Something I read in the News

Old December 19th 18, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Something I read in the News

On 12/19/2018 1:55 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 21:01:34 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 10:18:27 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

And it's not even necessarily big firms. When you need your grass
cut and you check the bulletin board at the grocery store, you
call around for the best price. You don't say "Oh, and let me see
your citizenship papers." Hell, it recently came out that Trump has
had (and probably still has) illegal immigrants working for him.
- Frank Krygowski

It's much worse than that. My father used to own a lingerie
manufactory in Smog Angeles. He would hire as best he could from the
constantly churning labor pool moving back and forth between the
aerospace and the garment district. Of course, illegal aliens were
mixed in with the legal immigrants. It was actually fairly easy to
tell. At the time (about 50 years ago) he was faced with the problem
of how to deal with having as many as 10 individual workers using the
same identical social security number. So, he walked across the
street, where the offices of the Calif Unemployment Dept was located
and asked for help. He was told to do nothing, and to never ask a
worker to prove that they were legally in the USA. Huh? Apparently,
the privacy laws are more important than dealing with illegal aliens.
I verified this advice by independently asking the same questions. We
could not legally ask a worker to prove that they were in the USA
legally. When my father had a stroke and I temporarily took over the
business in 1986, nothing had changed. This worked out nicely for
employers, where this policy allows them the claim that they had no
way to know that they were hiring an illegal alien (i.e. plausible
denial).

Fortunately, this changed recently under Trump where it is now
possible to verify green cards and immigration status:
https://www.uscis.gov/news/news-releases/new-e-verifygov-website-user-friendly-source-verify-employment-eligibility
https://www.e-verify.gov
https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central
If Prez Trump still has illegal aliens on his payroll, he probably
didn't bother to check their status since E-Verify checks are
voluntary to employers.
https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/about-form-i-9/e-verify-and-form-i-9

A good friend used to run am illegal machine shop somewhere in L.A. a
bit earlier. He had three "Screw Machines" in his garage. Screw
machines are automated lathes, from before the modern CNC machines
became common, so the operators mainly watched the machine and gauged
an occasional finished part.

He employed Mexican women and said that they didn't come to work hung
over, they didn't want off early on Saturday to watch the game, and
they were happy with a half hour lunch break :-)

.... which, of course, is some evidence against the meme "just come here
to get on welfare..."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 19th 18, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-12-17 18:58, John B. Slocomb wrote:
Today's Bangkok Post had an article entitled "US careens towards
government shutdown". From reading the article it seems that the
President wants a 5 billion dollar budget for the Mexican Wall and
Congress doesn't want to give it to him.

5,000,000,000 divided by 1,954 miles is what? $25,588,536.33 a mile
(that may be wrong as I'm not used to working with really big numbers)
but even for the largest economy in the world that seems a tiny bit
expensive, doesn't it?

It's about $2.5M per mile which sounds cheap to me, considering all the
surveillance stuff that goes into it. Maybe you need a new calculator :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old December 19th 18, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 10:54:51 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-12-17 18:58, John B. Slocomb wrote:
Today's Bangkok Post had an article entitled "US careens towards
government shutdown". From reading the article it seems that the
President wants a 5 billion dollar budget for the Mexican Wall and
Congress doesn't want to give it to him.

5,000,000,000 divided by 1,954 miles is what? $25,588,536.33 a mile
(that may be wrong as I'm not used to working with really big numbers)
but even for the largest economy in the world that seems a tiny bit
expensive, doesn't it?

It's about $2.5M per mile which sounds cheap to me, considering all the
surveillance stuff that goes into it. Maybe you need a new calculator :-)

You missed that part where I say, "(that may be wrong as I'm not used
to working with really big numbers)"?

cheers,

John B.

Old December 19th 18, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-12-17 18:58, John B. Slocomb wrote:
Today's Bangkok Post had an article entitled "US careens towards
government shutdown". From reading the article it seems that the
President wants a 5 billion dollar budget for the Mexican Wall and
Congress doesn't want to give it to him.

5,000,000,000 divided by 1,954 miles is what? $25,588,536.33 a mile
(that may be wrong as I'm not used to working with really big numbers)
but even for the largest economy in the world that seems a tiny bit
expensive, doesn't it?

