Who can Paint a Vintage Frame

Old July 17th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Default Who can Paint a Vintage Frame

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 15, 8:56 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

Funny thing that CyclArt can charge more for a paint job on a bike than
Tommy the Greek did for a complete car.

Indeed. If you have a Pinto or a Vega get a few cans of Rustoleum and
have at it. If you have a vintage Ferrari you'll probably do something
a bit better than the $99 Maaco special.

What did D+D charge your friend for the black/orange job? I'm
actually curious as I'm considering a respray of an old Basso
frameset.

I see you have no idea who Tommy the Greek was. No surprise from someone who
believes that $600 for a paint job on a bicycle is somehow justified.

Old July 17th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article . net,

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 15, 8:56 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

Funny thing that CyclArt can charge more for a paint job on a bike than
Tommy the Greek did for a complete car.

Indeed. If you have a Pinto or a Vega get a few cans of Rustoleum and
have at it. If you have a vintage Ferrari you'll probably do something
a bit better than the $99 Maaco special.

What did D+D charge your friend for the black/orange job? I'm
actually curious as I'm considering a respray of an old Basso
frameset.

I see you have no idea who Tommy the Greek was. No surprise from someone who
believes that $600 for a paint job on a bicycle is somehow justified.

Tom, you do realize that when guys like von Dutch and T the G were painting cars
for the prices you're intimating, it was in the '50s. You don't think their prices
would have gone up in the meantime? Christ, von Dutch used to stripe for $6.00 an
hour - I assure you his rate would be far higher now (if he was alive, of course).
Have you priced a quality paint job on a car now at a *good* shop? It's far more than
you seem to think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOaEhMHe3jo

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old July 17th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

"Howard Kveck" wrote in message

Tom, you do realize that when guys like von Dutch and T the G were
painting cars
for the prices you're intimating, it was in the '50s. You don't think
their prices
would have gone up in the meantime? Christ, von Dutch used to stripe for
$6.00 an
hour - I assure you his rate would be far higher now (if he was alive, of
course).
Have you priced a quality paint job on a car now at a *good* shop? It's
far more than
you seem to think.

This guy's going rate is apparently $100/hr

http://landrys-life-blog.blogspot.co...llen-hero.html

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...8?opendocument

Of course that doesn't include the price of irony that her son was killed to
help ensure there would be fuel to drive that thing around.

Old July 17th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article , "Carl Sundquist"
wrote:

"Howard Kveck" wrote in message

Tom, you do realize that when guys like von Dutch and T the G were
painting cars for the prices you're intimating, it was in the '50s. You don't
think their prices would have gone up in the meantime? Christ, von Dutch used
to stripe for $6.00 an hour - I assure you his rate would be far higher now
(if he was alive, of course). Have you priced a quality paint job on a car now
at a *good* shop? It'sfar more than you seem to think.

This guy's going rate is apparently $100/hr

http://landrys-life-blog.blogspot.co...e-to-her-falle
n-hero.html

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...A8525712500828
558?opendocument

__________________

"Two hundred and fifty man-hours later, Powell had completed the vehicle. The
custom job would have cost $25,000. Out of respect for Comfort's loss and the
sacrifices the Marines made, AirbrushGuy & Co. did it for free. Comfort only had to
purchase the paint, which cost $3,000."
__________________

Three grand for materials. It isn't cheap.

Of course that doesn't include the price of irony that her son was killed to
help ensure there would be fuel to drive that thing around.

Yeah, there is that.

Old July 17th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

I was a friend of Tommy and saw him just a few years ago before he died. We
were both invited to a motorcycle show that introduced a spectacularly great
bike built by a late great friend of mine - two Indian 80's put together so
well that it appeared to be a factory V4 from the 1920's. The builder was a
friend of mine and the builder's son was a friend of both mine and Tommy's.

I'm well aware what fancy paint jobs on cars are/were going for and that
still doesn't make $600 paint jobs on a steel bike justified.

As for the pretense that it is somehow significantly harder to put on an
epoxy paint instead of a powdercoat - only someone blowing smoke would say
that.

Old July 17th 07, 08:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Carl Sundquist wrote:
Of course that doesn't include the price of irony that her son was killed to
help ensure there would be fuel to drive that thing around.

Howard Kveck wrote:
Yeah, there is that.

Irony Inc. will be trading on the stock exchange soon.

Old July 17th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Banned

On Jul 13, 2:35 pm, "chrismhaney" wrote:
I have a mid 80's Eddy Merck I would like to have repainted to original
condition.
Any suggestions as to who might do this?

Chris

http://www.boulderbikecrafters.com/

They are painting my Merckx now..I supplied the decals but they can
have them made.

Old July 17th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

How much would YOU have to charge to do the job and make a profit. Remember this
isn't just painting a bike. That's what I or apparently you might want, a
freshly painted bike. This is for people who want to admire the perfection of
their bike. It's a different thing and takes longer. You also get to pay more
because there are a lot of people in line to get that kind of work and for any
craftsman the answer to overlong waiting lists is to raise the price.

As for the pretense that it is somehow significantly harder to put on an
epoxy paint instead of a powdercoat - only someone blowing smoke would say
that.

It's only harder if you do it to a higher standard. And under the best of
conditions requires more skilled man hours of work.

Ron

Old July 17th 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

in message ,

In article . net,

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Objection, your honour!

Those guys are clearly not members of LIVEDRUNK!

Q: Whats a webmaster?
A: Like a spider, but nowhere near as intelligent.
Old July 17th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jul 16, 9:39 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

I was a friend of Tommy and saw him just a few years ago before he died.

So let's provide a link here already:

http://www.herbmartinez.com/tommy/tommy.htm

Whoops, and pffft! there goes one little corner of the Vast Secret
Kunowlege. Thank God for the Internet!

I'm well aware what fancy paint jobs on cars are/were going for and that
still doesn't make $600 paint jobs on a steel bike justified.

The CycleArt sticker, and of course the really correct decals, and
maybe even the really correct color all add up.

Cost me more than that to get my ducts cleaned in the new house. Time
marches on, and COL goes up.

Praise be to entrepreneurs who provide services people want at prices
they're willing to pay.

Myself, I'm riding a nice old Litespeed Catalyst that someone else
took the decals off of (except the one little flag thing). At last, a
bike I can ride w/o concern for the cosmetics. --D-y