Cycling to work banned

Old January 26th 04, 12:45 AM
MonkeyBoy

Default Cycling to work banned

How does this law apply to mothers riding with children on their
bikes? I occasionally see a mom with two and even three kids on
bikes! They ride like bats outta hell too :-)

-MB
Old January 26th 04, 01:00 AM
MonkeyBoy

Michael Cash wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:52:20 -0000, "Tony Raven"
brought down from the Mount tablets inscribed:

Michael Cash wrote:

That old chestnut needs to be retired on a full pension already. The
operant expression these days would be the one which makes mention of
squeaky wheels and grease.

In what way is it an old chestnut. AFAIK the nail that gets hammered is an
old Japanese saying while the squeaky wheel being greased in an American one
which has not been adopted into Japanese culture. The two though nicely
contrast the cultures though.

I don't give a **** if the expression has been adopted into Japanese
culture or not. Based on personal empirical observations over the
course of three visits to Japan, I'm telling you that I have seen more
squeaky wheels greased than I have seen protruding nails hammered
down.

Now if we can find a way to get one's protruding nail greased . . .
then, my friends, we're really on to something.

-MB
Old January 26th 04, 01:06 AM
Dave Fossett

"MonkeyBoy" wrote:

How does this law apply to mothers riding with children on their
bikes? I occasionally see a mom with two and even three kids on
bikes! They ride like bats outta hell too :-)

It's illegal in Japan (but not uncommon) to have more than one child seated
on a bike. I believe it is legal to have one child seated and another
strapped to your back.

--
Dave Fossett
Saitama, Japan

Old January 26th 04, 11:18 AM
Tony Raven

MonkeyBoy wrote:

Now if we can find a way to get one's protruding nail greased . . .
then, my friends, we're really on to something.

There is probably an Imperial decree forbidding that as it would in an instant
disable all those nightingale floors ;-)

Tony

Old January 26th 04, 12:07 PM
James Annan

MonkeyBoy wrote:

How does this law apply to mothers riding with children on their
bikes? I occasionally see a mom with two and even three kids on
bikes! They ride like bats outta hell too :-)

It seems to be unequivocally OK, so long as the bike is properly
specified for it (eg child seats, and presumably a tandem would be fine
too) BUT the children must be under 6 (um...no older than 6?) and the
driver 16 or more.

But anyway, it is quite clear that our problem is not about laws or
rules per se: rules and laws are routinely broken all over the place
here, with plenty of tacit and even explicit approval, and the law that
we are breaking is an utterly trivial one that has never been enforced
to my knowledge in Japan (and I know of quite a lot of keen tandemers
who have lived here for many years in total, including one couple who
commuted to work by tandem). It's all about strange people behaving
_differently_. If we were riding on the pavement (or the wrong side of
the road) with no lights at night, no-one would give a ****, so long as
we were riding single bikes.

James

Old January 26th 04, 11:20 PM
Michael Cash

On 25 Jan 2004 17:00:18 -0800, (MonkeyBoy)

Michael Cash wrote:

That old chestnut needs to be retired on a full pension already. The
operant expression these days would be the one which makes mention of
squeaky wheels and grease.

In what way is it an old chestnut. AFAIK the nail that gets hammered is an
old Japanese saying while the squeaky wheel being greased in an American one
which has not been adopted into Japanese culture. The two though nicely
contrast the cultures though.

I don't give a **** if the expression has been adopted into Japanese
culture or not. Based on personal empirical observations over the
course of three visits to Japan, I'm telling you that I have seen more
squeaky wheels greased than I have seen protruding nails hammered
down.

Now if we can find a way to get one's protruding nail greased . . .
then, my friends, we're really on to something.

There exist in great abundance facilities where one can have one's
knob polished. Let us give thanks to God for the blessings He has
bestowed upon us, and refrain from grousing about those He, in His
Infinite Wisdom, has withheld.

--

Michael Cash

"I am sorry, Mr. Cash, but we are unable to accept your rap sheet in lieu of
a high school transcript."

Dr. Howard Sprague
Dean of Admissions
Mount Pilot College
Old January 26th 04, 11:21 PM
Michael Cash

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:06:55 +0900, "Dave Fossett"

"MonkeyBoy" wrote:

How does this law apply to mothers riding with children on their
bikes? I occasionally see a mom with two and even three kids on
bikes! They ride like bats outta hell too :-)

It's illegal in Japan (but not uncommon) to have more than one child seated
on a bike. I believe it is legal to have one child seated and another
strapped to your back.

Incorrect in two ways.

1. The law varies. In Tokyo, for example, it varies from one ward to
another.

2. Kids strapped onto Mommy count.

Old January 27th 04, 01:00 AM
pmailkeey

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:15:29 +0900, James Annan
wrote:

The real reason behind this is that my wife and I are recidivist

You've been listening to too much Saga105.7FM - John Darvall's late
evenig show with word quiz !

In Japan (in a clear contrast with the UK), the commute to work is
partly the responsibility of the employer.

I'd like to see employees being on the payrol from the moment they
step out of the front door. It would really encourage employers to
recruit within a cyclable dictionary !

[sorry, "recidivist" is not in my comprehensive "distance" and my mind
is somewhat at cross-purposes with itself. Thought I'd leave the error
in, it's funny !]
--
Comm again, Mike.
Old January 27th 04, 08:15 AM
Tony Raven

pmailkeey wrote:

It would really encourage employers to
recruit within a cyclable dictionary !

?!

Tony

Old January 27th 04, 09:04 AM
Louise Bremner

Tony Raven wrote:

pmailkeey wrote:

It would really encourage employers to
recruit within a cyclable dictionary !

?!

Maybe the result of an unsupervised spell-check?

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!