Highland Middle School Bicycle to School Day

Old May 19th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Highland Middle School Bicycle to School Day

This year Bicycle to School Day was a much bigger success compared to last
year. We had 42 students and 1 teacher who rode this morning. Total
enrollment at the school is 497, so that's 8.5%. Of those 42 students, 6
were girls. Since last year I think I got maybe 3 or 4 kids total (it was
raining that day, though), this was a much better turn-out. I handed out
water bottles and Clif bars. Some kids also took maps, safety literature,
and mini-first aid kits.

Since we had about 10 times more kids riding this year compared to last, do
you think we can sustain the growth trend, and get the entire school to ride
next year?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old May 19th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Claire Petersky" wrote: (clip) Since we had about 10 times more kids
riding this year compared to last, do you think we can sustain the growth
trend, and get the entire school to ride next year?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A ten-fold increase next year would get you to 85%, which is theoretically
possible, but what about the year following? 850%? I wish you luck, but I
won't hold my breath. ;-)

A more realistic expectation would be for a linear growth rate, rather than
exponential. Your participation went from 4 to 42--an increase of 38. You
could probably expect an increase by 38 next year, to a figure of 80. 80
out of 500 is 16%--that ain't bad.

Old May 19th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Claire Petersky wrote:

Since we had about 10 times more kids riding this year compared to last, do
you think we can sustain the growth trend, and get the entire school to ride
next year?

You bet you can if they had fun... and could beat the bus home g.

Old May 19th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Claire Petersky wrote:
::
:: Since we had about 10 times more kids riding this year compared to
:: last, do you think we can sustain the growth trend, and get the
:: entire school to ride next year?

No. Shoot for double what you got this year.

Old May 23rd 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Claire Petersky wrote:
This year Bicycle to School Day was a much bigger success compared to last
year. We had 42 students and 1 teacher who rode this morning. Total
enrollment at the school is 497, so that's 8.5%. Of those 42 students, 6
were girls. Since last year I think I got maybe 3 or 4 kids total (it was
raining that day, though), this was a much better turn-out. I handed out
water bottles and Clif bars. Some kids also took maps, safety literature,
and mini-first aid kits.

Since we had about 10 times more kids riding this year compared to last, do
you think we can sustain the growth trend, and get the entire school to ride
next year?

Claire, you are such a good soul to do this for the kids. And close to
summer break, too. Who cares about Bike to School DAY, perhaps some
will do it for life!

--Karen D.

Bicycle is king of the road as gas costs rise cfsmtb Australia 14 May 9th 06 12:35 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Free Bikes Instead of School Bus (long) [Not Responding] UK 18 May 17th 04 06:44 AM