Leg hurting while gliding

Old May 30th 05, 03:19 AM
litldude2

Default Leg hurting while gliding

I have just learned to glide and after about 30-40 revs, my leg thats on
the tire starts hurting really badly. Its feels like its getting pulled
down with the tire even though im not putting that much pressure on it
so i have to work to keep my leg up and eventually it just falls off
because it gets so tired. So my question is, is this just a problem with
my tecnique or am i just really weak?

--
litldude2 - Spencer

Old May 30th 05, 03:26 AM
heavy metal unicycling

Put more weight on your seat.

Edit- Sorry I am Tiered and thought you said you where learning to ride.

--
heavy metal unicycling - Loveland Unicycling Club

People who throw stones at you are quietly saying, "shoot me," they're
just not being verbally expressive enough.
-harper
heavy metal unicycling's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9857

Old May 30th 05, 03:38 AM
Evan Byrne

HA!

--
Evan Byrne - Spencer is the weirdest avatar

Just learned to glide!
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

Old May 30th 05, 05:31 AM
daino149

More practice.

--
daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

Check out my 'pics ' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino)
'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
Rider without time.

Old May 30th 05, 05:54 AM
fcwegnm0b

I hate the "practice more" respsonse as much as anyone... I feel that
good gliding technique means you have as little pressure on the tire as
possible; bordering on coasting. When you start learning to glide, or
when I did anyway, I put a lot of pressure on the tire, and my leg got
really tired really fast. Once you get better at balancing in that
position, you will be able to glide with less and less pressure. The
trick is to feel yourself going off balance as soon as possible, and
correcting it as soon as possible.

Whenever you glide, try to use as little pressure as possible to control
your balance. Try leaning forward a little more and letting off some
pressure. You WILL fall forward a lot. Keep working at it, and your
responce time will get short and shorter, and you'll be flying down
hills in no time.

Dave

--
fcwegnm0b - HammerTron

I caught you a delicious bass.
fcwegnm0b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8357

Old May 30th 05, 11:17 PM
Stu Carter

Something I haven't seen anyone else mention - when you're gliding, you're
using a muscle which doesn't normally see much action. Think about it -
how often do you lift things backwards with your feet?

When starting out it aches a lot. When it gets used to working hard,
you'll notice less. Of course, the technique of as little touch as
possible also helps.

(Tried my first glide in about 5 years last Thursday. It seriously made
that muscle ache!)

Cheers,

Stu
--
:wq
Old May 31st 05, 12:49 AM
litldude2

Ya, i have been practicing more today and it doesnt hurt anymore. I
think i am putting less pressure on the tire because it feels like i am
going alot faster. I think my problem was i was leaning way too far back
to i had to constanly pull my self back up so i wouldnt fall, so now i
lean forward more and put little pressure on the wheel and i can go
forever

--
litldude2 - Spencer

Old May 31st 05, 03:49 AM
fcwegnm0b

Yea, Stu's right. But that muscle will gain strength with practice.

Sounds to me like you have it, litldude... good job!

--
fcwegnm0b - HammerTron

I caught you a delicious bass.
fcwegnm0b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8357

coasting vs. gliding ColDawG Unicycling 8 May 26th 05 08:01 PM
Getting used to gliding klaym Unicycling 12 August 27th 04 11:59 PM
Gliding James_Potter Unicycling 23 April 27th 04 11:36 PM
Gliding and backflips... joona Unicycling 41 November 11th 03 08:18 PM
Gliding Austin_hamer Unicycling 10 August 27th 03 07:08 PM