She Who Bicycles With Fishes

Old November 20th 03, 04:25 PM
Sorni

Default She Who Bicycles With Fishes

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message

The water was deep enough in long sections on A1A that our feet were
under water WHILE PEDALING. However, due to the HUGE tailwind, we
were still rolling 30-40mph through most of it, throwing a nice wake.

Travis???

Bill "inside joke for A.M-Bers" S.

Old November 20th 03, 05:43 PM
David Reuteler

Jym Dyer wrote:
: "The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and,
: when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and
: get a new one without shocking the entire community."
: -- Ann Strong, _Minneapolis_Tribune_, 1895

hmmmm, the strib has gotten a tad bit more conservative over the years.
i like the quote, tho.
--
david reuteler

Old November 20th 03, 06:56 PM
Marlene Blanshay

In article , Mark Hickey
wrote:

"Claire Petersky" wrote:

...but I gave it a try this morning. I spotted the Road Closed sign, but I
figured, "how bad could it be?", being too lazy to turn around and ride back
up the hill. I found out how bad it could be. The waters of Richard's Creek
went way over the tops of my neoprene booties as I gingerly walked the bike
through the icy, fast-moving water. The officer stationed there said, "Got
your feet wet?" and I admitted, "A little".

My wife and I once got caught in a full-blown (pun intended) tropical
storm in south Florida. The rest of the country only THINKS they know
what "heavy rain" looks like...

I remember being in Florida during the summer, twice and seeing a couple
of major storms. It didn't rain much, but when it did, YIKES! They weren't
tropical storms, probably just major depressions or tropical depressions.
I have never seen anything like that! The rain comes down in SHEETS, you
can't even step outside without getting totally drenched, and it doesn't
just blow over, it rains for hours. It's like a huge bucket being poured
on your head. And the thunder and lighting sound like you're in a grenade
range! You're right, rainstorms in a tropical zone are like nothing else.
Old November 20th 03, 06:59 PM
Marlene Blanshay

In article , Mike Latondresse
wrote:

"Claire Petersky" wrote in

On my ride this morning the real issue wasn't snow that was
rapidly melting under the pelting rain. Instead it was floodwater,
from a day and a half or so of hard rain and apparently over night
snow.

Amazing how different the weather can be in two reasonably adjacent
regions. Both today and yeaterday were lovely and sunny here in
Vancouver and supposed to be nice tomorrow too...great riding. Don't
worry we will get ours.

We've been having unseasonably warm weather here in Montreal, temp was 14C
yesterday, although it was raining. Today it's about 7 (about 43f) which
is still way above normal. We went out on the cross bikes a couple of days
ago, but it got very cold and windy and my feet froze, so we cut it short.
It's so unfair that it's mild, but gets dark so soon! WAAAAA! I wish it
were july! In the meantime, if it continues this way, I'll probably do
something I almost never get to do- go for a ride on my birthday, next
weekend!
Old November 20th 03, 07:54 PM
Dane Jackson

Claire Petersky wrote:
On my ride this morning the real issue wasn't snow that was rapidly melting
under the pelting rain. Instead it was floodwater, from a day and a half or
so of hard rain and apparently over night snow. I skipped Kamber Road
yesterday, figuring it would be flooded...

(which reminds me -- where were all of you yesterday? Dane? Where were you?
Huh? I had the I-90 trail practically to myself! What's up with that?)

Hey!! I did cycle in to work, eventually. I was really lagging yesterday,
so I didn't leave the house until after nine sometime. It definitely was
lonely out yesterday. This morning also actually.

...but I gave it a try this morning. I spotted the Road Closed sign, but I
figured, "how bad could it be?", being too lazy to turn around and ride back
up the hill. I found out how bad it could be. The waters of Richard's Creek
went way over the tops of my neoprene booties as I gingerly walked the bike
through the icy, fast-moving water. The officer stationed there said, "Got
your feet wet?" and I admitted, "A little".

Wednesday wasn't as bad as tuesday morning. A couple times I was cycling
through spots of water so deep I was immersed up to my ankles (while I was
coasting with the pedals at half mast). I probably should have sacrificed
one of my feet and let the other get soaked. Though really, it was kind
of moot, you can only get so wet.

I think the word for the week is "soppy".

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are
Old November 20th 03, 08:02 PM
Dane Jackson

Claire Petersky wrote:

Same creek. It floods all the time. It's an ESA-protected salmon stream, so
what the City can do is limited. The hill coming down to the creek is a
blast -- it's where I've set all my personal best speed records. But when
the weather is like it has been, I'm not doing any 50+ mph descents!

It is indeed a nice fast road. I also set my personal best speed record
on it. The mind wobbles at the notion of putting bike lanes on it. That
just seems like a *really* bad idea.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"AOL would be a giant diesel-smoking bus with hundreds of ebola victims on
Old November 21st 03, 12:12 AM
Tom Keats

In article WjXub.192459$9E1.1032894@attbi_s52,
"Claire Petersky" writes:

Same creek. It floods all the time. It's an ESA-protected salmon stream, so
what the City can do is limited. The hill coming down to the creek is a
blast -- it's where I've set all my personal best speed records. But when
the weather is like it has been, I'm not doing any 50+ mph descents!

You inspired me to Google search on "amphibike". It coughed-up some
pretty interesting results, although they'd be more interesting to
DIYers, than to folks who are primarily more practicality-oriented,
even with occasional wetfoot. A plain ol' bike still suits its
purposes admirably.

I guess amphibikes suit their purposes admiralably R, D&C

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old November 21st 03, 05:49 AM
Mark Hickey

"Sorni" wrote:

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message
.. .

The water was deep enough in long sections on A1A that our feet were
under water WHILE PEDALING. However, due to the HUGE tailwind, we
were still rolling 30-40mph through most of it, throwing a nice wake.

Travis???

Bill "inside joke for A.M-Bers" S.

Hey! ;-) I have a witness (she thought it was a fun ride from her
perspective on back of the twofer).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old November 21st 03, 07:21 AM
Andrew Price

"Claire Petersky" wrote:
. I spotted the Road Closed sign, but I
figured, "how bad could it be?", being too lazy to turn around and ride

back
up the hill. I found out how bad it could be. The waters of Richard's

Creek
went way over the tops of my neoprene booties as I gingerly walked the

bike
through the icy, fast-moving water. The officer stationed there said,

"Got
your feet wet?" and I admitted, "A little".

The ride everyone here calls "going round the block" on Sydney's north is up
and back to a pretty national park called Bobbin Head which does a quick
descent of about 500m to the park at sea level.

Couple of years ago about this time of year (when we get the king tides) the
seawater was across the road, not by much but as one distraught riding
companion remarked "its never done that before!!"

So all the boys and girls took off their shoes and socks and did a bike
porterage for 100m, much aggravated at this unscheduled interruption to our
progress at Warp Factor IV - and ours was much warmer water Claire !

but while putting the footwear back on, I did start to wonder what global
warming might do to some of our favourite rides ...

best, Andrew

"But riding is my special gift, my chiefest, sole delight;
Just ask a wild duck can it swim, a wildcat can it fight...
I'll ride this here two-wheeled concern, right straight away, at sight."
A B 'Banjo' Patterson - "Mulga Bill" 25 July 1896.

Old November 22nd 03, 04:46 AM
cheg

"Andrew Price" wrote in message

but while putting the footwear back on, I did start to wonder what

global
warming might do to some of our favourite rides ...

Theoretically, the water could rise 80 meters from where it is today.
That would turn my city, Seattle, into an island group.