For Tosspot Spazzy Hands

Old February 10th 12, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kimble[_4_]

Default For Tosspot Spazzy Hands

On 06/02/12 04:58, thirty-six wrote:
Arn't two brake cables too hard for one hand (an I dreaded typing
every letter)?

The dual-cable setup on my partner's trike doesn't require noticeably
more force to operate than the single brake one on my two-wheeled
recumbent, though I must admit I haven't tried to measure it - she has
three normal fingers on her right hand, which is more than enough
strength-wise (I often brake using just my little finger, when keeping
my hand ready to change gear). Both machines are fitted with Avid BB7
disc brakes, with a 4-finger mountain-bike-style lever mounted pointing
upwards on a vertical under-seat steering bar, so the two systems have
most other factors in common for a good comparison.

The main difference in feel between the two systems (when the BB7s are
adjusted to a similar standard) is that the trike's braking is less
grabby, presumably due to the unavoidable minor difference in biting
point of the two brakes. This is, if anything, desirable - extremely
grabby brakes being something of an acquired taste, and ICE trikes not
being fussy about brake-steer. There's no shortage of braking power on
the trike - a pair of BB7s on the front of a low recumbent makes for
some serious stopping ability, however you operate them!

I suspect that if you like the braking to be really sharp (eg, if you've
got good control through a limited range of hand movement, or just a
general preference) then hydraulics would allow for more precise balancing.

Of course, brakes do vary - rim brakes in wet conditions can require
more serious amounts of force on the lever, though careful choice of pad
compound may mitigate that. If it's a problem, discs might be a good
option.

Kim.

Hands gagtape Unicycling 13 August 9th 07 12:00 AM
Look Ma! No hands! Paul Weaver UK 33 August 4th 06 05:29 PM
hands? habbywall Unicycling 12 July 25th 05 05:34 AM
Hands up! BruceA Australia 2 July 7th 05 08:27 AM
[OT] Filtering uk.rec.drivel and uk.tosspot Richard UK 4 June 8th 05 11:00 PM