
opposed to at the front of the cleat.

I had some old Look pedals that I liked but it seemed they allowed
float centered on the front of the cleat, which I didn't like.

I'm looking for a pedal with a larger cleat surface area, but
rotation over the axle. Does that exist?

I'm not advocating or anything, but you've already mentioned the
Speedplays. I've not used them (but have been tempted often). Is there
some reason they don't meet your needs? I thought they had a very large
cleat area.

Mark J.

Road pedals KM Techniques 43 November 28th 06 09:31 PM
Road pedals? Dave Stallard General 21 September 16th 05 06:26 PM
FA: Ritchey Road Pro Pedals - Onza TI MTB Pedals - Tour de France & Campi Cycling Caps SiberianTradingPost Marketplace 0 July 18th 05 03:47 PM
Mountain Vs. Road pedals for a road bike SuperSlinky Techniques 35 August 19th 04 07:57 PM
WTB: Speedplay road pedals or Time Impact Pedals Milsk8 Marketplace 1 April 25th 04 02:33 PM