Mystery part... Part of Campagnolo chain or installation?

Old January 10th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Artoi

Default Mystery part... Part of Campagnolo chain or installation?

Just replaced the chain with a new Campag Ultra Narrow 5.9mm Veloce
grade chain last night and took it for a ride this morning. After the
ride, while wiping the bike down, I found this tiny polished metallic
ring on the Rt chain stay. It must have held on by static electricity or
a bit of sticky grease.

The tiny metallic ring measures approx 4mm diameter and is made of
polished metal wire of approx 0.35mm in diameter.

Anyone know where it might be from? Could it be part of the chain that
was just installed?

One other thing I noticed is that this chain is a lot quieter, near
silent, compared with the KMC chain that came with the bike. I noted
previously that with the old KMC chain, the Chorus cassette ran pretty
much silent while the Veloce cassette (both new,12-25, 2006 model) was
noisy despite adjustments. Even though with a bit of run-in, the Veloce
cassette got to be a bit quieter, but it was still not the same as the
Chorus. Now with the new Campag Veloce chain, it's equal with that
Chorus. Interesting bit of anecdote.
Old January 10th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Artoi wrote:
Just replaced the chain with a new Campag Ultra Narrow 5.9mm Veloce
grade chain last night and took it for a ride this morning. After the
ride, while wiping the bike down, I found this tiny polished metallic
ring on the Rt chain stay. It must have held on by static electricity or
a bit of sticky grease.

The tiny metallic ring measures approx 4mm diameter and is made of
polished metal wire of approx 0.35mm in diameter.

Anyone know where it might be from? Could it be part of the chain that
was just installed?

No. You worry to much...

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old January 11th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:40:26 +0100, Lou Holtman
wrote:

Artoi wrote:
Just replaced the chain with a new Campag Ultra Narrow 5.9mm Veloce
grade chain last night and took it for a ride this morning. After the
ride, while wiping the bike down, I found this tiny polished metallic
ring on the Rt chain stay. It must have held on by static electricity or
a bit of sticky grease.

The tiny metallic ring measures approx 4mm diameter and is made of
polished metal wire of approx 0.35mm in diameter.

Anyone know where it might be from? Could it be part of the chain that
was just installed?

No. You worry too much...

Lou

Dear Lou,

Wouldn't you begin to worry if you found bits of metal stuck to your
chainstays by static electricity after a ride?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Old January 11th 07, 10:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Artoi

In article ,
Lou Holtman wrote:

Artoi wrote:
Just replaced the chain with a new Campag Ultra Narrow 5.9mm Veloce
grade chain last night and took it for a ride this morning. After the
ride, while wiping the bike down, I found this tiny polished metallic
ring on the Rt chain stay. It must have held on by static electricity or
a bit of sticky grease.

The tiny metallic ring measures approx 4mm diameter and is made of
polished metal wire of approx 0.35mm in diameter.

Anyone know where it might be from? Could it be part of the chain that
was just installed?

No. You worry to much...

Maybe, but I still can't explain where that component came from. It's
too delicate and clean to have come from the road. And when I saw it, it
was resting perfectly at the top of the chainstay towards the very rear.

It's just really bizarre!
Old January 11th 07, 11:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

On 2007-01-11, Artoi wrote:
In article ,
Lou Holtman wrote:

Artoi wrote:
Just replaced the chain with a new Campag Ultra Narrow 5.9mm Veloce
grade chain last night and took it for a ride this morning. After the
ride, while wiping the bike down, I found this tiny polished metallic
ring on the Rt chain stay. It must have held on by static electricity or
a bit of sticky grease.

The tiny metallic ring measures approx 4mm diameter and is made of
polished metal wire of approx 0.35mm in diameter.

Anyone know where it might be from? Could it be part of the chain that
was just installed?

No. You worry to much...

Maybe, but I still can't explain where that component came from. It's
too delicate and clean to have come from the road. And when I saw it, it
was resting perfectly at the top of the chainstay towards the very rear.

You do get a little circlip around the end of the spindle that the QR
lever is on. Not the spindle through the axle, but the eccentric shaft
thing that the lever itself rotates on as you open and close it.

The shaft sticks out the other end from the handle and may be retained
with a circlip at that point. I don't think the one on my bike is a
complete ring like you describe, but perhaps it's from there? You could
check it's not missing. I lost one once and made a replacement by
cutting a small shape from the wall of a plastic coke bottle.
Old January 11th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Artoi wrote:
Just replaced the chain with a new Campag Ultra Narrow 5.9mm Veloce
grade chain last night and took it for a ride this morning. After the
ride, while wiping the bike down, I found this tiny polished metallic
ring on the Rt chain stay. It must have held on by static electricity or
a bit of sticky grease.

The tiny metallic ring measures approx 4mm diameter and is made of
polished metal wire of approx 0.35mm in diameter.

Anyone know where it might be from? Could it be part of the chain that
was just installed?

Sounds like a roller from one of the chain pins, just got stuck there
after you shortened the chain(?).

Old January 11th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:49:45 +0100, Lou Holtman

wrote:

Artoi wrote:

Just replaced the chain with a new Campag Ultra Narrow 5.9mm Veloce
grade chain last night and took it for a ride this morning. After the
ride, while wiping the bike down, I found this tiny polished metallic
ring on the Rt chain stay. It must have held on by static electricity or
a bit of sticky grease.

The tiny metallic ring measures approx 4mm diameter and is made of
polished metal wire of approx 0.35mm in diameter.

Anyone know where it might be from? Could it be part of the chain that
was just installed?

No. You worry too much...

Lou

Dear Lou,

Wouldn't you begin to worry if you found bits of metal stuck to your
chainstays by static electricity after a ride?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

If everthing is working properly and after checking the bike, no. This
piece of metal could easily be picked up by the tire.

Lou

Dear Lou,

Maybe this will clarify things . . .

Static electricity?