Ride an SUB not an SUV

Old April 9th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default Occidental CEO got more than $400 million in 2006

On Apr 9, 7:49 am, "di" wrote:

5) What they really need is a large station wagon, but Federal laws have
made
it all but impossible to build those, so the next best thing is an SUV.

Number 6, they might just want one.-

Lions and monkeys don't want the same. Lions dream of big and pompous.
Monkeys are more into practical, fun things like bikes, motorcycles
and EVs. And they are beautiful, just not pompous.

The only areawhere you are #1 is in ribbons...

http://blogorelli.typepad.com/photos...ed/ribbons.gif

Old April 9th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default Don't confuse Supersized Unnecessary Vehicles with 4x4s

On Apr 9, 5:41 am, Dave Head wrote:
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 07:09:23 GMT, Bill wrote:
So why are these people driving these lame ass SUV's?
Again.

People drive lame-ass SUV's because they occasionally need one and only have
money enough for 1 vehicle. They occasionally need one because:

1) It snows like hell at least a few times a year, they have to drive it, and
anything else they might buy has a higher chance of getting stuck in the snow.

Don't confuse Supersized Unnecessary Vehicles with 4x4s. I quote
here...

There is often confusion as to the difference between 4X4s and SUVs.
This leads to criticisms of 4X4 vehicles in the media that should
actually be directed at SUVs...

For example...

Psychology
SUV safety concerns are compounded by a perception among some
consumers that SUVs are safer for their drivers than standard cars.
According to G. C. Rapaille, a psychological consultant to automakers
(as cited in Gladwell, 2004), many consumers feel safer in SUVs simply
because their ride height makes "[their passengers] higher and
dominate and look down (sic). That you can look down [on other people]
is psychologically a very powerful notion."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wheel_drive

So SUVs are the favorite vehicle of the wannabe Napoleons that want to
feel "superior," not that of the real adventurous people like these...

http://www.outback4x4challenge.com/images/20051lg.jpg

Old April 10th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Curtis L. Russell

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 09:41:16 GMT, Dave Head wrote:

People drive lame-ass SUV's because they occasionally need one and only have
money enough for 1 vehicle. They occasionally need one because:

1) It snows like hell at least a few times a year, they have to drive it, and
anything else they might buy has a higher chance of getting stuck in the snow.

That would explain why the most common vehicle stuck in the middle of
the snow bank is a SUV. We didn't have SUVs back in the 1960s and got
to work just fine in Michigan.

2) They have more than 2 kids, and at least 2 of them still require child
safety seats. Put 2 child safety seats in the back seat, and you aren't
putting anything else there. They need a 3rd row of seats.

Well, my mid-sized car would take two child seats in the back and have
room for another kid. It could carry two adults and four kids, two in
child seats.

3) They need a vehicle that will haul stuff out into the suburbs, stuff from
Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

If it doesn't have a 4 foot by 8 foot bed, it is just like any other
vehicle. Pick up drivers are probably laughing their asses off over
this one.

4) They want to pull a big boat or some other trailer for recreation, and the
SUV is about the only thing other than a truck that is up to the job. Some
people actually buy the trucks for this, but other people don't like that
either.

Interestingly, most SUVs can barely carry their own weight, and that
includes most of the ones you see on the road. You have to pick your
SUV or pickup carefully to get one that can carry a payload.

5) What they really need is a large station wagon, but Federal laws have made
it all but impossible to build those, so the next best thing is an SUV.

Bull - the market is what killed the station wagon, not safety
regulations. If a modern station wagon was built (arguably a Pacifica
is one), it could easily be safer than a SUV - way safer.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old April 10th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Fred G. Mackey

Dave Head wrote:
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 07:09:23 GMT, Bill wrote:

So why are these people driving these lame ass SUV's?

Again.

People drive lame-ass SUV's because they occasionally need one and only have
money enough for 1 vehicle. They occasionally need one because:

That's the reason some people drive them. Others drive them for no good
reason other than we have a thing called freedom in the US.

1) It snows like hell at least a few times a year, they have to drive it, and
anything else they might buy has a higher chance of getting stuck in the snow.

I had a good laugh at a few of these people last winter as I drove by
them in my coupe while they were either stuck - either because they
couldn't manage to control their "lame ass SUV" or because they thought
their SUV was tough enough to make it through deep snow that hadn't yet
been plowed and found out the hard way how "lame ass" their SUV really is.

Old April 10th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
di

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...

