Cyclist killer sentence

Old March 18th 06, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Cyclist killer sentence

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=ed ponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED17%20Mar%202006% 2018%3A16%3A34%3A063

or

http://tinyurl.com/pvnbu

about the cyclist who was knocked off his bike and was left for dead in
Fakenham

includes

"Motorist Nicholas Bond, 23, had been drinking with a friend last October
before he knocked children's carer David Walder, 26, off his bike in
Fakenham causing him fatal injuries.

Norwich Crown Court heard that Bond later admitted he had been playing with
his CD player moments before the collision and had driven away afterwards,
despite his windscreen being smashed.

He returned to the scene when his friend told him he thought he had hit a
cyclist and police found he was two-and-a-half times over the legal drink-
drive limit."

"His parents only realised David had been in an accident when they saw a
photograph of his bike in the EDP and did not see their son before his life
support machine at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge was switched off,
four days after the accident.

The court heard Bond had four previous speeding offences, between May 2002
and December 2003."

"Mrs Tucker said Mr Walder had a red reflector on the back of his bike and
there was street lighting."

"He said Bond should have credit for owning up at the first opportunity"

helen s

--

~~
you may need to remove dependence

Old March 18th 06, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

So he came back afterwards, and that makes it alright. Not.
Old March 18th 06, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"John Hearns" wrote in message
news
So he came back afterwards, and that makes it alright. Not.

Hey, it's only a cyclist :-(

Stinks, doesn't it.

Cheers, helen s

Old March 18th 06, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wafflycat wrote:
http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=ed ponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED17%20Mar%202006% 2018%3A16%3A34%3A063

or

http://tinyurl.com/pvnbu

about the cyclist who was knocked off his bike and was left for dead in
Fakenham

includes
snip
"Mrs Tucker said Mr Walder had a red reflector on the back of his bike
and there was street lighting."

Does that imply the cyclist was unlit?
Old March 18th 06, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
wafflycat wrote:

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=ed ponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED17%20Mar%202006% 2018%3A16%3A34%3A063

or

http://tinyurl.com/pvnbu

about the cyclist who was knocked off his bike and was left for dead
in Fakenham

includes
snip
"Mrs Tucker said Mr Walder had a red reflector on the back of his bike
and there was street lighting."

Does that imply the cyclist was unlit?

I thought that. Would be hard to avoid an unlit cyclist while two and a
half times over the limit.
Old March 18th 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

Does that imply the cyclist was unlit?

Would seem to but I doubt it made a difference since he a) wasn't
looking anyway but fiddling with his CDs b) he was drunk and c) he
didn't know what had hit his windscreen or apparently didn't even notice
a smashed windscreen

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old March 18th 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tosspot wrote:
I thought that. Would be hard to avoid an unlit cyclist while two and a
half times over the limit.

It doesn't matter how many lights you have if the motorist that hits you
is too busy playing with his CD player to look where he is going.

The moral of this particular tale has little to do with cycle lighting
and everything to do with drunk-driving. Attempting any blame on the
cyclist is beyond despicable.

d.
Old March 18th 06, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"davek" wrote in message

It doesn't matter how many lights you have if the motorist that hits you
is too busy playing with his CD player to look where he is going.

The moral of this particular tale has little to do with cycle lighting and
everything to do with drunk-driving. Attempting any blame on the cyclist
is beyond despicable.

d.

Indeed. And I'm fairly certain that if the cyclist had of been unlit, it
would have been reported, knowing how the local rag tends to view
cyclists....

Cheers, helen s

Old March 18th 06, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"John Hearns" wrote in message
news
So he came back afterwards, and that makes it alright. Not.

Nothing will "make it alright". A young lad was killed.

However, at least the driver owned up and has faced the system. Many times
the driver has not stopped and has not returned to the scene.

As well as the three and a half year jail sentence, he was given a six-year
driving ban and ordered to take an extended driving test. He'll have plenty
of time to reflect on his actions.

Old March 18th 06, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

in message , elyob
') wrote:

"John Hearns" wrote in message
news
So he came back afterwards, and that makes it alright. Not.

Nothing will "make it alright". A young lad was killed.

However, at least the driver owned up and has faced the system. Many
times the driver has not stopped and has not returned to the scene.

As well as the three and a half year jail sentence, he was given a
six-year driving ban and ordered to take an extended driving test.
He'll have plenty of time to reflect on his actions.

You have to think about what prison is for. Either we send people to
prison for retribution - which, it seems to me, achieves nothing - or
for remediation - in which case, surely, two years (which is what he's
likely to serve) ought to be enough to teach anyone how to behave
responsibly - or because we have absolutely no confidence in our ability
to ever make them into safe members of society - in which case a death
sentence would be more humane.

The British criminal justice system does still seem to apply a higher
penalty to property crimes than to killing, and that /is/ shocking; but
frankly I cannot see what would be achieved by locking this particular
idiot up for eight years rather than two.

;; lovely alternative to rice.