Torker Airsaddle on KH

Old January 15th 04, 05:34 AM
fluffinator007

Default Torker Airsaddle on KH

I am buying a KH24 and i would like to upgrade the seat to a airsaddle.
I have a miyata style torker saddle from a torker 24'' i bought about 6
months ago. Can the torker be converted to an airsaddle the same way a
miyata could and with the same hardware. And would the GB4 stiffener
fit inside it. But my main concern is what seatpost or seat post
accessories im going to need to get the torker seat/seat post to fit
inside the KH seat tube. Has anyone done this or something similar?
Any suggestions?

--
fluffinator007 - Expert UPD'ist
fluffinator007's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4757

Old January 15th 04, 05:37 AM
muniracer

fluffinator007 wrote:
*But my main concern is what seatpost or seat post accessories im
going to need to get the torker seat/seat post to fit inside the KH
seat tube. Has anyone done this or something similar? Any
suggestions? *

shim. use a soda can or similar object to fit the seat post. the seat
post for miyata is smaller than kh.

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuq25
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

Old January 15th 04, 06:23 AM
U-Turn

*
I am buying a KH24 and i would like to upgrade the seat to a
airsaddle. I have a miyata style torker saddle from a torker 24'' i
bought about 6 months ago. Can the torker be converted to an
airsaddle the same way a miyata could and with the same hardware.
*

Yes.

*
And would the GB4 stiffener fit inside it.
*

Yes.

*
But my main concern is what seatpost or seat post accessories im going
to need to get the torker seat/seat post to fit inside the KH seat
tube. Has anyone done this or something similar? Any suggestions?
*

The KH seat tube ID is about 29.0-29.4 mm which is HUGE compared to the
standard Miyata 22.2mm. You will have a hard time, I think finding a
shim that will do that for you; I don't see one in the books I have
here. You have two options:

1. Get a larger seatpost (say, 25.4 or larger if possible) and use a
reasonably-sized shim. The shim that comes with is a 27.2 - 29.4.
Problem Solvers puts out a shim that takes a 25.4mm post up to 29.4, and
another that takes it up to 29.2. They cost about $7.00 each; order
from your LBS. This solution is okay, but somewhat of a compromise.
uni.com has a 25.4mm GB4 seatpost that you could use that costs about
$20.

2. Get the right size seatpost. The KH seat tube is a really odd size
and there aren't many seatposts that size with no set back. However,
Thomsen puts out one that should fit. Then you need a rail adaptor for
your seat. The Thomsen-Elite seatpost is a really great one and costs
about about $75. The rail adaptor costs $69 now that it has the KH
label on it. I have this setup on my Pashley MUni.

I don't know whether 29.2 or 29.4 is the best size to buy for option 1.
I measured the tube at 29.0 but the included spacer implies 29.4. For
option 2, Thomsen only has 29.0 and 29.4, so you will have to make an
intelligent guess or do some more sleuthing.

A soda can would not bridge that gap usefully.

--
U-Turn - There has got to be a better way...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

'Unatics Website' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)

-- Dave Stockton

Old January 15th 04, 06:36 AM
john_childs

U-Turn wrote:
*The KH seat tube ID is about 29.0-29.4 mm which is HUGE compared to
the standard Miyata 22.2mm. You will have a hard time, I think
finding a shim that will do that for you; I don't see one in the books
I have here. You have two options: *

The Taiwanese KH frames have a 27.2 mm seat post. The Canadian made KH
Pro frames have weird sizes but the Taiwanese ones are more normal.

Unicycle.com has a seat post shim to fit a 22.2 mm seatpost (like the
Miyata seat post) in a 27.2 mm frame. 'Seat Post Sizer'
(http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=244) I can't find the
shims in the online catalog. I had to search on "sizer" to find them.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old January 15th 04, 06:58 AM
jagur

U-Turn wrote:

And would the GB4 stiffener fit inside it.

Yes.

true but once you do that the stock bolts are no longer long enough to
mount the seat post since the GB plate is so thick.you will need new
hardware

are we haveing fun yet?

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

Old January 15th 04, 03:11 PM
U-Turn

Hey hey thanks John; I've only dealt so far with this one. Is there any
obvious way to tell the different frames apart besides with a caliper?
Also, are there only two versions of the frame?

Good point, Jag. Basically I always replace all the hardware with
stainless of completely different dimensions, anyway. The stiffener
also makes it harder to put on the adapter because the plates makes the
bolts point out like the curvature of the seat, but the adapters are
made as though the bolts can be manipulated around at will.

Old January 16th 04, 12:32 AM
john_childs

U-Turn wrote:
*Hey hey thanks John; I've only dealt so far with this one. Is there
any obvious way to tell the different frames apart besides with a
caliper? Also, are there only two versions of the frame? *

There are a couple of different versions of the KH Pro frame. I think
the difference is the size of the bearing. Some frames use a 1-5/8" and
some are 40 mm. I don't know if there are other changes in the
different versions of the frame.

The KH Pro comes with a shim so it fits a 27.2 mm seat post so the
actual ID of the seat tube isn't something to worry about.

An easy way to tell the difference between the KH Pro and the KH
(Taiwanese) is to look at the bearing holders. The KH Pro has a much
smoother and elegant design. I'll attach a picture of the KH Pro
bearing clamp. There are some differences in the crown too, but I'm not
sure what those differences are. If you look at a KH Pro and a KH side
by side you'd notice the differences.

KH Pro bearing holder:

| Attachment filename: khproframe.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/185291|

Old January 16th 04, 12:46 AM
john_childs

U-Turn wrote:
*Good point, Jag. Basically I always replace all the hardware with
stainless of completely different dimensions, anyway. The stiffener
also makes it harder to put on the adapter because the plates makes
the bolts point out like the curvature of the seat, but the adapters
are made as though the bolts can be manipulated around at will. *

Installing the GB4 Stiffener plate is tricky. I have it on my freestyle
unicycle with a made in Japan Miyata saddle. I had to file away part of
the Miyata base to get the hardware to fit through the stiffener. I'm
using a mix of 1/4" carriage bolts and the original Miyata hardware in
the seat.

It is not trivial to install the stiffener. It takes some work and some
fiddling.