Car racks

Old October 27th 09, 07:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Owen

Default Car racks

I have a repco flyer advertising ROLA roof racks, $95. The picture
shows the front fork clipped to the rack via the quick release system

An associate has some Sweedish made racks that cost him $500. He can
carry bikes without taking off the front wheel. Just strap the rims to
the rack.

Any comment on the ROLA ? Being $400 cheaper than the swedish sort, or
getting a tow bar+bike rack, I thought I would give it a try.

TIA

Owen
Old October 27th 09, 10:19 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Hi Owen,

this seems pretty cheap for a ROLA. Is it just the racks, or the racks
plus the bike carrier, or just the bike carrier? The advantage of the
Swedish system is that you don't have to take off the front wheel and
then find somewhere to stash it. I'm pretty sure ROLA also sell a rack
attachment that holds just the front wheel, so you can stash
everything on the rack.

The towbar attachment is an option, but will obviously obstruct rear
vision when in use.

Any system will work, it depends on what you want. ROLA is definitely
a good brand, and at that price, it'd be hard to beat.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Old October 29th 09, 05:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Owen

Thanks Peter, and you were correct, roof racks were a separate item,
(just read what I wanted to read)

Adding that brought the total cost to $260, so for the one or two
times I could have used it, I will keep my money and semi disassemble
the bike to stick in the back of the Barina.

Owen

Old October 29th 09, 09:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Oxygen

Owen wrote:
Thanks Peter, and you were correct, roof racks were a separate item,
(just read what I wanted to read)

Adding that brought the total cost to $260, so for the one or two
times I could have used it, I will keep my money and semi disassemble
the bike to stick in the back of the Barina.

Problem with roof racks for bikes is forgetting about them and the odd low
underpass, or your own garage...

Seen it.

O.

Owen

Old October 29th 09, 10:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
D&M JOHNSTON

Owen

Hiya Owen,
I don't know if this is any good to you or not, but I bought a set of roof
racks which are aero-dynamically shaped like the Rola's but are made in
Australia. Their Brand name is RAK http://www.roof-racks.com.au/

They are pretty much the same price retail as they were when i bought mine
about 5 yrs ago and are fully adjustable for width of your car....I also
have with it, a bike carrier with the front spindle thingo at the front of
it for the forks....yeah unfortunately you need to take off the front wheel.
it has come with a rubber boot for the rear wheel holder but it split on
mine when i tried to put my fat MTB tyre on it.

Now this roof rack is only for cars that have the side gutter above the
doors..not for the newer cars with no noticeable gutter.

It cost me well over $300 when i bought it with the bike attachment but I'm
asking $60....just needs a bit of a wash...i still have the keys
somewhere.....gotta have a looky around.

I'm in the SW Sydney area so if your interested and if you think it could
suit what you want for the price..let me know here.

I had the racks on a Mitsubishi Magna 93 model...but you must have the side
gutters to suit.

If you want to buy a new set..well refer the website i provided...i think
they sell ones for the modern nil gutter cars too.

Hope this helps what your after

Cheers

DJ

Racks is racks, right? Mike Rocket J Squirrel Techniques 46 September 24th 08 02:46 PM
Racks...Racks...Who needs a Rack??? [email protected] Racing 8 May 25th 06 07:23 PM
Car Racks Ed_Zep UK 2 April 25th 06 01:02 AM
Racks Sam Salt UK 17 January 24th 04 06:55 PM
Racks? gravelmuncher Australia 10 November 19th 03 04:40 AM