choosing a new fork

Old May 31st 04, 04:33 PM
pas

Default choosing a new fork

I'm going to have to replace the RS SID SL at some point and I have a few
probably basic questions.

My first choice to replace it would be the Marzocchi EXR pro with 105 mm of
travel. My question is this, I read somewhere that an 80mm fork has to be
replaced with an 80mm.... What do I measure on the current fork to know the
mm's it is? Does it really matter? I"m pretty sure that when I had Mr
Adventures Judy replaced with and EXR last year, on his M2 Comp, that he
went from 80 to 100 and he's loving it.

Does the weight of the fork really matter if I"m looking at that kind of
fork? Based on all the unbiased AMB reviews I've read over the years, I
haven't really considered looking at anything else but a Bomber.. should I?
I"m certainly underwhelmed by constant seepage out of the SID,even after a
full rebuild by the RS techs at NORBA last year.

thanks

penny

Old May 31st 04, 04:52 PM
mojo deluxe

"pas" wrote in message
[...]

Fox F80RLT. It's light, and stiff (laterally).

Another possible choice, would be the Fox Float100RLC. It's a little
heavier, but you can give a 100mm fork a try. If you decide you don't like
100mm, it can be set to 80mm. It also cost less than the F80RLT.

Then there's the Fox Talas series. They can be adjusted from 85mm to 125mm.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/website/homepage.asp

The 'Zokes are damn nice forks, though. My only gripe about them, is lack of
selection for 80mm forks, and they are heavy.

Old May 31st 04, 04:54 PM
pas

mojo deluxe wrote:

Fox F80RLT. It's light, and stiff (laterally).

Another possible choice, would be the Fox Float100RLC. It's a little
heavier, but you can give a 100mm fork a try. If you decide you don't
like 100mm, it can be set to 80mm. It also cost less than the F80RLT.

Then there's the Fox Talas series. They can be adjusted from 85mm to
125mm.

$600??!!! ouch, that's waaaay out of my price range!!!!Yikes!!!

ps

Old May 31st 04, 05:00 PM
mojo deluxe

"pas" wrote in message
mojo deluxe wrote:

Fox F80RLT. It's light, and stiff (laterally).

Another possible choice, would be the Fox Float100RLC. It's a little
heavier, but you can give a 100mm fork a try. If you decide you don't
like 100mm, it can be set to 80mm. It also cost less than the F80RLT.

Then there's the Fox Talas series. They can be adjusted from 85mm to
125mm.

$600??!!! ouch, that's waaaay out of my price range!!!!Yikes!!!

That's why I don't have one yet, but there is hope.....

http://www.qbike.com/cgi-bin/bike.cg...uct=on&lp=&hp=

There's a lot of new bike take-offs selling on ebay with short steerers
going for less. Considering that your frame is small, you should not have
much of a problem finding one with a steerer long enough. Just make sure you
know how long your steerer is.

Old June 2nd 04, 12:08 PM
spademan o---[\) *

"pas" wrote in message
I'm going to have to replace the RS SID SL at some point and I have a few
probably basic questions.

My first choice to replace it would be the Marzocchi EXR pro with 105 mm

of
travel. My question is this, I read somewhere that an 80mm fork has to be
replaced with an 80mm.... What do I measure on the current fork to know

the
mm's it is?

Put a zip tie around the stanchion, push it down to the bottom against the
seals and go ride/bounce about/jump off the biggest obstacle you can find.
Measuring the amount the zip tie has moved should give a rough estimate of
fork travel.

Does it really matter? I"m pretty sure that when I had Mr
Adventures Judy replaced with and EXR last year, on his M2 Comp, that he
went from 80 to 100 and he's loving it.

A difference of 20mm in travel roughly equates to slackening the head angle
by a degree. Forks with the same travel from different manufacturers will
vary slightly but this is the general rule of thumb.

Does the weight of the fork really matter if I"m looking at that kind of
fork? Based on all the unbiased AMB reviews I've read over the years, I
haven't really considered looking at anything else but a Bomber.. should

I?

considering value for money, probably not. I'm keen to try one of the magura
range of forks though, but they are a bit of an unknown quantity.

thanks
penny

Steve.

Old June 2nd 04, 02:28 PM
bomba

On Mon, 31 May 2004 08:33:42 -0700, pas wrote:

I'm going to have to replace the RS SID SL at some point and I have a few
probably basic questions.

My first choice to replace it would be the Marzocchi EXR pro with 105 mm of
travel. My question is this, I read somewhere that an 80mm fork has to be
replaced with an 80mm.... What do I measure on the current fork to know the
mm's it is?

Google would probably be your easiest option, or you could just ask
here...

It's 63-80mm

Does it really matter? I"m pretty sure that when I had Mr
Adventures Judy replaced with and EXR last year, on his M2 Comp, that he
went from 80 to 100 and he's loving it.

It really depends on the geometry of the bike. A 100mm fork will jack up
the front end, which will tend to give you a more upright (and possibly
more comfortable) ride. It will make steering a little slower though.

Does the weight of the fork really matter if I"m looking at that kind of
fork?

You'll be going from pretty much the lightest fork on the market to one of
the heavier XC forks. You'll probably notice the difference, but you
should get used to it. And the extra stiffness should compensate a little.

From a weight point of view, you may want to look at one of the 'Zocchi
air-sprung forks rather than a coil model. But whilst you also lose
weight, you also lose in suppleness.

Based on all the unbiased AMB reviews I've read over the years, I
haven't really considered looking at anything else but a Bomber.. should
I?

They're cheap, durable and they work well. There are other forks on the
market, but seeing as you've discounted Fox, I don't think there's a lot
else suitable.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old June 2nd 04, 03:57 PM
pas

bomba wrote:
[...]

From a weight point of view, you may want to look at one of the
'Zocchi air-sprung forks rather than a coil model. But whilst you
also lose weight, you also lose in suppleness.

Based on all the unbiased AMB reviews I've read over the years, I
haven't really considered looking at anything else but a Bomber..
should I?

They're cheap, durable and they work well. There are other forks on
the market, but seeing as you've discounted Fox, I don't think
there's a lot else suitable.

no not FOX, Rock Shock.

Old June 2nd 04, 04:03 PM
pas

bomba wrote:
Based on all the unbiased AMB reviews I've read over the years, I
haven't really considered looking at anything else but a Bomber..
should I?

They're cheap, durable and they work well. There are other forks on
the market, but seeing as you've discounted Fox, I don't think
there's a lot else suitable.

OK, so let me ask this... Based on everyting I've ever read here, the
majority opinion seems to the that RS is not a great product... is there a
good reason to reconsider this and maybe look at a RS?

clueless,

Penny

Old June 2nd 04, 04:05 PM
S o r n i

pas wrote:
bomba wrote (of Marzocchi forks):

They're cheap, durable and they work well. There are other forks on
the market, but seeing as you've discounted Fox, I don't think
there's a lot else suitable.

no not FOX, Rock Shock.

He's referring to the Talas forks, I believe, which you (understandably)
ruled out due to $$$.

Bill "Marathon SL on closeout" S.

Old June 2nd 04, 04:08 PM
pas

S o r n i wrote:
pas wrote:
bomba wrote (of Marzocchi forks):

They're cheap, durable and they work well. There are other forks on
the market, but seeing as you've discounted Fox, I don't think
there's a lot else suitable.

no not FOX, Rock Shock.

He's referring to the Talas forks, I believe, which you
(understandably) ruled out due to $$$.

Bill "Marathon SL on closeout" S.

it's like this, hubby just started an MBA program at a local private
university, which rules out any pricey bike goodies for a while. ;-)

Penny