Inexpensive recumbent trike

Old October 14th 03, 04:17 AM
GeoB

Default Inexpensive recumbent trike

my search, primarily using the Internet,
has not produced one that is within my
budget. Is the EZ-3 just about the only trike
option at what I consider entry level price?

This is a discussion, not a recomendation!!!

Look at http://www.americruiser.com/

$799. Tadpole trike. This is a garage-built-by-one-man machine, from
square aluminum tubing. It is a kick to ride. Cheap components. The
spindle yoke (?) setup is so thin it bends, purdy soon your tires at a
weird camber. I had a child on the trike with me, prolly about 250
lbs total. I was fooling around in the street with it and turned too
sharp. It went up on two tires, and that bent the steering part. I
have yet to see a picture of one of these that doesn't look like the
steering part is bent. But maybe that is unfair, cuz I don't know fer
sure whut its 'sposed to look like.
There is no feedback from the steering stick and it is easy to dial in
too much turn. At speed (15mph) the tiniest inputs which are
unavoidable cause you to wander back and forth on the road, maybe a
foot or two. My bro bought one of these and had a machinist build a
stronger part there. He hasn't ridden it yet with the new parts. It
comes with mtn bike components, and 16-20" wheels, (whichever, I don't
recall) low-pressure Kmart knobby tires. You can't adjust the seat
anywhere near as far back as I would want. There is only one brake,
on the rear. It is either for the suicide-prone or is some kinda joke
I didn't get. Oh, the brake is fine, its just that the trike is so
tall that the weight shift is so pronounced that the rear tire just
skids.

Pluses:
It is fun and cheap. Looks cheap to buy (or build) parts for. It
looks like a tinkerer's dream since nothing is welded. It is made
from easy-to-buy aluminum tubing and bolted together. One could
change it around radically, just for fun, you could change some frame
members to get the seat to recline. I think that it may be fairly
reliable once the steering is fixed which isn't a big deal to a
tinkerer.

I'd love to have about six of these and a dirt oval, and invite my
friends over for the heat races.

Oh, and get all the owner/salesman's promises on paper.