"healthy" Bike Seats

Old October 7th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

Default "healthy" Bike Seats

"Tony S." wrote in message
I've been riding more this year and, even though I got new seats for each
of my bikes and got fitted for them, I still feel like it's not healthy in
the short or long run to ride a conventional seat. I was wondering if
anyone has any experience or serious thoughts on the following seat
models, or others:

http://bikeseats.org/moon-seat.htm

http://bikeseats.org/easyseat-bicycle-seat.htm

Just a random website I found via google, so not pitching it here. Thanks,

-Tony

Hard to beat the Brooks B-17: http://www.wallbike.com/B17.html

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/el...yal8-08-08.jpg

There is a break-in period, during which the leather will stretch where it
needs to. In other words, the saddle will be somewhat uncomfortable during
the break-in. After that, you have a comfortable, traditional, handsome
saddle, which will last a long time.

J.

Old October 7th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Tony S.:
http://bikeseats.org/easyseat-bicycle-seat.htm

They may work for some, but the one I've had hanging on my garage
wall for the past few years didn't even come close for me.

Others will chime in on the actual issues/causes/solutions around
"healthy".... which I take to mean undue perinial pressure.
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 7th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 11:14:58 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
wrote:

Tony S. wrote:

I've been riding more this year and, even though I got new seats for
each of my bikes and got fitted for them, I still feel like it's not
healthy in the short or long run to ride a conventional seat.

Funny how these things change dramatically after 150 or so years of
design refinement. I guess people's rear ends are made differently
now. At any moment, I suppose I'll have to replace all my chairs
because they're no longer healthy.

I'd imagine chairs made in the first couple of centuries after they
were invented weren't very good.
Old October 7th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Hank:
Those who rail about urological problems related to cycling have
something to sell you, preying on every man's worst fears and
insecurities.

I don't think my urologist is selling anything, but he is adamant
that bike riding is a "risk factor" in prostatitis.

I'll testify to that.... but I choose to deal with it rather than
sit around and wait to die.
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 7th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Oct 6, 1:56*pm, still just me wrote:
On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 12:46:50 -0700 (PDT), Hank
wrote:

I read that Jesus Christ himself designed the B-17.

From the apocryphal Gospel of Thomas:

"Lo, may your smiths craft a fork of iron, with a crescent-moon
joining the tines
And gather your finest calf's hide, and apply two handsbreadths
across,
flat as the sea of Gallillee in calm winds.
Copper rivets shall be no sign of vanity,
but of the care a shepherd shows his flock."

That's strictly New Testament stuff. Bike seats go way back before
that. The earliest reference I found was "thou shall not seethe thy
seat in the oil of neatsfoot".

You're buying into the whole "Young Brooks" theory, that says Brooks
has only been around since the B-17, but the fossil record shows
otherwise, that they were making saddles for camels and elephants, and
they were stamped "Made in Brittania."
Old October 7th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tony S. wrote:
I've been riding more this year and, even though I got new seats for
each of my bikes and got fitted for them, I still feel like it's not
healthy in the short or long run to ride a conventional seat. I was
wondering if anyone has any experience or serious thoughts on the
following seat models, or others:

http://bikeseats.org/moon-seat.htm

http://bikeseats.org/easyseat-bicycle-seat.htm

Just a random website I found via google, so not pitching it here.
Thanks,

This seat is much more comfortable that those - better than any
furniture I have encountered, in fact:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/1939606083/.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If my posts in general annoy or offend, please kill-file.
Old October 7th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

I read that Jesus Christ himself designed the B-17.

From the apocryphal Gospel of Thomas:

"Lo, may your smiths craft a fork of iron, with a crescent-moon
joining the tines
And gather your finest calf's hide, and apply two handsbreadths
across,
flat as the sea of Gallillee in calm winds.
Copper rivets shall be no sign of vanity,
but of the care a shepherd shows his flock."

That's strictly New Testament stuff. Bike seats go way back before
that. The earliest reference I found was "thou shall not seethe thy
seat in the oil of neatsfoot".

You're buying into the whole "Young Brooks" theory, that says Brooks
has only been around since the B-17, but the fossil record shows
otherwise, that they were making saddles for camels and elephants, and
they were stamped "Made in Brittania."

Dear Hank,

Some of the Dead Seat scrolls survive:
http://www.brookssaddles.com/en/yesteryear/1899_cy.html

More can be found by going to the Brooks site and clicking on heritage
and then yesteryear-catalogue-collection:
http://www.brookssaddles.com/brooksengland.html

The site is just as--er, just as traditional as the saddles, so be
patient.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 7th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Chalo wrote:
Tony S. wrote:
I've been riding more this year and, even though I got new seats for
each of my bikes and got fitted for them, I still feel like it's not
healthy in the short or long run to ride a conventional seat.

Funny how these things change dramatically after 150 or so years of
design refinement. I guess people's rear ends are made differently
now. At any moment, I suppose I'll have to replace all my chairs
because they're no longer healthy.

Chalo

how many italian males, you know, those guys with religious reverence
for their private parts, ride these kinds of saddles? how about the
french? [rhetorical]

oh, so it's just some weird american thing then - presumably because the
average american male is so much more delicate. do you think that maybe
marketing has something to do with it? since it was an american company
that started the current fad and all?

Old October 7th 08, 05:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Tony S. wrote:

I've been riding more this year and, even though I got new seats for
each of my bikes and got fitted for them, I still feel like it's not
healthy in the short or long run to ride a conventional seat.

Just so you can't say I never gave you nothin', here's my candidate
for the most comfortable all-around saddle-- as vetted by a guy who
applies more load to his saddle than most any two professional bike
racers put together:

http://www.electrabike.com/miva/merc...egory_Code=TSD

it's wide, firm, unsprung (unless you count hard rubber bumpers),
swaybacked and scooped-out, and generally hospitable without
interfering with the process of pushing pedals.

I could do without the lycra yoni in the middle, but I'll take it for
the sake of the saddle's other benefits.

I liked the Brooks B90/3, but that one has passed into history. It
was expensive and heavy as heck anyway.

Chalo

Old October 7th 08, 08:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

On 2008-10-07, jim beam wrote:
Chalo wrote:
Tony S. wrote:
I've been riding more this year and, even though I got new seats for
each of my bikes and got fitted for them, I still feel like it's not
healthy in the short or long run to ride a conventional seat.

Funny how these things change dramatically after 150 or so years of
design refinement. I guess people's rear ends are made differently
now. At any moment, I suppose I'll have to replace all my chairs
because they're no longer healthy.

Chalo

how many italian males, you know, those guys with religious reverence
for their private parts, ride these kinds of saddles? how about the
french? [rhetorical]

oh, so it's just some weird american thing then - presumably because the
average american male is so much more delicate.

Maybe he's just fatter and thus there's more weight on his equally
delicate ass. Is it OK to say Americans are fat?