Lions and monkeys don't want the same. Lions dream of big and pompous.
Monkeys are more into practical, fun things like bikes, motorcycles
and EVs. And they are beautiful, just not pompous.

The only areawhere you are #1 is in ribbons...

http://blogorelli.typepad.com/photos...ed/ribbons.gif

This doesn't make any sense at all to me, I guess you need to explain it.
But then again, not much you ever say makes much sense.

Old April 10th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tom Keats

In article ,
Curtis L. Russell writes:

1) It snows like hell at least a few times a year, they have to drive it, and
anything else they might buy has a higher chance of getting stuck in the snow.

That would explain why the most common vehicle stuck in the middle of
the snow bank is a SUV. We didn't have SUVs back in the 1960s and got
to work just fine in Michigan.

I wonder if there's a correlation between the upsurge of
popularity of SUVs, and the release of the film: Dante's Peak.

The SUV that starred in that flick could survive anything
Hollywood threw at it.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old April 10th 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Dave Head

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 17:35:26 -0700, "Fred G. Mackey" wrote:

I had a good laugh at a few of these people last winter as I drove by
them in my coupe while they were either stuck - either because they
couldn't manage to control their "lame ass SUV" or because they thought
their SUV was tough enough to make it through deep snow that hadn't yet
been plowed and found out the hard way how "lame ass" their SUV really is.

Next big snow, U bring your coupe, I'll bring my Jeep Cherokee with the all
terrain tires, and we'll see who gets stuck.

DPH
Old April 10th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article ,
Curtis L. Russell wrote:

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 09:41:16 GMT, Dave Head wrote:

People drive lame-ass SUV's because they occasionally need one and
only have money enough for 1 vehicle. They occasionally need one
because:

1) It snows like hell at least a few times a year, they have to
drive it, and anything else they might buy has a higher chance of
getting stuck in the snow.

That would explain why the most common vehicle stuck in the middle of
the snow bank is a SUV. We didn't have SUVs back in the 1960s and got
to work just fine in Michigan.

ROFL! I had this conversation earlier this year, when an SUV-driving,
rabid modern Republican began bitching about gas prices and declaring
that the government had better do something to bring the price down.
(Yup. Irony abounded). She gave most of the arguments described here.
I drove to work in a blizzard- twice as far as she did- in my 16 year
old Volvo 240. Didn't have the slightest problem. In fact I've not had
any more trouble with the Volvo in Minnesota snow than I did with my old
Bronco II (although the BII *did* drive through unplowed streets after a
28" snowfall without any trouble, but that kind of thing is really rare).

snip

5) What they really need is a large station wagon, but Federal laws
have made it all but impossible to build those, so the next best
thing is an SUV.

Bull - the market is what killed the station wagon, not safety
regulations. If a modern station wagon was built (arguably a Pacifica
is one), it could easily be safer than a SUV - way safer.

An SUV *is* a station wagon. Don't tell anyone.

BTW speaking of modern station wagons:

http://www.volvocars.us/models/v50/

http://www.volvocars.us/models/v70/

http://www.volvocars.us/models/xc70/
Old April 10th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

wrote:

I had a good laugh at a few of these people last winter as I drove
by them in my coupe while they were either stuck - either because
they couldn't manage to control their "lame ass SUV" or because they
thought their SUV was tough enough to make it through deep snow that
hadn't yet been plowed and found out the hard way how "lame ass"
their SUV really is.

Next big snow, U bring your coupe, I'll bring my Jeep Cherokee with
the all terrain tires, and we'll see who gets stuck.

You just identified one of the key things: tires. Most any car will
deal with snow just fine unless it's riding on unsuitable tires.
Old April 10th 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Dave Head

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 22:31:55 -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:

wrote:

I had a good laugh at a few of these people last winter as I drove
by them in my coupe while they were either stuck - either because
they couldn't manage to control their "lame ass SUV" or because they
thought their SUV was tough enough to make it through deep snow that
hadn't yet been plowed and found out the hard way how "lame ass"
their SUV really is.

Next big snow, U bring your coupe, I'll bring my Jeep Cherokee with
the all terrain tires, and we'll see who gets stuck.

You just identified one of the key things: tires. Most any car will
deal with snow just fine unless it's riding on unsuitable tires.

And its the main reason you can't do what the anti-SUV'ers suggest, which is to
rent one when you need one. The rentals all have smooth tires, and you then
get stuck anyway, 4WD or not.

DPH