A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Rides
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Ride an SUB not an SUV



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #811  
Old April 9th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Clark F Morris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 77
Default Iraq responsibility was promoting "smart growth"

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 17:41:56 -0700, "Baxter"
wrote:

-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Clark F Morris" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 19:28:46 -0700, "Baxter"
wrote:
"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote in message
et...
In article ,
Baxter wrote:

Why is it we can spend $100 Billion on building Iraq, but not $2

billion
on
our own nation?

Be happy about that -- do you really want even 2% of the **** that's
going on in Iraq?

I want us OUT of Iraq, and building our OWN country.

After instituting regime change, the US took on a responsibility to
all those in Iraq who tried to make it work. While I am dubious about
the invasion and the reasoning behind it, it would be insane to leave
things open to something even worse than Sadaam for the people of
Iraq. It also would signal that it is not safe to ally with the
United States and that resisting them passively is safer.

Gamblers excuse. We need to recognize it's past time to cut our losses -
we'll come out ahead in the long run.

The US took on a responsibility to those who cooperated with it after
the invasion. How it treats those people may determine how US troops
are treated in the future. Many people are risking their lives daily
to make Iraq work. I for one don't want to see them left to the
tender mercies of the various groups directing the suicide bombers.
Ads
  #812  
Old April 9th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
di
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 847
Default promoting "smart growth"


"Baxter" wrote in message
...
-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------


"di" wrote in message
...

"Baxter" wrote in message
...
"di" wrote in message
...

"Baxter" wrote in message
...
-
.

Why is it we can spend $100 Billion on building Iraq, but not $2
billion
on
our own nation?

Our own nation is not New Orleans,

New Oreans IS part of the United States.

we already sunk millions into that place,
most of the people there are not willing to even help themselves.

Most of the people there CANNOT help themselves - the System has made

sure
of that -- and Continues to make sure of that.


This is a good example of the liberal mentality, after all these years

they
still think they can pick up a turd by the clean end. Any person or

group
can help inprove their own status, it takes a little ambition, a little
patience, and a lot of work, 3 things that are missing in places like New
Orleans. The "system" you are referring to is the very system you are
promoting. You think the solution to any problem is to throw more money

at
it, especially someone else's money.


What's "liberal" about taking care of your own people instead of throwing
away our tax money on Iraqi's who hate us?



Because we've already spent millions down there, it was mostly all
squandered to waste and corruption with very little noticeable results.


  #813  
Old April 9th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Amy Blankenship
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 888
Default promoting "smart growth"


"Baxter" wrote in message
...
-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------


"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message
news[email protected]

"Baxter" wrote in message
...
"di" wrote in message
...

"Baxter" wrote in message
...
-
.

Why is it we can spend $100 Billion on building Iraq, but not $2
billion
on
our own nation?

Our own nation is not New Orleans,

New Oreans IS part of the United States.

we already sunk millions into that place,
most of the people there are not willing to even help themselves.

Most of the people there CANNOT help themselves - the System has made

sure
of that -- and Continues to make sure of that.


So you're saying that the democratic process that would have allowed them

to
elect a more helpful mayor was rigged?

Do stay on track - the issue is whether we spend hundreds of billions of
dollars on Iraqi's or whether we spend a tenth of that on our own people.

(and yes, there are reports that elections are not particularly fair in
LA.)


Then why did you bring up your feeling that the people of Louisiana are
somehow downtrodden in a way that Mississippians aren't? What does the
amount of money we are spending in Iraq have to do with urban planning, when
you get down to it?


  #814  
Old April 9th 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Brent P
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 622
Default Occidental CEO got more than $400 million in 2006

In article , Bill wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:
Occidental CEO got more than $400 million in 2006


That just proves that there is a huge amount of corruption in both the
industry as well as the presidency (Bush == big oil puppet).


FYI: Occidental is the pet oil company of the Gore family.

Not that shrub doesn't have pet oil companies, but Occidental isn't his.
While vice president Al Gore gave Occidental a deal that made teapot dome
look small.


  #815  
Old April 9th 07, 08:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Bill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,680
Default Occidental CEO got more than $400 million in 2006

Fred G. Mackey wrote:
Bill wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:

Talking about a Darwinian world, here's one of the oil kings making a
gargantuan sum of money...

Occidental CEO got more than $400 million in 2006

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Occidental Petroleum Corp.'s chairman and chief
executive took in more than $400 million in compensation last year,
the company said in a filing, one of the biggest single-year payouts
in U.S. corporate history.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/070407/occid..._pay.html?.v=8

But, see, bicycles only make peanuts for them.

That just proves that there is a huge amount of corruption in both the
industry as well as the presidency (Bush == big oil puppet). For gas
to be headed towards the $4/gallon mark and the CEO's and oil
shareholders making obscene profits is just not right. They should be
hurting along with the rest of the country,


Why?

