Front Sus: Utility Bike?

Old October 6th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Front Sus: Utility Bike?

I don't get it.

http://tinyurl.com/3jm6of
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 6th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Baldwin

Pete Cresswell writes:

I don't get it.
http://tinyurl.com/3jm6of
--
PeteCresswell

Frame / Fork look very similar to the many pre-TI Hercules models I've
had. I think this bike was made and/or sold in India.

In "unsupported" form, the forks on my Hercules were quite, well let's
just say they were "compliant". Until I built up a fixie minus fenders,
I hadn't realized just how compliant these forks actually were, seeing
is believing indeed!

Upscale Hawthorns, Schwinns and Elgins all had such additions to their
forks. Some solid, some sprung. This is the first roadster that I've
seen so equipped.
Note the Model name on this example _Atlas_ on seat tube and Super
Strong on down tube. My pov is 60/40, marketing/function.

Thanks for sharing - Mike Baldwin

Old October 7th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Michael Baldwin:
In "unsupported" form, the forks on my Hercules were quite, well let's
just say they were "compliant".

So, even though the fork's aren't articulated, they flex enough
for the spring to come in to play?
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 7th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Baldwin

Pete Cresswell writes:

So, even though the fork's aren't articulated, they flex enough
for the spring to come in to play?

Pete, when properly adjusted, the springs are always "in play", even
unladen. The apparatus is simply pre-loading the fork with resistance.

A forgiving means of reinforcement for a standard set of forks that
still provided a relative comfortable ride.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin