Which is Stronger: Profile Hub/Cranks OR Splined Qu-Ax Hub/Cranks?

Old March 2nd 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
noibs

Default Which is Stronger: Profile Hub/Cranks OR Splined Qu-Ax Hub/Cranks?

Just curious...does anyone have an opinion about the relative strength
(for big drops) of the Profile hub & cranks (145mm) as compared to the
splined Qu-Ax hub & cranks (145mm).

There's obviously a huge price differential between these two hub/crank
assemblies and many seem to think that the splined Qu-Ax hub & cranks
are pretty strong. Disregard the fact that the Qu-Ax is 48 hole and
the Profile is 36 hole.

Thanks.

--
noibs
noibs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14274

Old March 2nd 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
genesis4

i have heard of them.

--
genesis4

unicycle WITH Christ (the clouds are soft)
genesis4's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13976

Old March 2nd 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
musketman

I dont know. Are you sure Quax cranks havn't been snapped? Not many
people ride Quax setups, so I dont think they have been tested that
good. Many Many people ride profile cranks, and still say they are very
strong. they have had a fair trial. Kris Holm, Dan Heaton, and many
many others have done some crazy stuff on them for years. Yes a few
have broke, but they were dropping some crazy stuff.

I have heard qu-ax cranks are very strong, but I dont think they have
been tested touph enouph to say they are any stronger than profile
cranks. Another good thing with profile is that if you did break them,
you get another cranks free. Overtime is you ride hard they pay for
themself.

My profile cranks are easy to get on and off, and arn't lose at all.
They dont sqeek/creak at all either. I think the bottom line is the
qu-ax cranks need to be tested and given some abuse before we can say
anything about them.

--
musketman

MUSKETMAN
www.unicycle.com

For Sale: Parachute, only used once, never opened, small stain
musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214

Old March 2nd 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
genesis4

I think the bottom line is the qu-ax cranks need to be tested and given
some abuse before we can say anything about them.

does this mean we get to blow something up!!?

Old March 2nd 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
musketman

genesis4 wrote:
I think the bottom line is the qu-ax cranks need to be tested and given
some abuse before we can say anything about them.

does this mean we get to blow something up!!?

Ah, heck, why not!

Old March 2nd 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
genesis4

musketman wrote:
Ah, heck, why not!

i love it when fourth of july comes early!

Old March 2nd 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
DustinSchaap

More than 50% of the riders in Europe ride Qu-Ax lol, I think they've
been tested enough... Qu-Ax isn't a very popular brand in America and
Australia because they arn't easily available there... german trial
champion Lutz Eichholz uses these cranks, Rocco Schulz (1.00m+ rolling
hops) uses them, I know plenty of people who have tested them, myself I
have taken them above 2.10m drops and 9sets and the only thing that was
damaged was my ankle. Frank Vroemen has taken them above 2.40m drops
and his are still perfect too.

--
DustinSchaap

FOUNDER OF EENWIEL.NL (\"HTTP://WWW.EENWIEL.NL\")

Old March 2nd 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
musketman

Not good enouph. I havn't even heard of these people. If they even did
do that It doesn't matter, because the Profiles have done that and then
some. So still Youd have to test them for years..and hard. I know they
are strong, but I just dont know if you can just come to the conclusion
that they are stronger than profile. They are probably close to the
same, and either one would be a great setup.

Old March 2nd 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
olarf

For sure Dustin is absolutely right that the QU-AX set is well approved
for some years by many riders and really strong!
There must be a reason that Pro trial Riders do a lot of work to move a
48 spokes QU-AX Hub into a 36 spokes Hub to build a wheel with a 36
spoke rim
If you don't know Rocco and Lutz and some other popular European riders
you should maybe visit utv to become familiar with them, they have some
video stuff online. You will find a lot of QU-AX Hub Sets in all
European Videos and also in some from other Continents.
At least only on a test bench it would be possible to get a neutral
result which set is stronger, drops say nothing about cause it totally
depends on the technique you use who hard they stress the Hub Set.
So for now I think both Sets are really strong ones but the QU-AX one
is much cheaper.

--
olarf

visit 'unicycle.tv' (http://www.unicycle.tv)
olarf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10588

Old March 2nd 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
musketman

olarf wrote:

So for now I think both Sets are really strong ones but the QU-AX one
is much cheaper.

yes, that's where Im at.