I Must Have The Best All Purpose Unicycle

Old July 26th 03, 06:14 PM
Borges

Default I Must Have The Best All Purpose Unicycle

The problems as I see them:

Big wheels are fast, but heavy and weak.

Tyre clearance is good for muni, but sucks for some freestyle skills

IMHO a good compromise would be a 24" yuni.
A fat offroad tyre would make it a good muni. Kris Holm did some pretty
decent trials on a 24" with a fireball tyre . And 24" wheels are fine
for freestyle too.
The biggest compromise would be the speed when commuting.

I don't know what would be a good all round tyre.

Morten

--
Borges - High impact cerabellum workout
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

Old July 26th 03, 09:42 PM
XWonka

paco wrote:
*For trials, you're going to want a 20" with a fat tire;
For freestyle, you're going to want a 20" with a narrower tire;
For commuting, you're going to want at least a 26" (29 or Coker would
be better).*

I think i have decided on a 20". Maybe, i dunno, i'm not sure. I have
currently a 24" and it has done me pretty well so far so i'm wondering
if i should just stick the the 24" or use the uni i have now exclusively
for commuting and just get a 20".

That 'fireball tire'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=677) looks pretty good
as an all around tire if i got the 24".

Do you think that if i bought another uni of unicycle.com and bought
that tire would they put that tire on the uni since i don't know crap
about construction? then the next question is.... what uni?

--
XWonka - "Hey Unicycle Guy"

"You can stop, anytime, Man- when you feel that special need to suck the
joy out of other people, just go for a ride on the wheel instead.... you
might even feel better... "
-Christopher to ' Rowan' (http://tinyurl.com/gvxc)

One wheel to rule them all

"Sarah is in trouble, and needs help from a boy with a snake on his
face." -Jimmy from Ed, Edd, and Eddy
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

Old July 27th 03, 12:02 AM
Krashin'Kenny

If you do go with the 24" Yuni, I'm pretty sure that unicycle.com would
swap out the tire before they deliver the uni. I bought my 28'r from
them and they swapped out the cranks for shorter ones for me. If you do
decide to go for a 24x3 Yuni, I would strongly suggest to upgrade to a
26" frame for $10 more. That way if you decide to get into muni later, a
Gazz will fit with sufficient clearance.
If you decide to go with a 20", see if unicycle.com still has the
Summit for $249. That looks like one sweeeeeeet deal on a 20" trials or
freestyle uni!

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!
Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old July 27th 03, 05:58 AM
James_Potter

20" will work for Trials and MUni, but they are almost -useless- for
commuting. I would suggest a 24 or 26 inch one with a wide tire.

--
James_Potter - Order of Merlin, first class

-"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided."

--Albus Dumbledore-

Old July 27th 03, 08:08 AM
XWonka

XWonka wrote:
*I Uni to work (quite a distance) but speed is no concern, I enjoy a
nice slow pace anyway. *

thought that bore some repeating

Old July 27th 03, 05:06 PM
James_Potter

Oh, okay. A 20" will work for you, then.

Old July 28th 03, 03:42 AM
unisteve

But no one has mentioned the most useless bicycle you will ever set eyes
on: The Huffy Monkey Bike (or similar ). It can't go fast, it's no
good for technical or trials terrain (solid nylon tire), and it might
get you looked at more than on a uni. It also hurts one's knees and
back on a ride lasting more than about five minutes. It is, however,
quite good at the downhill stuff, provided it is on pavement and you
don't turn too much. BTW, it has six-inch wheels.
'Here is a pic of the amazing useless monkey bike. (scroll down to
bottom of page)' (http://www.geocities.com/unicyclemaniacs/other.html)

I mean, in keeping with Mr. Harper's rapid change of subject.

--
unisteve - Creator of SAUTUMOV

"I live on the edge. Sometimes I fall off."

"The saying, 'It's not if you win or lose, but how you play the game'
was perpetuated by losers."
unisteve's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/543