Secure the front wheel on a hitch mounted bike rack

Old June 5th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Secure the front wheel on a hitch mounted bike rack

forgive this question as i am new to triathlons and just purchased a
hitch mounted bike rack that looks something like this.....
www.lickbike.com/lickimages/3829.gif

I can secure my bike to the rack very easily. But what is the best way
to secure the front tire and the handle bars so they don't go flopping
around in the wind???

is there a better solution than just a bungee cord?

Thanks for your suggestions... jon

Old June 5th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I can secure my bike to the rack very easily. But what is the best way
to secure the front tire and the handle bars so they don't go flopping
around in the wind???

is there a better solution than just a bungee cord?

Jon,

I have a Thule rack that supports three bikes. The rack came with a
number of small (maybe 0.5" wide, 8" long) velcro strips that have
hooks on one side and loops on the other. In particular, these things
are excellent for keeping the f/r brakes on permanently during
transport. This prevents the wheels from spinning. The 'straps' are
quick, easy, weather resistant, durable, and as it turns out, cheap.

I recently took a trip to Home Depot looking for some velcro to strap a
battery onto my bike rack...and stumbled across these two-sided velcro
strips. A pack of 50 for less than $5 (CDN). They're called ONE-WRAP
straps, and are made by Velcro. You can even get a version that
stretches (which would provide some additional tension). There's
another version that comes as a continuous roll, and you can cut to
length as desired.

As for the bars swinging....you can use a longer version of the strap
to tie the rim/tire to the downtube. I personally don't bother with
this, as I haven't noticed any bar movement that is of concern. Most
of my trips are within 20 miles, and I usually have at least two bikes
onboard...I'm more concerned about the bikes interfering/contacting
each other, or with wet weather, or with the bikes being stolen, or the
bikes swinging to/fro when driving.

I would only use a bungee cord as a last resort...when
attaching/releasing them, they've got a nasty tendency to hurt the bike
or the owner (particularly when it's wet and the end slips from your
hand at the wrong time).

A nice alternative to bungee straps are simple nylon 'belts'. Some
have metal buckles, others have plastic...the buckles have teeth to
prevent undesired slippage. In fact, the Thule rack I have uses these
types of straps to attach to the vehicle. Again, quick, easy, cheap,
and they'll last a lifetime. They're probably marketed under different
names. The ones I've seen are about 3/4" wide, made of blue fabric,
and cost about $5 for a pair. Automotive stores (or even Wal-Mart) are
a good place to look...the beefier versions have ratcheting mechanisms,
which are overkill for this application.

You might want to look into mechanisms to lock your bikes as well.
Getting your bike(s) stolen while grabbing a bite to eat on the highway
is NOT a good feeling.

Cheers,
Dave

Old June 6th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On 5 Jun 2006 08:51:19 -0700, wrote:

forgive this question as i am new to triathlons and just purchased a
hitch mounted bike rack that looks something like this.....
www.lickbike.com/lickimages/3829.gif

I can secure my bike to the rack very easily. But what is the best way
to secure the front tire and the handle bars so they don't go flopping
around in the wind???

is there a better solution than just a bungee cord?

I take an old-style toe clip strap and run it through the wheel and
around the downtube. I don't think I'd try to do that with a carbon
frame, but on my old steel and aluminum bikes it works fine, and it
does double duty in keeping the wheel from spinning and flopping with
a single strap. On my roof rack, I use those same straps to secure
the wheels to the tray; they're easier to deal with than the stiff
plastic ratcheting gizmos from Yakima.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old June 6th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:
forgive this question as i am new to triathlons and just purchased a
hitch mounted bike rack that looks something like this.....
www.lickbike.com/lickimages/3829.gif

I can secure my bike to the rack very easily. But what is the best way
to secure the front tire and the handle bars so they don't go flopping
around in the wind???

is there a better solution than just a bungee cord?

Thanks for your suggestions... jon

I use a cable with a lock through both wheels, the frame, and the rack.
It keeps the wheels from spinning and also tends to prevent someone
popping the quick-releases and walking off with my wheels.

"Every day is Saturday when you're retired."

Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA
(email is a spamtrap)
Old June 8th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:
forgive this question as i am new to triathlons and just purchased a
hitch mounted bike rack that looks something like this.....
www.lickbike.com/lickimages/3829.gif

I can secure my bike to the rack very easily. But what is the best way
to secure the front tire and the handle bars so they don't go flopping
around in the wind???

is there a better solution than just a bungee cord?

Thanks for your suggestions... jon

I use 1/16th " elastic cord instead of a heavy duty bungee. You can buy
the cord by the foot at camping stores like REI. Tie loops on the ends,
thread it through the front and rear wheels, and hook the loops
wherever you find it handy. It keeps the wheels from spinning, the
handlebars straight, won't mar the finish on either your bike or your
car, and it's cheap.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

FS: Ext. Spare Wheel Mounted 2-Rig Bike Rack Mike Marketplace 0 July 12th 05 06:05 AM
Bike rack and hitch success/joy/elation Todd H. General 21 June 22nd 05 09:38 PM
Bike rack [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 02:50 AM
Spoke Over-Tension and Drifting Wheel Alignment mCrux Techniques 6 August 25th 04 04:29 PM
Rack questions har Techniques 14 June 25th 04 09:18 PM