It's about $2.5M per mile which sounds cheap to me, considering all the
surveillance stuff that goes into it. Maybe you need a new calculator :-)

You missed that part where I say, "(that may be wrong as I'm not used
to working with really big numbers)"?

I didn't miss that, just couldn't believe it because AFAIK you are an
engineer and also worked on aircraft. Those are professions where some
really big numbers occur.

Old December 20th 18, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

On 2018-12-17 18:58, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

Yes, I did graduate from a so called "diploma mill" engineering school
and yes I did work on airplanes but the largest numbers we worked with
was gallons of gasoline in the fuel tanks which, I suppose rather
dates me as I never worked on a jet aircraft :-)

I originally served an apprenticeship as a machinist where the biggest
numbers were in 1/1000 inch :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old December 20th 18, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

On 2018-12-17 18:58, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

Who knows, maybe 100 years from now anyone who worked with Jet-A has to
be an old fart. My 36 year old road bike doesn't instill youth appeal
either. "Wot's a downtube shifter?"

I originally served an apprenticeship as a machinist where the biggest
numbers were in 1/1000 inch :-)

If you never worked on the electronics you might not have experienced
really large ranges. There we routinely deal with ranges in excess of 12
orders of magnitude. Though 0.001" versus the wing span can be five
orders of magnitude.

Old December 20th 18, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

On 2018-12-17 18:58, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

https://tinyurl.com/y9nz5wtd
9 speed Shimano Indexed Shifters about $65.00 a set

I originally served an apprenticeship as a machinist where the biggest
numbers were in 1/1000 inch :-)

If you never worked on the electronics you might not have experienced
really large ranges. There we routinely deal with ranges in excess of 12
orders of magnitude. Though 0.001" versus the wing span can be five
orders of magnitude.

Wing span is/was measured in feet :-) about 154 feet for a B-52 or
some 1,911,600 one-thousand of an inch :=)

But I tell a lie, I did work on jet aircraft - I removed a sump drain
from a B-52 wing tank at about 2300 one at night :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old December 20th 18, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 9:00:08 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 6:13:59 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 5:02:48 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/18/2018 5:57 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 3:08:02 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/18/2018 2:41 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 11:40:46 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/18/2018 12:18 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 1:56:23 AM UTC-5, John B. Slocomb wrote:

I wonder why the U.S. doesn't follow Thailand in matter of illegal
immigrants. Here the only individuals that qualify for government
assistance of any sort are citizens , or, in some cases, legal workers
who pay taxes. Illegal immigrants are liable to jail terms but are
usually just extradited to their home country. AND, those who employ
illegal workers are liable to a 1 year jail term and a large fine. I'm
not sure about it but Thai law usually assigns one penalty per crime
committed, i.e., two illegal workers equals two years and double fine,
etc.

While finding that one will be hanged in a fortnight is said to
concentrates the mind wonderfully I also find that "no food unless you
earn it" tends to ensure that most people will be gainfully employed.

Well, I think this issue is extremely complex. Some salient points:

First, the U.S. is a nation of immigrants. During most of its history
it needed to actively import people to make use of the huge amount
of virgin land, to do farm work, to build railroads, to keep the
factories running. That's how and why my grandparents came here..

It's still true that lots of businesses - agriculture and everything
else, from lawn care to manufacturing - want cheap labor. There must
be thousands of businesses owned by people all across the political
spectrum who depend on people with questionable papers who are
willing to work for less.

And I think for most of those people, it's not a question of "no work
so no food" policies chasing them home. They work and work hard..
I read a couple articles last year about tomatoes rotting in fields
because the people who used to pick them were now too afraid to work.
The farm owner said he couldn't get "regular Americans" to do the
work. They wouldn't put up with the job for more than one day.

There's also the bit about asylum. I once helped a foreign guy get
asylum, albeit unwittingly. (He asked me to write him a letter
inviting him to visit. When he landed, he applied for and received
asylum.) Because of its history, the US has laws allowing people to
seek asylum. I suppose some might want to go back in time and stop
those laws from being written. But odds are they were logical when
written, and are probably fairly logical now.

The big influx from Central America certainly contains many people
who are literally fleeing for their lives. From what I've read, some
of that is precipitated by past U.S. policies in Central America.
And I'll note that one relative of mine works for an agency that
supports refugees in some ways. There are horrible stories to hear.