The rest of the country really isn't hurting that much - sure we're
spending more on gas, but demand hasn't gone down significantly, nor are
people starving to put gas in their cars.


This only shows the stupidity of some (most?) Americans. I have 2 little
4 bangers and just to drive the 11 mile round trip to see my friend is
over a dollar. I can ride a bike there but sometimes I am carrying
computer equipment. It is a LITTLE car I drive and all the stuff fits.
So why are these people driving these lame ass SUV's?

not getting richer at the expense of everyone else in the country.


Would you prefer a gov't owned oil industry - like Mexico or Venezuela
(and I presume many middle eastern countries) have?


If you mean a Bush owned oil industry, then Hell no! I know the CEOs
take an unfair share of the money, but the government would set up so
many study committees that it would take more money than the CEOs cost.


Of course, you don't see Bush even thinking about an SUV gas guzzler
tax either.


Why should he?


Because after 8 years he should be remembered for getting at least one
thing right.

Bill Baka

Again.
  #816  
Old April 9th 07, 10:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Dave Head
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 86
Default Occidental CEO got more than $400 million in 2006

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 07:09:23 GMT, Bill wrote:

So why are these people driving these lame ass SUV's?


Again.


People drive lame-ass SUV's because they occasionally need one and only have
money enough for 1 vehicle. They occasionally need one because:

1) It snows like hell at least a few times a year, they have to drive it, and
anything else they might buy has a higher chance of getting stuck in the snow.

2) They have more than 2 kids, and at least 2 of them still require child
safety seats. Put 2 child safety seats in the back seat, and you aren't
putting anything else there. They need a 3rd row of seats.

3) They need a vehicle that will haul stuff out into the suburbs, stuff from
Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

4) They want to pull a big boat or some other trailer for recreation, and the
SUV is about the only thing other than a truck that is up to the job. Some
people actually buy the trucks for this, but other people don't like that
either.

5) What they really need is a large station wagon, but Federal laws have made
it all but impossible to build those, so the next best thing is an SUV.

  #817  
Old April 9th 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
di
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 847
Default Occidental CEO got more than $400 million in 2006


"Dave Head" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 07:09:23 GMT, Bill wrote:

So why are these people driving these lame ass SUV's?


Again.


People drive lame-ass SUV's because they occasionally need one and only
have
money enough for 1 vehicle. They occasionally need one because:

1) It snows like hell at least a few times a year, they have to drive it,
and
anything else they might buy has a higher chance of getting stuck in the
snow.

2) They have more than 2 kids, and at least 2 of them still require child
safety seats. Put 2 child safety seats in the back seat, and you aren't
putting anything else there. They need a 3rd row of seats.

3) They need a vehicle that will haul stuff out into the suburbs, stuff
from
Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

4) They want to pull a big boat or some other trailer for recreation, and
the
SUV is about the only thing other than a truck that is up to the job.
Some
people actually buy the trucks for this, but other people don't like that
either.

5) What they really need is a large station wagon, but Federal laws have
made
it all but impossible to build those, so the next best thing is an SUV.


Number 6, they might just want one.


  #818  
Old April 9th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Dave Head
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 86
Default Occidental CEO got more than $400 million in 2006

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 06:49:05 -0500, "di" wrote:


"Dave Head" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 07:09:23 GMT, Bill wrote:

So why are these people driving these lame ass SUV's?


Again.


People drive lame-ass SUV's because they occasionally need one and only
have
money enough for 1 vehicle. They occasionally need one because:

1) It snows like hell at least a few times a year, they have to drive it,
and
anything else they might buy has a higher chance of getting stuck in the
snow.

2) They have more than 2 kids, and at least 2 of them still require child
safety seats. Put 2 child safety seats in the back seat, and you aren't
putting anything else there. They need a 3rd row of seats.

3) They need a vehicle that will haul stuff out into the suburbs, stuff
from
Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

4) They want to pull a big boat or some other trailer for recreation, and
the
SUV is about the only thing other than a truck that is up to the job.
Some
people actually buy the trucks for this, but other people don't like that
either.

5) What they really need is a large station wagon, but Federal laws have
made
it all but impossible to build those, so the next best thing is an SUV.


Number 6, they might just want one.

There is that, too.
  #819  
Old April 9th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,851
Default Bush could used those taxes for

On Apr 8, 6:40 pm, "Fred G. Mackey" wrote:
Bill wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:


Talking about a Darwinian world, here's one of the oil kings making a
gargantuan sum of money...


Occidental CEO got more than $400 million in 2006


CHICAGO (Reuters) - Occidental Petroleum Corp.'s chairman and chief
executive took in more than $400 million in compensation last year,
the company said in a filing, one of the biggest single-year payouts
in U.S. corporate history.


http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/070407/occid..._pay.html?.v=8


But, see, bicycles only make peanuts for them.


