Duomatic rims

Old October 8th 18, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default Duomatic rims

I have seen a lot of Torpedo Duomatic rims that
are "untrued" (?) beyond repair, often with
three of four spokes broke.

I take it is the same material (rim, spokes)
with 1S, 3S or 5S Torpedo rims and spokes,
where I haven't seen this to this extent by
far.

So I wonder, is it something with the Duomatic
mechanism/usage that wears down the rim faster
than the other hubs?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old October 8th 18, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/8/2018 9:24 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
I have seen a lot of Torpedo Duomatic rims that
are "untrued" (?) beyond repair, often with
three of four spokes broke.

I take it is the same material (rim, spokes)
with 1S, 3S or 5S Torpedo rims and spokes,
where I haven't seen this to this extent by
far.

So I wonder, is it something with the Duomatic
mechanism/usage that wears down the rim faster
than the other hubs?

No.
Snip out the spokes, clean lubricate and adjust the hub then
rebuild with new spokes and rim.

German made Torpedo CB hubs (and US, UK, etc classic models)
have substantial steel hubshells which move heat better than
modern thin models. Worth keeping IMHO.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 8th 18, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

No. Snip out the spokes, clean lubricate and
adjust the hub then rebuild with new spokes
and rim.

These rims cannot be trued, not with reasonable
effort anyway. You'd had to move the Duomatic
hub onto a better rim.

German made Torpedo CB hubs (and US, UK, etc
classic models) have substantial steel
hubshells which move heat better than modern
thin models. Worth keeping IMHO.

I love Torpedo but I've seen so many completely
distorted rims with Duomatic hubs so it
baffles me it is a coincidence. But if you say
so I suppose it is.

Old October 8th 18, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/8/2018 10:39 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

No. Snip out the spokes, clean lubricate and
adjust the hub then rebuild with new spokes
and rim.

These rims cannot be trued, not with reasonable
effort anyway. You'd had to move the Duomatic
hub onto a better rim.

German made Torpedo CB hubs (and US, UK, etc
classic models) have substantial steel
hubshells which move heat better than modern
thin models. Worth keeping IMHO.

I love Torpedo but I've seen so many completely
distorted rims with Duomatic hubs so it
baffles me it is a coincidence. But if you say
so I suppose it is.

You cannot possibly be serious. The rim maker has no
relationship to the hub maker. Zero.

You have a fine classic hub and a wrecked rim. Throw the rim
away and build on a new rim just like everyone else does
periodically. Although some riders (Jobst Brandt et al)
reuse spokes we don't see the point, a rebuild here being
new spokes with new rim, and a high volume service at that.

Equipment wears out. Some things, such as Campagnolo Record
hubs or SA gearboxes or Torpedo hubs or classic steel
frames, get rebuilt/refurbished. Other things, such as
tires, rims, brake blocks, STi shifters and handlebar tape,
are disposable.

Old October 8th 18, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

The rim maker has no relationship to the hub
maker. Zero.

I mean: the *usage* of the Duomatic with the
constant gearing back and forth by pedaling
backward and then accelerating!

Old October 8th 18, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Andrew, while we're on the subject - I've been seeing a LOT of broken Mavic wheelsets. They usually crack between spoke holes and because people do not inspect them they grow to the point that they actually break spokes out of the rim.

I don't recall this ever occurring with MA-2's.

Do you have anything to say about this?
Old October 8th 18, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Only that it's a known issue.

Mavic ownership, engineering, metallurgy and so on has
changed several times since MA2.