how much abuse can a Torker take?

Old February 8th 04, 09:19 PM
Rayden

Default how much abuse can a Torker take?

I just bought a 2004 20" Torker LX a few weeks ago. I've quickly gotten
better in my trials skills. I can hop up onto about a 1 ft bench, ride
off 2ft+. My question is how much can my Torker take?

After riding the entire day yesterday the left crankarm is loose. I
tightened it but there's still a little play. I don't know if I've bent
something or I just need to tighten it more.

I am realizing I may need a better trials unicycle. There doesn't seem
to be a lot of options.

Nimbus trials for $170. Not splined. How strong is it?

Kris Holm 20" $400. From what I've heard its about as strong as they
come.

Onza $380. The frame looks like the Nimbus frame? The seat that comes
with it on unicycle.com looks gross. I'd have to get a KH or Miyata
seat.

Yuni $300. This looks like a Nimbus frame with stronger hub... How is it
different?

I don't really want to spend $400 right now on a unicycle. Like I said
i've only been riding a lot for a few weeks. What problems might I have
if I buy a Nimbus? Are there any other options?

--
Rayden
Rayden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/264

Old February 8th 04, 09:58 PM
nick

that torker is going to be finished soon.

--
nick - jerk on one wheel

later,
nick http://www.extreme.unicyclist.com
nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/349

Old February 8th 04, 11:51 PM
Rayden

I think I will probably upgrade to a Nimbus. I haven't seen too much
feedback on them though. No reviews in the reviews forum. Sort of
odd...

Now the problem is convincing my friend that he wants to buy my new
Torker.

Old February 9th 04, 12:12 AM
super_evill

The picture for the onza on uni.com isn't acurrate. The unicycle comes
with a KH style seat and a black nibus frame with yellow and white
stripes. My friend ordered one just a while ago. It's awesome for the
price!

--
super_evill - Addicted To Jesus

"Whadda ya want me to do, whack a guy, off a guy, whackoff a guy, cuz
I'm married"- Peter Griffin

super_evill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4492

Old February 9th 04, 12:16 AM
daino149

Here's a thread on the death of my Torker:
http://tinyurl.com/mlld

I think the nimbus looks like a good deal. It still isn't a full blown
trials cycle though, so be careful. There have been reports of Summits
popping up on ebay. That might be worth checking out.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

there ain't enough body armor in the country for me to try that. -- Ken
on the mtbr forum in reference to MUni

Old February 9th 04, 12:53 AM
scooter

i'm kinda' new to trials too. i have a torker 20" LX.

I HATE IT

ive only had it for about 3 weeks and im on my 3rd set of cranks. i
striped the threads on the right crank but my local bike shope said they
will keep replaicing them till i can get that nimbus.

dont take thios the wrong way. torkers are fine if you are into
freestyle, but they are not built for trials.

i've done 2"+ drops and other big stuff but you have to be careful.

--
scooter - i live on the edge...of town

*SCOOT*

time flies like the wind,
fruit flys like oranges. -anonymous
scooter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5423

Old February 9th 04, 01:24 AM
nick

scooter wrote:
*i've done 2"+ drops and other big stuff but you have to be careful. *

you do realize that you just said "2 INCH drops" dont you?

Old February 9th 04, 02:47 AM
bugman

Rayden wrote:
* My question is how much can my Torker take?
*

I am not sure how much it can take, but it can't take being backed over
by a Jeep Wrangler with 31" Goodyear M/T's. As for the others, I don't
think they could handle it either. Needless to say, I no longer park
them against the wall near my jeep. They all have their own hook to
keep them out of harms way.

The good thing that came of it was I got a new KH24 for Fathers Day. I
was so bummed when I ran over it, my Wife didn't even question it. Now
this may not be the best way to upgrade, but it worked for me.

--
bugman - Equilibrium Challenged

Do you know that sensation you feel leaning back in a chair just before
you fall over? I feel that way pretty much all the time.

Old February 9th 04, 05:11 AM
Rayden

bugman wrote:
* Now this may not be the best way to upgrade, but it worked for me.
*

My dad swears that was my strategy for upgrading the computer. Sabotage
something in order to upgrade.

Old February 9th 04, 07:28 AM
paco

There is also the Torker DX. It's been described as a hybrid
freestyle/trials uni. It should take some abuse, as it does come with a
splined hub, and is around $200.

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

"Not all cannibals are alike."
-Andy, my roommate
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715