please advise - trainer, lifecycle, etc., for home exercise

Old July 10th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default please advise - trainer, lifecycle, etc., for home exercise

jeffp@SPAM_PESTSTRIP wrote:
Hi, I'm 51, live in NYC and intent on pursuing some sort of bicycle
type exercise on a daily basis. Biking outside is great but it's
hazardous requiring constant stops and starts. It's impossible to
even imagine a full hour bike ride without several dozen "rest
periods" due to traffic, etc. So to me it makes sense to have a
quality indoor setup, at least as an adjunct to outdoor riding. A
friend of mine has a LifeCycle recumbent in his apartment and he loves
it, however it's very expensive and requires a dedicated corner area.
On Cragslist there are used LifeCycles which are obviously more
affordable. As an alternative I'm considering purchasing a high
quality trainer such as the 1-UP USA Trainer. It's more space
efficient, obviously, since my bike's already in the apartment. To me
the salient point is the constant pedaling - it seems that either a
trainer or LifeCycle would provide pretty much the same quality and
degree of exercise.

What are your thoughts on the matter based on experience?

TIA,
Jeff

If you live anywhere near Prospect Park or Central Park you can get
lots of uninterrupted driding done there. Don't underestimate the
social side of cycling/exercise. Maybe "spinning" at a health club
would be a better use of money. That's jst my 2 cents, as somebody who
gets bored after 2 minutes of stationary riding.

Good luck!

Joseph

Stationary Trainer For Exercise Melinda General 8 December 7th 05 05:06 PM
Trainer advice - riding hard enough? Hoffer Techniques 10 November 22nd 05 08:19 PM
Exercise question: Rollers, trainer, or ? Raptor Mountain Biking 8 April 5th 05 01:13 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Bikefest in the Square - Opportunity to be part of LifeCycle Silverfox UK 2 May 21st 04 07:19 PM