NY Tiimes article on biking

Old November 9th 05, 03:42 AM

Default NY Tiimes article on biking

Do they? Have you ever been to Europe? Well I have many times and
Europeans practice at least equal hygiene to Americans. Actually it's
it's a lot more when you consider they have different treaments over
there such as foot gels and such. Go to Holland. You will find nearly
everyone clean as a whistle.

Old November 9th 05, 03:46 AM

One thing the article doesn't mention that usually around major
airports in the US you have dangerous neighborhoods where you are at
serious risk for being a victim of violent crime if you are on a
bicycle.

Old November 9th 05, 04:27 AM
Mike Kruger

"mark" wrote in message news:3I4cf.5819

I cycled to and from London Heathrow to start and end my Scotland tour in
May 04, and to and from Gatwick for my England/Wales/Ireland tour in 2000.
I have to agree with the man, cycling to and from the airport is
definitely the most enjoyable way I've found to start and end a plane
journey.
--

George Farnsworth has this nice site on getting in and out of airports:
http://www.bikeaccess.net/BikeAccess/Default.cfm?Index

One thing to remember if you bike to the airport: you can't carry ANY tools
with you in carry-on luggage in the U.S. I had to abandon a nice adjustable
wrench due to this regulation. (I'd previously carried my repair kit with me
on several trips to avoid having it stolen off the bike, but I guess they
just hadn't noticed it before.)

Old November 9th 05, 04:49 AM

Rich Clark wrote:

My need for daily showers puzzled and amused them.

Yes, I admit, I need a daily shower. I suppose it's what we're used to
over here.

OTOH, I have no need to shower after I ride to work. That's true in
Ohio, and it was true when I lived in Georgia.

As my doctor once explained to me: Your sweat should not stink. If it
does, it's due to the presence of certain specific bacteria. He
recommended a strong anti-bacterial soap (like surgeons use) and buying
all new undershirts, to prevent re-colonization. It worked perfectly.

Since then, I've had the problem crop up a couple times. (That's a
couple times in 20 years.) I found that Listerine is as effective as
the anti-bacterial soap. Use it on your underarms after showering for
a few days. It works.

- Frank Krygowski

Old November 9th 05, 06:09 AM
mark

"Mike Kruger" wrote
George Farnsworth has this nice site on getting in and out of airports:
http://www.bikeaccess.net/BikeAccess/Default.cfm?Index

One thing to remember if you bike to the airport: you can't carry ANY
tools with you in carry-on luggage in the U.S. I had to abandon a nice
adjustable wrench due to this regulation. (I'd previously carried my
repair kit with me on several trips to avoid having it stolen off the
bike, but I guess they just hadn't noticed it before.)

I've used Mr Farnsworth's site, and in fact I posted my Heathrow experience
on it. I was hoping to get another source of info, since Mr. de Jong seems
to take a very thorough approach to finding routes in and out of various
airports.

I kind of assumed that I wouldn't be able to include tools or other metal
implements that could be used as weapons in my carry on bag. My repair kit
and anything remotely likely to upset the TSA crowd goes in checked luggage.
--
mark

Old November 9th 05, 06:30 AM

I was thinking of JFK, LaGuardia, Logan, Miami and Newark (especially).
And I didn't mean always right next to the airport. I mean to get from
the airport to the downtown city you usually pass through high crime
neighborhoods. This is not the case in Holland. The guy from Holland
may not have know about the sections of Brooklyn he rode through are
very dangerous day or night.

Old November 9th 05, 12:57 PM

It's a really cool ride from Paris to the Charles De Gaulle airport.
You get to ride along the promenade following the canal l'ourcq and
observe all the locals recreating themselves by the canal. No fence or
barrier to prevent anyone from falling in the canal; I guess they think
people are smart enough not to do that, and if they do, it's their
fault. Can you imagine how fast somebody would sue if we had a similar
canal and promenade in the U.S.?