That just proves that there is a huge amount of corruption in both the
industry as well as the presidency (Bush == big oil puppet). For gas to
be headed towards the $4/gallon mark and the CEO's and oil shareholders
making obscene profits is just not right. They should be hurting along
with the rest of the country,


Why?

The rest of the country really isn't hurting that much - sure we're
spending more on gas, but demand hasn't gone down significantly, nor are
people starving to put gas in their cars.



Maybe the filthy rich and upper middle class aren't hurting that much,
but those at the botom are...

Cost of war filtering down to states, cities
By STEVEN K. PAULSON Associated Press Writer
DENVER (AP) - The cost of the Iraq war is filtering down to state and
local budgets, forcing cuts in transportation funding, Medicaid,
education and other federally subsidized programs, according to
analysts and lawmakers.

Just how big that impact has been is unclear. What state lawmakers do
say is that the $456 billion already spent or appropriated for the war
could have gone a long way toward helping them balance their own
budgets.

In Colorado, lawmakers expect to lose about $200 million in federal
funding for the next fiscal year, forcing the state to cut back on
programs that receive federal money.

"These are funds that we aren't going to receive. Low Energy
Assistance Program, $9.8 million, gone. Head Start, $3.7 million,
gone. Child Care and Development Block Grant, $1.1 million. Community
Development Block Grant, $13.5 million. Special Ed, $8.8 million,"
House Majority Leader Alice Madden, D-Boulder, said during a debate
Thursday over a state resolution opposing the escalation of the war in
Iraq.

http://www.helenair.com/articles/200...na/000cost.txt


not getting richer at the expense of
everyone else in the country.


Would you prefer a gov't owned oil industry - like Mexico or Venezuela
(and I presume many middle eastern countries) have?


When the goverment is owned by Big Oil, what's the diff?

Of course, you don't see Bush even thinking about an SUV gas guzzler tax
either.


Why should he?


Because then he could used those taxes for a) pay for the war and
b)subsidize alternative transportation.

The flag waving SUVs shows what classes are for the war: those at the
top of the food chain.

  #820  
Old April 9th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,851
Default Supersized Unnecessary Vehicles

On Apr 9, 5:41 am, Dave Head wrote:
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 07:09:23 GMT, Bill wrote:
So why are these people driving these lame ass SUV's?
Again.



Many many excuses here...

People drive lame-ass SUV's because they occasionally need one and only have
money enough for 1 vehicle. They occasionally need one because:


Or they could buy three Ford Focus for the price of one SUV.

1) It snows like hell at least a few times a year, they have to drive it, and
anything else they might buy has a higher chance of getting stuck in the snow.


First of all, we are aiming at SUPERSIZED SUVs here and that got
nothing to do with the capacity of a 4x4 to handle snow. Supersized
Unnecessary Vehicles are deadly to other people and, pollute
unncessarily and are often driven by undertrained drivers while
chatting on the phone.

2) They have more than 2 kids, and at least 2 of them still require child
safety seats. Put 2 child safety seats in the back seat, and you aren't
putting anything else there. They need a 3rd row of seats.


OK, minivans are better at that and have lower bumpers as well as
better aerodynamics.


3) They need a vehicle that will haul stuff out into the suburbs, stuff from
Home Depot, Lowes, etc.


And why don't you rent U-Haul?

4) They want to pull a big boat or some other trailer for recreation, and the
SUV is about the only thing other than a truck that is up to the job. Some
people actually buy the trucks for this, but other people don't like that
either.


Exactly, two wrongs don't make a right.


5) What they really need is a large station wagon, but Federal laws have made
it all but impossible to build those, so the next best thing is an SUV.


Federal laws made it easy for the Big Three to compete in the only
area they could against the smarter, more efficient Japanese and
European cars: GET BIGGER. Big is Good, Big is Beautiful, and Big
feeds the Big Three the best.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ride Report ( Long) - Children's Cancer Institute Bike Ride - Townsville to Cairns HughMann Australia 2 August 7th 05 04:08 AM
Early-bird bike ride helps Sierra Club ("Morning Glory" ride) Garrison Hilliard General 5 July 8th 05 05:44 PM
Bike Ride Pictures: Club ride to Half Moon Bay, CA, June 2005 Bill Bushnell Rides 0 June 28th 05 07:05 AM
Bike Ride Pictures: Sequoia Century Worker's Ride (200k, w/variations), June 2005 Bill Bushnell Rides 0 June 19th 05 03:31 PM
[Texas] Bridgewood Farms "Ride From the Heart" Charity Bike Ride Greg Bretting Rides 0 January 15th 04 05:38 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.