Bike parking

Old November 16th 04, 11:01 AM
Joao Barros

Default Bike parking

In Portugal, bikes are not very popular, but some people are trying...

I want to convince the school where I work to create a bike parking.
Where can I find photos of good ways/equipments to park bikes? I
already googled a little but maybe someone knows of a really
illustrative/useful site...

Thanks for your attention

Joao

P.S. Please reply to the newsgroup as I will not be reading the email.
Old November 16th 04, 01:50 PM
Beverly

"Joao Barros" wrote in message
om...
In Portugal, bikes are not very popular, but some people are trying...

I want to convince the school where I work to create a bike parking.
Where can I find photos of good ways/equipments to park bikes? I
already googled a little but maybe someone knows of a really
illustrative/useful site...

Thanks for your attention

Joao

P.S. Please reply to the newsgroup as I will not be reading the email.

Our company has a few of these installed for employees who bike to work.
Hope you can convince your company to provide something similar.
http://www.biketrack.com/storage/par...p_college.html

Most restaurants and shops located near the bike trails in the area have
some type of bike rack available for bike parking. A few are shown on this
site.
http://www.bikeparking.com/

Old November 16th 04, 03:37 PM
Bill Baka

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:50:44 -0500, Beverly wrote:

[...]

Not to overpost this morning but my last full time employer had so many
bike commuters they put a bike rack inside the building, and we wound up
with about 8 commuters out of 105 employees. Some of the older guys,
55+ insisted on their cars, but then they looked their age.

Bill (not always politically correct) Baka
Old November 16th 04, 03:47 PM
Beverly

news

wrote:

[...]

I would love to be a bike commuter but my 10 hour days and the 2 hour daily
commute by car just don't allow enough time. Yea, I know it's my choice
I tried living closer to work but hate the area. It's too congested. I
prefer living in a sleepy little suburb with bike lanes instead of this
highly congested area with bumper-to-bumper traffic, no bike lanes and no
berms.

Beverly (who loves small town living much better)

Old November 16th 04, 04:27 PM
Rich Clark

"Beverly" wrote in message

I would love to be a bike commuter but my 10 hour days and the 2 hour
daily
commute by car just don't allow enough time. Yea, I know it's my choice

I tried living closer to work but hate the area. It's too congested. I
prefer living in a sleepy little suburb with bike lanes instead of this
highly congested area with bumper-to-bumper traffic, no bike lanes and no
berms.

If your suburbs-to-city commute is typical of most, then the last 5 miles
takes a disproportionate amount of time. Perhaps you could bring your bike
along in the car and ride that last 5 miles. You might find a cheaper and
easier place to park, too, and find that you don't lose any time.

My commute is 13 miles from the suburbs to Center City Philadelphia, and
door-to-door it's about the same as driving/parking, and faster than the
train.

RichC

Old November 16th 04, 05:08 PM
Bill Baka

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:47:04 -0500, Beverly wrote:

news

wrote:

[...]

If it is bumper to bumper (been there, done that) what makes you so
sure it might not be faster to use a bike? Unless you have a fair
65 MPH after the bumper to bumper.

--
Bill (not always politically correct) Baka
Old November 16th 04, 05:46 PM
Beverly

"Rich Clark" wrote in message
news

"Beverly" wrote in message

[...]

The last few miles of the commute are the worst for me. It's interstate, a
busy state route without berms and a major mall and shopping center. The
bus service to the suburbs isn't very good. Taking the bus often takes 2-3
times longer than driving. I live in the northern part of our county and
work in the southern part.

This did get me thinking about riding from home to a place near downtown
where I could catch one of the more regular and reliable bus routes to the
other end of the county. I may have to get a map of the county bus routes
and their schedule and check this out. The biggest problem would be finding
a safe place to leave the bike. They would steal the bike out of under you
in the downtown area. I doubt any chain would keep them from stealing it.

Beverly

Old November 16th 04, 05:56 PM
Fritz M

Bev wrote of her move from the city to the suburbs:

It's too congested. I prefer living in a sleepy little suburb with

bike lanes
instead of this highly congested area with bumper-to-bumper traffic,

no
bike lanes and no berms.

For most of my adult life I lived at least 20 miles from my work. Then
I got a job ten miles from home; then I got a job telecommuting and I
couldn't believe the amount of time and money I saved. For my current
job I purposely bought a home reasonably close (six miles) to work.
There's some minimal rush-hour congestion (it's a small city), but I
hit the congestion three minutes from my front door instead of hitting
it after a twenty minute drive through farmland.

My son (age 9) occasionally expresses a desire to move to the country
where he can ride 4-wheelers and shoot guns and look for bugs and
critters. That stuff is certainly fun, but I point out that if we lived
on a 4-acre spread he would have no friends. I read in the paper about
teens living in some of the outlying towns who have nothing to do --
they are completely isolated in their exurban islands. Motorized
transportation is a necessity for them, meaning they're tied to mom's
apron strings that much longer. I've tried promoting bicycling as a
means of independent transportation for teens in exurbia, but parents
are fearful of the perceived dangers of the little county roads that
have become congested arterials to the work and commerce centers.

When they're a little older, my children will be able to independently
take the bus to museums, the zoo, kayak parks, a day snow ski area,
even their grandmother if they want. The mommy-taxi is needlessly
indulgent for any ambulatory child over the age of 13 or so. I'm
raising them up to be confident, independent, resourceful, respectful
and responsible. I love my children, but they *will* be set free from
me the summer after their 18th birthday, whether they want to be or not
:-)

RFM

Old November 16th 04, 05:59 PM
Rich Clark

"Beverly" wrote in message

This did get me thinking about riding from home to a place near downtown
where I could catch one of the more regular and reliable bus routes to the
other end of the county. I may have to get a map of the county bus routes
and their schedule and check this out. The biggest problem would be
finding
a safe place to leave the bike. They would steal the bike out of under
you
in the downtown area. I doubt any chain would keep them from stealing it.

Do the buses have bike carriers on the front? (Lots of localities do, but we
often don't notice them unless we need them.)

Also -- and I can't emphasize this enough -- when planning a bike commute,
it's critical not to do so from the perspective of a driver. The streets and
roads you use will almost never be the same ones you'd use when driving;
they'll probably be roads you never knew existed.

What you need, to start with, is a detailed surface street map of the areas
where you want to find a route. Then comes the fun part: take some weekends
and go exploring. You'd probably be out riding anyway, so why not use the
time to find a practical commuting route?

You might even be able to change the driving part of the commute to make it
shorter and less onerous, if your destination becomes "a good place to park
and start riding from."

Personally, I find it more useful to measure my commute in terms of
stress-reduction and health benefits. The (significant) cost savings and
gentler environmental impact of not driving, while real, don't motivate me.
They make good discussion points, but I'd ride even if it cost as much as
driving.

Disclaimer: I have the great advantage of a secure private office where I
can park my bike, which lets me commute on a *really* nice bike. That
motivates me, too!

RichC