Back to hybrid riding.

Old May 30th 04, 07:09 AM
Simon Mason

Default Back to hybrid riding.

AS well as the cracked crank (thanks for replies) the rear wheel
bearings on my road bike are knackered again (hub sounds like a cement
mixer) so it's off the road again after only 400 miles. So with the
leaden skies, it was back to the hybrid which has been sulking in the
corner of the garage for the past few weeks.

You know what it said? "I knew you'd come back; we've been through 20
000 miles together, so that brief 400 mile fling with that Italian
floozy with its flimsy cranks was only an mid-life crisis affair".

So no more puncture and traffic worries this morning :-) Bunny wabbits
and dicky birds all around and the smell of flowers in the air. Not in
too much of a hurry for new wheels and crankset just yet.

--
Simon M.
Old May 30th 04, 08:39 AM
vernon levy

You know what it said? "I knew you'd come back; we've been through 20
000 miles together, so that brief 400 mile fling with that Italian
floozy with its flimsy cranks was only an mid-life crisis affair".

A bike does not have to be Italian to be 'frail'. it seems to be a trait of
racing bikes - I bought a Raleigh R100 s/h but in mint unused condition.
The steering head bearings self destructed in less than 150 miles. I
couldn't believe that a key component could fail in such a short time.
Stripping the steering head revealed a paper thin bearing cage (heaven knows
where the rest of the metal disappeared to) with no evidence of there ever
being any lubricant present.

So no more puncture and traffic worries this morning :-) Bunny wabbits
and dicky birds all around and the smell of flowers in the air. Not in
too much of a hurry for new wheels and crankset just yet.

Out on the Galaxy this morning. Never let me down so far.

Old May 30th 04, 03:55 PM
Simon Mason

"vernon levy" wrote in message
You know what it said? "I knew you'd come back; we've been through 20
000 miles together, so that brief 400 mile fling with that Italian
floozy with its flimsy cranks was only an mid-life crisis affair".

A bike does not have to be Italian to be 'frail'.

Agreed. It was more of an allusion to an Italian mistress than a reference
to 1970's Fiats ;-)

Out on the Galaxy this morning. Never let me down so far.

Mines a Raleigh Pioneer Trail with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, like you
say I've been everywhere with it, over fields, along riverbanks, up hills
,over glass paths and I can ride it with 100% confidence. Barring the odd
patch of oil on roundabouts.

--
Simon M.

want opinion on my decision to buy hybrid Tune2828 General 16 January 28th 04 07:38 PM
There's no riding like snow riding... Jonesy Mountain Biking 5 January 3rd 04 04:26 AM
Just getting back into it Alex UK 7 October 30th 03 04:47 PM
Arcata celebrates Skot, Denise Hill is Back Leaves Reno amid fanfare Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway Recumbent Biking 0 July 26th 03 09:24 PM