Z's Crash

Old July 7th 05, 01:33 AM
Jack Hollis

Default Z's Crash

I really enjoyed DZ's explanations of why he crashed, which was that
he didn't know why he crashed. It didn't look like he sustained a
head injury, so you can't blame it on retrograde amnesia. My guess is
that he just to embarrassed to admit that he did something really
dumb.

Perhaps Phil (or was it Paul) was right when he said that Z hit his
elbow with his knee and jerked the handle bars around. If that's what
happened, I'd probably wouldn't admit it either.

Either that, or he's covering for someone else.
Old July 7th 05, 01:56 AM
Cranky

Jack Hollis wrote:
I really enjoyed DZ's explanations of why he crashed, which was that
he didn't know why he crashed. It didn't look like he sustained a
head injury, so you can't blame it on retrograde amnesia. My guess is
that he just to embarrassed to admit that he did something really
dumb.

Perhaps Phil (or was it Paul) was right when he said that Z hit his
elbow with his knee and jerked the handle bars around. If that's what
happened, I'd probably wouldn't admit it either.

Either that, or he's covering for someone else.

Watching the video full screen at slow speed you can see Z's right
profile and something white/silverish in the pedal area appears to come
off, at the least looks like he popped out of the pedal. Looks like an
overlap, a cleat pop, or an elbow bump works too. Expert forensics of
low res video at 1600px at slow speed.... (worth it for the voiceover
alone )
http://v12.velonews.com/tour2005/video/tdf.php?s=4
Old July 7th 05, 02:06 AM
Gary Funck

"Jack Hollis" wrote in message

Perhaps Phil (or was it Paul) was right when he said that Z hit his
elbow with his knee and jerked the handle bars around. If that's what
happened, I'd probably wouldn't admit it either.

Looking at the slo-mo (which is very low res.), it looked like he braked too
hard, and his rear wheel slid out. Those TT wheels are tricky and perhaps
there
was a side wind adding to the instability of the bike. The concrete looked
to be dry
and not slick, and I don't think the policeman was in the way. It didn't
look as if
he was looking over his shoulder before the crash either, but it is really
difficult to
tell.

Old July 7th 05, 06:04 AM
Kyle Legate

Cranky wrote:
Jack Hollis wrote:

[...]

"You are outside of the United States and unfortunately we are unable to
allow you to view these highlight videos."
Old July 7th 05, 07:30 AM
Poul Erik

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 18:06:11 -0700, "Gary Funck"
wrote:

"Jack Hollis" wrote in message
.. .

Perhaps Phil (or was it Paul) was right when he said that Z hit his
elbow with his knee and jerked the handle bars around. If that's what
happened, I'd probably wouldn't admit it either.

Looking at the slo-mo (which is very low res.), it looked like he braked too
hard, and his rear wheel slid out. Those TT wheels are tricky and perhaps
there
was a side wind adding to the instability of the bike. The concrete looked
to be dry
and not slick, and I don't think the policeman was in the way. It didn't
look as if
he was looking over his shoulder before the crash either, but it is really
difficult to
tell.

Danish television show it very slow, and it look like he's changing
gear, and then his foot came down very fast. It could be the chain
didn't catch the front cogwheel.

Poul Erik
Fjern cykel i adresse

--
== __o
Poul Erik Lindaa === _'\ _ E-mail: ldk
Old July 7th 05, 08:01 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

Poul Erik wrote:

Danish television show it very slow, and it look like he's changing
gear, and then his foot came down very fast. It could be the chain
didn't catch the front cogwheel.

Dumbass -

That would still be operator error. Gear changes should be "feathered"
until the chain is engaged.

Old July 7th 05, 08:33 AM
Gary Funck

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote:

That would still be operator error. Gear changes should be "feathered"
until the chain is engaged.

It's difficult to believe that slipping the chain could cause a pro to
tumble,
though I suppose it could've caused the freewheel to seize up if it
got derailed in the rear wheel. I'd think that most experienced cyclists
have had a chain break, a rear axle break, and even have the chain skip
off the freewheel into the spokes without losing control of the bike,
but then again few have been 60+ kpmh at the time.

Old July 7th 05, 10:11 AM
Poul Erik

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 00:33:55 -0700, "Gary Funck"
wrote:

It's difficult to believe that slipping the chain could cause a pro to
tumble,
though I suppose it could've caused the freewheel to seize up if it
got derailed in the rear wheel. I'd think that most experienced cyclists
have had a chain break, a rear axle break, and even have the chain skip
off the freewheel into the spokes without losing control of the bike,
but then again few have been 60+ kpmh at the time.

And a TT-bike dosn't have a normal handlebar.

Poul Erik
Fjern cykel i adresse

--
== __o
Poul Erik Lindaa === _'\ _ E-mail: ldk
Old July 7th 05, 04:19 PM
k.papai

"Danish television show it very slow, and it look like he's changing
gear, and then his foot came down very fast. It could be the chain
didn't catch the front cogwheel."

That makes no sense. He was already in the Big Ring.

His right knee hit his elbow, he was tired, he crashed himself.

-Ken

Betting pool on David Z's next crash ProBullRider Racing 12 July 7th 05 02:23 AM
Shared use crash today Mike Causer UK 1 May 29th 05 11:46 PM
Sunday Times: Death row: Britain's most dangerous road Sufaud UK 45 September 28th 04 09:06 PM
Coker crash J.D. Miller Unicycling 32 November 12th 03 05:49 PM
Lance / Mayo crash chronology, and pedal controversy MrBob Racing 6 July 22nd 03 10:49 PM