Also, I think there's little comparison between U.S. and Thailand.
This is a huge country with an enormous economy and lots of
prosperity. There's a long, long land border with Mexico, a much
poorer country. That means there's a lot of motivation to sneak
across that border and serious difficulty preventing the crossings.

Which is not to say Trump's wall would really work. It would stop
those walking across, probably a small percentage. Until, perhaps,
the ladder was invented.

Overall, it's a complicated problem. America is filled with know-
nothings who think every problem is easy. But this problem would
be tricky even if millions of people didn't make millions of dollars
by hiring illegal immigrants. Those people - many of whom are well
connected politically - will stand in the way of any fierce
enforcement against firms that employ these people.

And it's not even necessarily big firms. When you need your grass
cut and you check the bulletin board at the grocery store, you
call around for the best price. You don't say "Oh, and let me see
your citizenship papers." Hell, it recently came out that Trump has
had (and probably still has) illegal immigrants working for him..

Wall- necessary but not sufficient. Won't solve all
problems, or even most, but necessary.

Immigrants- Yes we children of immigrants love immigrants.
Illegal invaders are not the same as immigrants. Conflating
terms is not helpful.

Public charge- Logically, immigrants are proscribed from
being a public charge with good reason.

Laws unenforced or ignored altogether-
https://ktla.com/2018/12/17/man-dies...entral-valley/

The wall only became necessary when Trump ran for president. It certainly isn't necessary he https://media.newyorker.com/photos/5...423_r31920.jpg Unless there are invading hordes of Mexican rock climbers. I'd worry more about hang-gliders. Nets! We need nets!

There were already appropriations for new sections of fencing. There still are appropriations for new sections of fencing -- even in the proposed Democratic budget. There just isn't a budget for a dopey border-to-border mega-wall through inaccessible terrain. This is all pandering to the base. Sad! Wall-hunt! No Collusion!

Yes, ridiculous is our new level of discourse but facts are
stubborn things.

Several Congresses over 30-odd years* voted to better secure
the southern border, partially wall, fence, even a failed
e-surveillance program. Meanwhile Texas reports over a
half-million felonies per year by illegals and California no
longer reports.

Listen to any Jamile Shaw interview in the past ten years
about his son and tell me border enforcement is pointless.
http://jamielshaw.com/

Or Kate Steinle's father who watched her die as she said,
"Dad, help me".

There are dozens of memorial websites like:
http://www.ojjpac.org/memorial.asp

To say a wall is insufficient or ineffective or too
expensive is an argument, and I would engage that. To say
there is no problem is ridiculous.

Nobody is saying there is no problem, although one can disagree on the magnitude of the problem -- and the best, most fiscally responsible way of dealing with the problem.

Anecdotes of people getting killed also say nothing about whether the killer would have been deterred by a wall. For all we know, Pedro Espinoza's mom may have taken a bus to El Paso or come to the US through a tunnel in Tijuana. Moreover, there is already a wall in most population areas on the southern border, including Tijuana. We built tons of walls under the Secure Fence Act of 2006. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Fence_Act_of_2006 Maybe more are needed but not an engineering marvel across the canyons of Texas.

* The loudest voices against Mr Trump's wall voted for it in
the WJC era and blamed GWB for _not_ building it. As with so
much of politics, the default position is "I'm for whatever
he's against". This is not productive for the nation.

Being a first-class ass-wipe not surprisingly puts Trump at odds with the mainstream so even his reasonable policies get discounted, but building a massive wall from border to border is not a reasonable policy. Notwithstanding Faux News and the tin-foil hat news outlets, even the liberal boogeywoman Nancy Pelosi is not advocating for "open borders." Not even the Republican controlled Senate wants to shut down the government for Trump's wall -- or Hadrian's Wall or the Maginot Line. This is all part of his weird pandering. A reasonable politician would identify areas that required fortification and would fortify those areas and not advocate for some great wall through nowhere. But then again, a reasonable politician would not have gutted federal revenues and created a monumental budget gap -- not in a hot economy, but that's a whole other issue.

-- Jay Beattie.

Half a kumbaya, my half brother. I was with you until that
last sentence.

