Would you pay $10,000 to ride with Lance?

Old November 4th 03, 03:43 PM
Fastest Fat Climber

Default Would you pay $10,000 to ride with Lance?

"Scott" wrote in message
om...
jhuskey wrote in message

Kevan Smith wrote:
On 4 Nov 2003 04:30:04 +1050, jhuskey

from wrote:

I getting a slight hint you don't like our man Lance. The next

thing
we know you will tell us you don't like George Bush. When will the
madness end?
Here's the official rating scale ( 1 to 10, with 10 being best)
Lance Armstrong = 8
George Bush = 2
F. Mazzoleni = 11
--
real e-mail addy: kevansmith23 at yahoo dot com brain tissue reads

the
semantic and lovely play

If I were rating the person I think would be the coolest companion on a
ride I would say Robin Williams. I understand that he loves to cycle and
I say that would be an interesting ride. I am not sure if Elizabeth
Hurley has a bike but it poses an interesting scenario.

Warning: Sexist remark coming!

I'd LOVE to draft Hurley for...oh...say...a month! Though having her
on my rear with a view of her in my mirror would have its benefits,
too. Ah, charity!

Scott

Didn't some BayWatch chick do the Iron Man a few years ago? I don't
remember who, but with her I'd bet you'd get nice scenery and a good
workout!

Old November 4th 03, 04:34 PM
Dave Lehnen

Fastest Fat Climber wrote:

snip

Didn't some BayWatch chick do the Iron Man a few years ago? I don't
remember who, but with her I'd bet you'd get nice scenery and a good
workout!

Alexandra Paul did the Ironman, and was also in the bike movie
"American Flyers", as the girlfriend of the younger bike-racing
brother. Not a great movie overall, but interesting in parts,
with some old Coors Classic footage.

Dave Lehnen

Old November 4th 03, 06:08 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article m,
says...

"Art Harris" wrote in message
. com...
That's the minimum bid on eBay to take part in a MTB ride with Mr.
Armstrong. The ride (in Los Angeles) is limited to 25 participants.

It's a fund raiser for charity. It makes at least as much sense as a $10,000
a plate dinner of cold chicken.

If you read the text of the auction is says
Your purchase is not deductible as a charitable contribution.
Makes me wonder why it isn't? Price is also down to $5000.
---------------
Alex

Old November 5th 03, 01:53 AM
Mike Kruger

"Alex Rodriguez" wrote in message

If you read the text of the auction is says
Your purchase is not deductible as a charitable contribution.
Makes me wonder why it isn't? Price is also down to $5000.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that's because the charitable
deduction was taken at the other end.
If someone donated this spot, and took a $10,000 tax donation for it, then
it is worth $10,000. The person
bidding on it is therefore getting something worth $10,000; because they are
getting something of value equal to
their donation, they can't deduct it.

Maybe an example will help. If I donate an old beater to a church rummage
sale, I might take a $20 tax deduction for the donation. However, someone
who bought it from the rummage sale for $20 can't take a deduction, because
they received something worth $20 in exchange. (On the other hand, if they
just donated $20 to the church, they could take the deduction.)

I'm not a tax lawyer, though.

Old November 5th 03, 03:36 AM
Rick Onanian

Note: This message was queued when I expected it to be immediately
sent. Sending much later now...

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 07:04:54 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
in the paper with a check presentation. Seems to me they're more concerned

about
good publicity than just giving the money. I think this auction, if it is

for
charity, may be more of the same type of thing. I'll be happy to be wrong.

I know what you mean (about charity done for the sake of publicity), but
you've got to look at the positive side of it as well... that the publicity
regarding the charity may inspire more people to give (people who do so
selflessly, and became aware of the need due to the publicity).

Yeah, I know, I'm reaching...

It's not necessary to reach. Doesn't the result matter more than
the intent? The charity is getting a bunch of money! We get so
caught up in the idea that somebody's not doing it for the right
reason, that we forget that they're doing it at all!

It's not evil to donate to charity with apparent selfish intent.
Our intent is selfish whether or not it's obviously so. The "I get
a warm fuzzy feeling" reason is OK, but not the "I get publicity".
Either one is good for that person, and good for that charity. It's
a win-win situation. What's less selfish about giving to get the
warm-fuzzy-feeling? It's still selfish. There's nothing wrong with
selfish until it hurts or takes from somebody else.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

--
Rick Onanian
Old November 6th 03, 06:03 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

Zoot Katz wrote in message ...
4 Nov 2003 09:34:00 +1050, ,
Memphmann wrote:

Who the heck is Fabrizzio?????

Memph

Mr. Mazzoleni to you.

Zoot, why are you responding to a newbie FRED like memphmann?

We don't put in the bike miles that we do just to have to talk with those 'types'.
Old November 8th 03, 04:14 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

Zoot Katz wrote in message
Fab, I still can't believe I bought a pair of those goofy twist grip
shifters today.

Not sure just what those things are, but now you can go low-end and
put on Campy Chorus ergopower as they now have the body and lever
built in composite just like the Records.

However I would stay with Record as the Chorus levers come in at a
whooping 348 grams compared to the Records at 324 grams.

348 grams for a super climber like Me is totally unacceptable, but for
a lamer like you guys just stick with Campy's Chorus groupset.

65 mile ride, my problems, etc. [long, you probably don't care, etc] Rick Onanian General 46 August 21st 03 12:53 PM
Bonking and food for a ride Sandy Christmus General 38 August 9th 03 08:44 PM
SF Willie Brown to Receive NBG, Berkeley Mayor to ride with NBG Just a Cyclist General 1 August 7th 03 05:00 PM
Group ride questions Ken General 4 July 24th 03 01:05 AM
Ride well out into the lane where the cars go? Tanya Quinn General 3 July 10th 03 03:52 AM