Advice on best lock sought

Old March 11th 05, 12:11 PM
Rudi Lutz

Default Advice on best lock sought

Hi!
I am sure this must have been discussed before, but could not find the
previous discussion. I am about to get a new custom-built Roberts Audax
bike, and this is quite an investment for me. I therefore wish to keep it
safe. Which lock do other people think offers the most security Any advice
will be much appreciated. I was considering one of the Kryptonite New York
chains, but they are quite heavy (8lbs for what looks like the strongest).
If this really is the best I could go for then I will do it, but I wondered
if there is some lighter alternative that I haven't heard of.

Regards,
Rudi

Old March 11th 05, 12:41 PM
John Hearns

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:11:00 +0000, Rudi Lutz wrote:

Hi!
I am sure this must have been discussed before, but could not find the
previous discussion. I am about to get a new custom-built Roberts Audax
bike,

Oooh nice.
Those big chains are good for use at home, or leave one permanently
at Uni for your bike.

Cycling Plus did a big lock test a few months ago.
The Magnum U-lock came out well in the tests. I bought one.
They are square in cross section, with a yellow plastic coating.
They are cheap - mine was less that 25 quid.
They do not have a 'sold secure' rating though.

I would go to a Local Bike Shop and ask about a Sold Secure rated
U-Lock.
Don't take recommendations from us!

Or, and I hate to say this, just don't leave the bike unattended.
Can you take a hack bike to Uni? Defeats the purpose of a lovely
new bike, and I know we should be able to leave our property locked
with the smallest of locks without scum taking them.
Old March 11th 05, 12:46 PM
Treefrog

"Rudi Lutz" wrote in message
Hi!
I am sure this must have been discussed before, but could not find the
previous discussion. I am about to get a new custom-built Roberts Audax
bike, and this is quite an investment for me. I therefore wish to keep it
safe. Which lock do other people think offers the most security Any

advice
will be much appreciated. I was considering one of the Kryptonite New York
chains, but they are quite heavy (8lbs for what looks like the strongest).
If this really is the best I could go for then I will do it, but I

wondered
if there is some lighter alternative that I haven't heard of.

Regards,
Rudi

Locks don't work.
They don't keep your QR wheels on the bike, or Dura Ace groupset, for the
thief with an allen key.
The best security with a bike is to never leave it anywhere. Make sure it is
with you or in a trusted room/building.

It's a sad truth these days but, if you rely on a lock you WILL eventually
loose your bike.

Old March 11th 05, 12:55 PM
Rudi Lutz

"John Hearns" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks for the advice. Actually, I can (and do) keep my bike in my office
when at work. Unfortunately where I live is rather too small to have 2
bikes, so the option of using a hack bike is not really on. In any case I
also want to use it for touring (lightish) as well as trips to shops etc so
issue of keeping it safe still exists. I will have a look at the Cycling
Plus review. I don't mind paying a bit more (within reason!) for a decent
lock.

Rudi

Old March 11th 05, 12:58 PM
Rudi Lutz

"Treefrog" wrote in message
"Rudi Lutz" wrote in message
[...]

I mostly do follow this advice, but there are times when it will be
necessary to leave it for at least short periods. So its more a question of
how to minimise the risks during those times.

Rudi

Old March 11th 05, 01:27 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , John Hearns
') wrote:

Or, and I hate to say this, just don't leave the bike unattended.

That's the only kind of lock I ever use with either of my favourite
bikes. Whenever they're out of the house, they never go out of my
sight. There's no point spending lots of money on a light bike and then
carrying a heavy lock.

Can you carry it into your room at Uni, or is that completely
impossible?

;; All in all you're just another hick in the mall
-- Drink C'lloid

Old March 11th 05, 03:05 PM
Mark Tranchant

Simon Brooke wrote:

Can you carry it into your room at Uni, or is that completely
impossible?

Why is everyone convinced Rudi is at university?

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/
Old March 11th 05, 03:15 PM
Rudi Lutz

Probably because my mailer here at work automatically fills in my
"organisation" field in the mail header as "University of Sussex". Also my
email address is @sussex.ac.uk which is University of Sussex.

Rudi

Old March 11th 05, 04:31 PM
Rudi Lutz

Simon Brooke wrote:

Can you carry it into your room at Uni, or is that completely
impossible?

Why is everyone convinced Rudi is at university?

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/

Ooops! Sorry for top posting in my previous mail.

Rudi

Old March 11th 05, 05:00 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

I suggest you use two locks, a reasonable D lock, and a long cable to
secure the other wheel, the saddle and a fixture. Techniques which break
one kind of lock sometime foil another.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.