Wheel size for 9 year old???

Old June 17th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tim Morin

Default Wheel size for 9 year old???

I'm looking to teach a 9 year old boy to uni, and I need some info on
wheel sizes. I have a 20 inch Torker, which I can alter slightly to
accomodate his inseam, but I fear the wheel may be too big for him to
learn on. I also have a Sun 12, but I think he is too heavy for that.

What do you think? Is a 20 inch too big, and is the Sun 12 inch too
weak?

Any ideas would help tremendously. Thanks.

Tim.

--
Tim Morin
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 17th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gagtape

right 20" would be best but if you can get a cheap 16"er to practise on
as they get better move them up =]

--
gagtape

WHAM!
'This is my myspace' (http://www.myspace.com/supernoodlay)
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 17th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mattsmith

Depends on his height. There are 16" wheels out there, but even if he's
quite short I'd still go with the 20". He'll grow into it.

--
mattsmith
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 17th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheel Rider

It depends on the size of the boy. If his legs are long enough, use the
20".

We had a 6-year-old boy who learned to ride on a 20".

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 17th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

Tim-

If the 20" wheel fits, use it. It's much better than the smaller sizes
where the pedals tend to start hitting the ground during turns. A 12"
wheel should be really strong with its big rim and short spokes but his
feet will be almost on the ground even when he pedals straight. The way
I mount those little wheels is to rest one pedal on the ground and step
on it. Then I mount and go from there. That's how close they are to
scraping.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

http://www.usenet.com
Old June 20th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tim Morin

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I will try him on the 20" and see how
it goes. We start lessons next week, so I'll let you know how it works
out.

Ride on.
Tim.

--
Tim Morin
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 20th 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

I started my son on a cheap 16" at age 8; he was average height for his
age. Very quickly--without getting any taller--he outgrew the 16" and
moved to a 20". I suspect your child will too, and would recommend
just bypassing the 16 and going right to the 20. If you can shorten
everything enough that he can get a pedal stroke w/o having to tip toe,
he'll be fine.

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 20th 07, 09:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

Well these come from Oz UDC. So i don't know if these will help.
Sorry if they don't.

BTW i don't know what brands they are. So i apologize in advance. At
least the 2nd and 3rd come with an instruction booklet.
*
12"*
http://tinyurl.com/3b7pcg
*
16"*
http://tinyurl.com/2drnoh
*
20"*
http://tinyurl.com/2z9f8k

--
Hazmat

*1 weird greek cypriot australian destined to be different.*

*The Hazmat Poll*: *Please vote*
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59458
*Hazmats Unicycle Design/Creation competition*.
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60806
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 20th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mornish

definantly the 20

--
mornish

aim:kiloornish
email: mornish AT gmail DOT com

Spencer wrote:
well, at least I'm not drinking my own blood, I only drink other
people's blood...

http://www.usenet.com
Old June 20th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

mornish wrote:
definantly the 20

I think it also depends on his height. But then again, you
could always cut the seatpost to match it.

--
Hazmat

*1 weird greek cypriot australian destined to be different.*

*The Hazmat Poll*: *Please vote*
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59458
*Hazmats Unicycle Design/Creation competition*.
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60806
http://www.usenet.com

wheel size help bedrosianpeter Unicycling 18 July 14th 06 06:15 AM
wheel size J-Jo Unicycling 7 June 21st 06 08:46 PM
size of wheel evenstar981 Unicycling 6 August 22nd 05 05:04 AM
wheel size ??? ellis Techniques 12 July 22nd 05 11:31 PM
Wheel size John Mountain Biking 9 June 22nd 05 11:21 PM