Federal revenues are up. Unfortunately both parties* joined
in spending even more than that.

http://blog.independent.org/2018/07/...eep-piling-up/

Every major tax cut has produced increased revenue. Hell
even Putin back in 2003(?) made Russia's tax a flat 13%
across the board and filled his treasury. Revenue is only
one side of the equation however...

*Repugnicans ought to know better. And, sadly, once did know
that, or at least faked it.

Not to be a downer, but: https://www.politifact.com/punditfac...mp-tax-cuts-s/ Plus, revenues were rising in 2017 before the tax cut became effective. That's what happens during an economic recovery. There may be some trickle-down but not nearly enough.

I haven't looked at the details for the Reagan tax cut, but both Reagan and Bush had to raise taxes to fill holes. The economy improved, and Clinton got a hot economy, increased top marginal rates to reduce the deficit -- and did. http://www.factandmyth.com/wp-conten...nton-taxes.jpg Nice bunch of graphs: http://www.factandmyth.com/taxes/tax...crease-revenue

I'm all for lower taxes, although my taxes increase under Trump -- but if they did go down, I'd be for that. But I wouldn't expect revenues to increase significantly or at all. Corporations in particular do whatever is in their best interest and will buy their own stock before employing more people who pay more taxes. Why take on more overhead when the next president with have to jack up the rates. This is going to be "read my lips" 2.0.

-- Jay Beattie.

Come on Jay, at what point did it come into your mind that these sorts of things have immediate results? Reagan's tax cuts took George H. W. Bush's entire term to start taking effect and since the Republican Congress for Clinton's first six years wouldn't allow him to change them it was the largest time of economic stability in modern history. For Clinton's last two years he got a Democrat controlled Congress and they spent the next four years destroying what Reagan had accomplished. By the end of the second year of George W.'s Presidency all of the surplus had disappeared. What would make you think that you can change the course of the engine of industry overnight?

Look at the graphs, Tom, tax revues increased during Clinton's term -- after he raised the top marginal rate. http://www.factandmyth.com/wp-conten...nton-taxes.jpg

This wasn't some eleven year lag from the Reagan tax break, particularly since both Reagan and Bush raised taxes.

And yes, tax cuts have immediate results. The Trump tax cut drastically and immediately reduced tax revenues and created a (more) gaping deficit.

Tax savings have gone to stock buy-backs and not capex or wages. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-capex-outlays They're not "trickling" back to the tax coffers -- at least not enough to make the tax cut revenue neutral. That was magical thinking.

Yes, the treasury will get a big bump in taxes from the repatriated cash, but at a one-time low, low discount rate of 15.5% -- on ordinary income. That will be a bump for one year. Companies that bought back their stock and revved up dividends created at least some new tax revenue, but that was a one-shot thing and another one-year bump. This is typical Trump -- hit the economy with some adrenaline, claim victory and then blame others when it crashes. Checked the market? It's only down 350 points today. Yields dumped on the 10y t-bill. Smells like a recession! Thank you Donnie, thank you!

Mark my words. This will be "read my lips" 2.0. Individual tax breaks will be phased out. The corporate tax rate will rise. The only other option is a huge reduction in non-discretionary spending, i.e. your SS/Medicare benefit. Grab your ankles. They're already taking aim at Medicare B.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 20th 18, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

On 2018-12-17 18:58, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

Nothing indexed here, this is the traditional Shimano 600 EX deal. I've
had riders asking me "What are you doing down there all the time? You
reach down but don't grab your bottle".

I originally served an apprenticeship as a machinist where the biggest
numbers were in 1/1000 inch :-)

If you never worked on the electronics you might not have experienced
really large ranges. There we routinely deal with ranges in excess of 12
orders of magnitude. Though 0.001" versus the wing span can be five
orders of magnitude.

Wing span is/was measured in feet :-) about 154 feet for a B-52 or
some 1,911,600 one-thousand of an inch :=)

But I tell a lie, I did work on jet aircraft - I removed a sump drain
from a B-52 wing tank at about 2300 one at night :-)

Well, it's got to be done. So you did work on a jet :-)

Old December 20th 18, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On 2018-12-17 18:58, John B. Slocomb wrote:
[...]

Slocum has big plans for inventing an electric aircraft.