new to this

Old July 27th 08, 11:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hobo_chuck

Default new to this

If you don't have metal pedals and you won't be doing anything crazy I
don't see why you would need anything other than some good
clothing....Usually a T-shirt, jeans, and badly worn shoes.

--
hobo_chuck
Old July 27th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
einrad101

the most important thing for a beginner in my opinion is wrist guards,
and welcome to the unique world of unicycling!!

--
einrad101

People who pass me tell me that I am crazy.....
I just tell them that I am a uniatic
Old July 28th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Welcome

IMO the best place to learn is a long railing, somewhere between waist
and cheat height, while siting on the uni. If you can find one on a
wood deck that's a plus. A wall can work, but not as well as a railing
IMO.

For a learner, I'd say gloves (to avoid splinters and nicking your
hands on metal fences), and wrist guards are required. Also shin
guards if you have metal pedals.

What kind of riding do you think you want to get into, and what uni do
you have now?

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old July 28th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tulsa

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I appreciate it.

As for what kind of riding I want to get into, I just don't know yet.
Once I learn to ride, I'll start thinking of how I want to branch out.

I bought my uni used and it's a 20 incher made by Gravity Industrial
Designs Group. Don't know if that's a good brand or not.

--
Tulsa
Old July 28th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GaUniRider

WELCOME! I am 42 and brand new to the sport. I have skinned knees,
elbows, beat up ankles, sore muscles and i'm loving it. I've had an
uncontrollable smile on my face for almost a week! I'm making slow
progress and I've figured out that all the helpful tips and hints are
very good, but when it all comes down to it, practice and patience are
the real key. I feel like a big kid again.

--
GaUniRider