Carbon Fiber trash

Old April 22nd 11, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
coterock

Default Carbon Fiber trash

Knowing that too many carbon frames are heading to the trash can,
Trek
has decided to take the bull by the horns. They have set up a
recycling program.
Makes me want to stay with Titanium since this validates the fact that
Carbon frames are disposable.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/trek...ycling-program

I know I know, fighter jets and 787s have carbon fiber wings etc. True
but they are not expected to crash. Hell, not being a 7/11 rider, if I
trashed a frame every time I crashed while racing...
Old April 22nd 11, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/trek...us-carbon-fibe...

I know I know, fighter jets and 787s have carbon fiber wings etc. True
but they are not expected to crash. Hell, not being a 7/11 rider, if I
trashed a frame every time I crashed while racing...

From that article:
"According to Trek's press release, the recycled materials will be,
"used in reinforced thermoplastic applications while research and
development is ongoing for use in automotive, aerospace, medical, and
recreational applications.""

In other words they'll chop the **** up and use it for filler.

Old April 22nd 11, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jim Feeley

RicodJour wrote:

On Apr 21, 11:16*pm, coterock wrote:
Knowing that too many carbon frames are heading to the trash can,
Trek
has decided to take the bull by the horns. *They have set up a
recycling program.
Makes me want to stay with Titanium since this validates the fact that
Carbon frames are disposable.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/trek...us-carbon-fibe...

I know I know, fighter jets and 787s have carbon fiber wings etc. True
but they are not expected to crash. Hell, not being a 7/11 rider, if I
trashed a frame every time I crashed while racing...

From that article:
"According to Trek's press release, the recycled materials will be,
"used in reinforced thermoplastic applications while research and
development is ongoing for use in automotive, aerospace, medical, and
recreational applications.""

In other words they'll chop the **** up and use it for filler.

High-performance lunch trays and park benches?

Jim
--
Jim
Jim Feeley

Old April 22nd 11, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Apr 22, 11:25*am, Jim Feeley wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Apr 21, 11:16 pm, coterock wrote:
Knowing that too many carbon frames are heading to the trash can,
Trek
has decided to take the bull by the horns. They have set up a
recycling program.
Makes me want to stay with Titanium since this validates the fact that
Carbon frames are disposable.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/trek...us-carbon-fibe....

I know I know, fighter jets and 787s have carbon fiber wings etc. True
but they are not expected to crash. Hell, not being a 7/11 rider, if I
trashed a frame every time I crashed while racing...

From that article:
"According to Trek's press release, the recycled materials will be,
"used in reinforced thermoplastic applications while research and
development is ongoing for use in automotive, aerospace, medical, and
recreational applications.""

In other words they'll chop the **** up and use it for filler.

High-performance lunch trays and park benches?

Master Fatties will become senior fatties right about...now. Who
wouldn't want to be the first one in their group home with a carbon
fiber lunch tray?

Old April 22nd 11, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni[_3_]

"coterock" wrote in message
: Knowing that too many carbon frames are heading to the trash can,
: Trek
: has decided to take the bull by the horns. They have set up a
: recycling program.
: Makes me want to stay with Titanium since this validates the fact that
: Carbon frames are disposable.

Dumbass -

They are disposble if you race, given the odds of having a couple good
crashes in a full season. If you're not at a level where sponsors pay for
your bikes, it's not the best frame material if money is a consideration.

OTOH, carbon is fine for Freds.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Old April 23rd 11, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jim Feeley

RicodJour wrote:
On Apr 21, 11:16 pm, coterock wrote:
Knowing that too many carbon frames are heading to the trash can,
Trek
has decided to take the bull by the horns. They have set up a
recycling program.
Makes me want to stay with Titanium since this validates the fact that
Carbon frames are disposable.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/trek...us-carbon-fibe..

..

I know I know, fighter jets and 787s have carbon fiber wings etc. True
but they are not expected to crash. Hell, not being a 7/11 rider, if I
trashed a frame every time I crashed while racing...

From that article:
"According to Trek's press release, the recycled materials will be,
"used in reinforced thermoplastic applications while research and
development is ongoing for use in automotive, aerospace, medical, and
recreational applications.""

In other words they'll chop the **** up and use it for filler.

High-performance lunch trays and park benches?

Master Fatties will become senior fatties right about...now. Who
wouldn't want to be the first one in their group home with a carbon
fiber lunch tray?

Oh crap:

Carbon fiber canes:
http://www.walking-canes.net/carbonfiber.aspx

And a medical walker:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11283259
"Lightweight and durable carbon-fiber reinforced aluminum frame"
"When you need to take a break from walking, take a seat on the ergonomic memory
foam cushion and lean comfortably against the padded curved back rest."
"Your Deluxe Rolling Walker comes equipped with a holder for your favorite
beverage or colostomy bag (not supplied."

This all sounds too much like next-gen Body Geometry items.

Jim

--
Jim
Jim Feeley