Blowing the cobwebs off my MTB

Old July 5th 05, 11:19 PM
Ian B.

Default Blowing the cobwebs off my MTB

I'm doing a weeks worth in London, so I was planning to take the bike
down to Liverpool Street by train early Monday morning (or Sunday
possibly, if I get a weekly) and then cycle over to South Kensington.

Anyway, back to the point, I haven't used my MTB in a couple of years,
and never before that have I done any maintenance really (can't remember
how long I've had it now, 5-6 years now maybe?). Except of course for
the painfully obvious like putting air in the tyres. So should I get it
checked over by a professional, and would this cost much? Or are there
any good guides on-line or books I can check out?

Thanks for any tips!
Ian
Old July 6th 05, 12:57 AM
elyob

"Ian B." wrote in message
eenews.net...
I'm doing a weeks worth in London, so I was planning to take the bike down
to Liverpool Street by train early Monday morning (or Sunday possibly, if
I get a weekly) and then cycle over to South Kensington.

Anyway, back to the point, I haven't used my MTB in a couple of years, and
never before that have I done any maintenance really (can't remember how
long I've had it now, 5-6 years now maybe?). Except of course for the
painfully obvious like putting air in the tyres. So should I get it
checked over by a professional, and would this cost much? Or are there any
good guides on-line or books I can check out?

Thanks for any tips!
Ian

Ian, glad to share the knowledge

I would suggest getting the bike looked over by a professional. You may have
a big bill due to the bike being uncared for for a while. I'm guessing that
your chain and cogs have gone rusty?

However, this sort of work is also beyond a local bike shop's (LBS) area.
It's too much work cleaning when they can replace. So take an honest look at
your bike and let us know where you can see obvious trouble.

Alternatively, WD40 the whole bloody thing, find out what jumps, skips, hops
and get them fixed/replaced.

The main thing is to just get out there and enjoy it. A bad bike will
produce a bad ride. A cared for bike is a pain to look after! Just find a
nice happy compromise!

South Kensington? You have a decent lock, an ugly bike and/or secure
parking?

Finally; train, monday morning? Check whether your train network allows bike
in the rush hour.

Old July 6th 05, 12:58 AM
elyob

I forgot to mention .. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

A great resource for fixing bikes.

Old July 6th 05, 01:36 PM
Ian B.

elyob wrote:
"Ian B." wrote in message
eenews.net...

[...]

Cheers for the info. Train Monday morning is ok if I arrive at Liverpool
Street before 7 (eek!), and I get on at the second stop on the line so
should be ok. A decent lock is on the shopping list, the parking is a
bit secure, covered by CCTV and off the main road (it's at Imperial
College BTW). Or I could find out about the really secure parking, but
that's a big hassle and a longer walk. I'm still not convinced I will
cycle, I'm a bit unsure about the route from Liverpool street to South
Ken, but even if I don't I need to get my bike sorted for numerous other
plans.

Do you know how much it might cost to get it checked out minus the cost
of repairs? If it needs anything doing to it then I don't mind the extra
costs so much, I was just wondering if it might be expensive for someone
to say 'that's all fine'.
Old July 6th 05, 04:04 PM
Sara

In article .net, Ian
B. wrote:

Do you know how much it might cost to get it checked out minus the cost
of repairs? If it needs anything doing to it then I don't mind the extra
costs so much, I was just wondering if it might be expensive for someone
to say 'that's all fine'.

My local bike shop does a general service for about £25 - I always
thought that was reasonable since I am completely incapable (for which
read "never learnt how due to complete lack of interest in doing such")
of doing it myself. I am guessing (wildly, of course) that that is
about average.
Old July 6th 05, 11:32 PM
BIG_ONE

"Ian B." wrote:

A decent lock is on the shopping list, the parking is a
bit secure, covered by CCTV and off the main road (it's at Imperial
College BTW).

95% it'll be fine there

Or I could find out about the really secure parking, but
that's a big hassle and a longer walk. I'm still not convinced I will
cycle, I'm a bit unsure about the route from Liverpool street to South
Ken,

downhill to the river - right at the river - right at big ben -
straight through the parks

but even if I don't I need to get my bike sorted for numerous other
plans.

looks like you want someone to talk you out of/into it

Do you know how much it might cost to get it checked out minus the cost
of repairs? If it needs anything doing to it then I don't mind the extra
costs so much, I was just wondering if it might be expensive for someone
to say 'that's all fine'.

there's always something to do if you look for it / as long as it goes
it's all fine
Old July 8th 05, 12:34 AM
Ian B.

BIG_ONE wrote:
"Ian B." wrote:

downhill to the river - right at the river - right at big ben -
straight through the parks

If you have anymore detailed info on the routes (well, for the liverpool
street -- parks bit) that would be appreciated, especially one one
quite roads or generally newbie cycle friendly.

but even if I don't I need to get my bike sorted for numerous other
plans.

looks like you want someone to talk you out of/into it

Ha ha, spot on really, I'm a bit indecisive by nature. With the events
of today it seems more tempting, so I'll probably bite the bullet and go
for it, see how it goes!
Old July 8th 05, 12:36 AM
Ian B.

Sara wrote:
In article .net, Ian
B. wrote:

Do you know how much it might cost to get it checked out minus the cost
of repairs? If it needs anything doing to it then I don't mind the extra
costs so much, I was just wondering if it might be expensive for someone
to say 'that's all fine'.

My local bike shop does a general service for about £25 - I always
thought that was reasonable since I am completely incapable (for which
read "never learnt how due to complete lack of interest in doing such")
of doing it myself. I am guessing (wildly, of course) that that is
about average.

Seems about right, if Cycle King is anything to go by
http://www.cycleking.co.uk/.