Please do not send picture attachments to rsu

Old August 7th 03, 10:33 PM
andrew_carter

Default Please do not send picture attachments to rsu

Of course I will, but can I ask why?

Thanks,
Andrew

--
andrew_carter - My custom muni...

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
'GP Unicycles' (http://tinyurl.com/8roq)

Old August 7th 03, 10:55 PM
Gilby

iunicycle wrote:
*Is this directed at users of the newsgroup rec.sports.unicycling, to
users of your email gateway or whom? *

To those on the newsgroup and the mailing list. Forum users can add
attachments to the posts without problems as just a link is included
when sent to the newsgroup and email list.

--
Gilby - Unicyclist.com Webmaster
Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

Old August 7th 03, 11:39 PM
Ken Fuchs

Of course I will, but can I ask why?

Attachments are not permitted on most newsgroups (including
rec.sport.unicycling) to reduce the bandwidth usage of news
servers. The more bandwidth that is used, the fewer newgroups the
servers can transmit to other servers and users.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs
unicycling (rsu) mailing list owner & rec.sport.unicycling proponent
?subject=help
http://www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu/
Old August 8th 03, 12:48 AM
Nathan Hoover

Occasionally people forget and accidentally attach images to the post
directly. See for instance David Stone's recent post "flaming puck photo."
Of course in this case it's not that big of a deal since it's a 23kb
attachment, but Ken is exactly right - all text all the time in these
newsgroups. Use the forum as Gilby says, and everyone sees photos and is
happy while keeping the load on the news servers low.

There have been infamous examples of anti-social people persisting in
attaching images in other newsgroups, but it's never been much of a problem
here.

---Nathan

"Klaas Bil" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:15:09 -0500, Ken Fuchs
wrote:

Put your picture(s) on a web site (i.e. forum website or your own) and
provide the URL to it in your message to the rsu mailing list/
rec.sport.unicycling/forums.

Ken, I think you mean to ask not to send pictures to the NEWSGROUP
r.s.u.? That would be a legitimate request. Conversely, I think that
sending pictures to the FORUM r.s.u. is perfectly acceptable or am I
missing something?

As far as I am aware, no pictures have recently been sent to the
newsgroup.

Old August 8th 03, 01:17 AM
Klaas Bil

Nathan Hoover wrote:
*See for instance David Stone's recent post "flaming puck photo."*

Thanks Nathan. I have missed that one alltogether on my news server. I
don't think it got deleted because of the attachment, or would that be a
possibility?

Klaas Bil

--
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Old August 8th 03, 04:06 AM
Ken Fuchs

wrote:

Put your picture(s) on a web site (i.e. forum website or your own) and
provide the URL to it in your message to the rsu mailing list/
rec.sport.unicycling/forums.

Ken, I think you mean to ask not to send pictures to the NEWSGROUP
r.s.u.? That would be a legitimate request. Conversely, I think that
sending pictures to the FORUM r.s.u. is perfectly acceptable or am I
missing something?

The request was directed to the rsu mailing list,
rec.sport.unicycling newsgroup and unicyclist.com forums.

I was wrong to include the forums in this request:
Gilby has made it clear that unicyclist.com forum users can use
attachments, since the software automatically converts the attachment to
a URL reference before being sent to the newsgroup or mailing list.

The rsu mailing list is restricted from sending attachments, since
there is a bi-directional gateway between the rsu mailing list and
rec.sport.unicycling newsgroup.

As far as I am aware, no pictures have recently been sent to the
newsgroup.

A message with an attachment was sent to the rsu mailing list a few days
ago. It should have also appeared on rec.sport.unicycling via the
gateway.

Old August 8th 03, 07:00 AM
john_childs

paco wrote:
*I really don't know what any of that means, but as long as I'm
posting through unicyclist.com, I can keep posting photos in the
forums, right? *

Yes.

The only concern when attaching a picture to a forum post is to resize
the picture to 640x480 or less, and to recompress the JPG to get the
size down to 40K or less. Pictures bigger than 640x480 mess up the
formatting in the web forum and make it harder to read the thread.
Files bigger than 40K or so get to be annoying for the people with a
dial-up connection.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com